Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Archive - Group Reads > The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly (spoilers) - September 2018

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (last edited Aug 08, 2018 02:38PM) (new)

Gem  Paullin | 1290 comments Mod
Hello fellow Crime, Mystery, and Thriller readers! This discussion is about The Lincoln Lawyer (Mickey Haller #1) by Michael Connelly, your hostess is Skye.

Please note if you have not finished reading the book spoilers are permitted in this discussion from the start.
The Lincoln Lawyer (Mickey Haller, #1; Harry Bosch Universe, #17) by Michael Connelly The Lincoln Lawyer (Mickey Haller, #1; Harry Bosch Universe, #17) by Michael Connelly The Lincoln Lawyer (Mickey Haller, #1; Harry Bosch Universe, #17) by Michael Connelly The Lincoln Lawyer (Mickey Haller, #1) by Michael Connelly The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly The Lincoln Lawyer (Mickey Haller, #1) by Michael Connelly The Lincoln Lawyer (Mickey Haller, #1) by Michael Connelly The Lincoln Lawyer (Mickey Haller, #1) by Michael Connelly The Lincoln Lawyer (Mickey Haller, #1) by Michael Connelly The Lincoln Lawyer A Richard and Judy bestseller (Mickey Haller Series) by Michael Connelly

Summary

Mickey Haller has spent all his professional life afraid that he wouldn't recognize innocence if it stood right in front of him. But what he should have been on the watch for was evil.

Haller is a Lincoln Lawyer, a criminal defense attorney who operates out of the backseat of his Lincoln Town Car, traveling between the far-flung courthouses of Los Angeles to defend clients of every kind. Bikers, con artists, drunk drivers, drug dealers - they're all on Mickey Haller's client list. For him, the law is rarely about guilt or innocence - it's about negotiation and manipulation. Sometimes it's even about justice.

A Beverly Hills playboy arrested for attacking a woman he picked up in a bar chooses Haller to defend him, and Mickey has his first high-paying client in years. It is a defense attorney's dream, what they call a franchise case. And as the evidence stacks up, Haller comes to believe this may be the easiest case of his career.

Then someone close to him is murdered and Haller discovers that his search for innocence has brought him face-to-face with evil as pure as a flame. To escape without being burned, he must deploy every tactic, feint, and instinct in his arsenal - this time to save his own life.

message 2: by Bicky (new)

Bicky | 35 comments Considering the actual guilt of his 2 different clients. Haller comes up with an ingenious plan to get his present client Roulet arrested for murder after being declared innocent in the trial for assault on a different woman so that the conviction of his previous client Menendez can be overturned. However, I have some doubts because it is not clear to me how Gloria incentivized Corliss (since Gloria apparently kept the entire 25,000$) to totally zap the prosecution with his supposed revelations. Despite the cops being happy, the prosecutor definitely would not have been and though Corliss might have evaded perjury charges he still will never be trusted by the DA's office again.
Given the justified nature of Haller's hatred of Roulet, we can only sit back and enjoy seeing Roulet discovering that he has been too clever for his own good. But when reading legal thrillers, I prefer defence attorneys who get their clients off without getting them put back in prison. But it is a great one time idea and I always enjoy reading Michael Connelly and Heller is a very likeable man.

message 3: by Skye (new)

Skye | 200 comments Sometimes being clever leads to one's undoing. I know that many lawyers defend clients whether or not they are guilty; this book is most unusual in many aspects. I believe Haller truly struggles with his sense for justice and honor, too.

message 4: by Paty (new)

Paty Nady | 7 comments I really love Michael Connelly and Mick Haller's books are the BEST. I like them better even than Bosch's books. The ones they are together are even better.

I agree with Bicky that Haller is a very likeable man, and one with a very personal moral compass. Like Bosch, but in a complete different direction.

10/10 this book