Reading 1001 discussion

Archives > New 2018 edition

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 349 comments Seems there will be a new edition of the list this fall: http://arukiyomi.com/?p=6545

message 2: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Exciting!

message 3: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 349 comments Indeed! :-)

message 4: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 558 comments Woohoo!

message 5: by Diane (new)

Diane  | 2042 comments Sorry to be negative, but I'll be the naysayer here. I am not fully on board with some of the new books, especially since a couple are repeat authors with mediocre books. A new edition for only 8 books? Where is Harry Potter????? Why are there still so many Coetzee books? There's a lot of untapped foreign fiction out there, too.

I do appreciate that they are mostly female, though.

message 6: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 349 comments I agree, Diane - Harry Potter should definitely have been included!

message 7: by Hilde (last edited Aug 08, 2018 03:50PM) (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 349 comments I wonder though if this is all the changes or maybe just a small sample. Seems a bit strange that there are so few changes considering there's been many years since they last revised the list.

message 8: by Diane (new)

Diane  | 2042 comments Hilde wrote: "I wonder though if this is all the changes or maybe just a small sample. Seems a bit strange that there are so few changes considering there's been many years since they last revised the list."

I do hope its just a sample, although I'll never finish the list if they keep adding more.

Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments I am a naysayer for another reason... I hate that some of the classics (East of Eden!) are not on the list but certain modern authors are listed 6+ times. I feel as though this will just be more loss of classics.

message 10: by Jen (new)

Jen | 111 comments I find the additions and exclusions odd, but I don't want to be too negative because overall I enjoy the list (obviously?) - I just think it's too anglocentric and gender imbalanced, among other criticisms (why so many books from select authors?). The new addition is removing titles from the (limited) valuable international scope, and while many additions are female authored, so too are several titles they are removing. I would have rather seen them removing works from multiple listed male authors.

Also, H is for Hawk is a good book - but not a novel.

message 11: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Paul (jennifer78) | 2 comments Yes! As an example, 9 books by Graham Greene over the various editions . . .

And no Hilary Mantel or Penelope Lively.

But like you said, I mainly use the list to broaden my reading and it does that regardless of these minor changes. I will use it until I feel it doesn't do that for me any longer.

message 12: by Claire (new)

Claire  | 13 comments Jen wrote: "I find the additions and exclusions odd, but I don't want to be too negative because overall I enjoy the list (obviously?) - I just think it's too anglocentric and gender imbalanced, among other cr..."

Why would H is for Hawk not be a novel?

message 13: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 282 comments Forever a Stranger is perhaps one of the best books I’ll read this year and I never would have come across it without the list. Plus, it’s got a new translation and a Kindle copy, so it’s now not impossible to find. They could have just updated the new title. I’m guessing most of us are reading the complete list though, so this will still be read?

message 14: by Jen (new)

Jen | 111 comments Claire wrote: "Jen wrote: "I find the additions and exclusions odd, but I don't want to be too negative because overall I enjoy the list (obviously?) - I just think it's too anglocentric and gender imbalanced, am..."

It's a memoir, non-fiction. I understood the list was intended to be exclusively fiction (mostly novels, but some short stories too).

message 15: by Jen (new)

Jen | 111 comments Jennifer wrote: "But like you said, I mainly use the list to broaden my reading and it does that regardless of these minor changes. I will use it until I feel it doesn't do that for me any longer."

Well said, Jennifer - same for me.

message 16: by Liz M (last edited Aug 09, 2018 11:48AM) (new)

Liz M | 194 comments Jen wrote: "It's a memoir, non-fiction. I understood the list was intended to be exclusively fiction (mostly novels, but some short stories too)...."

In the introduction, I believe it discuss literture is included based on its influencing the development of the novel, so some non-fiction works that were innovative in form and/or blur the fiction/non-fiction line were included, such as:

In Cold Blood
Testament of Youth
Walden
Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China
The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test
Dispatches
Confessions

message 17: by Diane (new)

Diane  | 2042 comments Chinook wrote: "Forever a Stranger is perhaps one of the best books I’ll read this year and I never would have come across it without the list. Plus, it’s got a new translation and a Kindle copy, so it’s now not i..."

I agree. I read it this year, as well. It is disappointing that it would be removed instead of some of others that I feel are more worthy of removal.

message 18: by Jen (new)

Jen | 111 comments Liz M wrote: "Jen wrote: "It's a memoir, non-fiction. I understood the list was intended to be exclusively fiction (mostly novels, but some short stories too)...."

In the introduction, I believe it discuss lite..."

Ah, interesting Liz thanks for that explanation. So it's very interesting to me that just this narrow handful of non fiction are included. I'd love to know more about the rationale for their selection.

message 19: by Kristel (last edited Aug 10, 2018 10:54AM) (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 4107 comments Mod
I had given up hope. I can't believe they are removing Proust. Oops I guess it wasn't but of the books out, I am okay with them as most I have not read yet (read, The Blind Side of the Heart and There but for the). Unfortunately I may own a couple of those.

Books in: I've read the Goldfinch which I liked but Tartt already has a book on the list. The Circle (wow), I didn't read this when it was first circulating. Americanah. Haven't read yet but okay, she already has a book on the list. I own The Flamethrowers. I've read H is for Hawk. So they removed one Ali Smith and added Winter. You, who read, this series, was that a good move?

I think there was a lot of books out there that might have made better additions than the ones they chose. And they certainly could have removed books from authors that have a lot on the list unless each book is so unique in what it offered toward the development of the novel.

message 20: by Kristel (new)

And, we here at Reading 1001 just add the additional 10 books. And that is probably the complete list as since the big change when they went more global, it has only been about 10 each time. We will expand the list, and it will be the complete list so those removed will still be selections.

message 21: by Book (new)

Book Wormy | 1984 comments Mod
With regard to adding Winter personally if I had to choose from that series it would have been Autumn.

I would have liked to see more translated works included as they tend to be the real gems on the list.

Completely agree East of Eden should be on the list it is on of my favourite books of all time.

Is Harry Potter on the children's version of the list? Just curious to know. And which book would you choose seen as the majority of us appear to be against the inclusion of multiple works by the same author.

message 22: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Barringer (Ravenmount) (ravenmount) | 473 comments The ones they chose to remove were odd choices to me. Some of the older books and less available non-English books would have been more reasonable cuts, I would have thought, and some authors are really over-represented on the list, modern and classic authors. I have to wonder how much the people making the list actually read, and how much publishers' financing influences book selections. But Americanah was good, and I'm sure the others will be too, and it is not as if I'll skip the 'removed' books just because a few more have been added to the combined list.

message 23: by Diane (new)

Diane  | 2042 comments Book wrote: "With regard to adding Winter personally if I had to choose from that series it would have been Autumn.

I would have liked to see more translated works included as they tend to be the real gems on ..."

Definitely need more translated works.

As for Harry Potter, I would include the whole series as one book (as done with LOTR, Proust, etc.)

message 24: by Pip (new)

Pip | 1409 comments I am thrilled that Elena Ferrante has made it onto the list.

message 25: by Diane (new)

Diane  | 2042 comments Pip wrote: "I am thrilled that Elena Ferrante has made it onto the list."

She was already on the list, but with one of her less well-known and more mediocre books, Troubling Love.

message 26: by Amie (new)

Amie (amie-b) | 79 comments Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, and Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire are on the 1001 list for kids that I have.

message 27: by Gail (new)

Gail (gailifer) | 1380 comments I agree about the addition of Elena Ferrante's The Story of the Lost Child and I also prefer Autumn. I have not read Eggers Circle and strangely, because I generally appreciate Eggers, it didn't seem like a book of his I wanted to read.
I am one of the few that really did not like The Goldfinch but there you go, each to his own. All in all, it does seem like a strangely small update without a consistent vision about what exactly was being updated and why, but I am not all that knowledgable about the list so it could be my ignorance speaking here.

message 28: by Kristel (new)

There has been 4 editions,
The first edition: 2006
The Second edition: 2008 this was a huge change, with an attempt to make the list more global.
The Third edition, 2010
The Fourth edition. 2012
With the third and fourth edition. It was only small amount of change. 10 books
This stretch was a 6 year stretch. So from 2012 to 2018. This was the 10 books (or maybe there will be more) that they chose to pick. Are the best books representing those 6 years? It just seems to me that there were so many great books. Why these?

message 29: by Tracy (last edited Aug 13, 2018 06:58AM) (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 558 comments Was it ten new books? Because they seem to swap out older books, too. For example: Eugene Onegin and Tomcat Murr weren’t on the original list. I’m not sure which edition(s) added these, but they’re not new books.
There are 1305 total books that have been on the list, so since the original, about 100 books would get swapped out per edition.

So we just got a life extension!

Hopefully there will be a mix of old and new, with some dinosaur-aged and -sized books being replaced by books that have an even more global feel. I’m really hoping that there will be more older books written by voices normally less heard.

message 30: by Kristel (new)

Anyone with the app? It has been updated with the 10 new books. I've added them to my line up as of the most recent voting choices.
This time they only added newer books but I didn't pay that much attention to which they removed. I think it was all over the place as far as years.

message 31: by Gail (new)

Gail (gailifer) | 1380 comments Here is the link to the books taken out and added - http://arukiyomi.com/?p=6545

As has been mentioned... it seems very odd to even do a new edition for 10 books and they took out more books in translation than they put in....

message 32: by Kristel (new)

It’s all about marketing

message 33: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 282 comments Oh, yay. I’ve been waiting for the app to update.

message 34: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Honestly, yep I’d have included Harry Potter as a set, just like LOTR by now. Not only is it very influential to this time period, but it’s really well written as the series progresses.

Besides that...I can’t believe they haven’t added any Octavia Butler by now, Kindred definitely deserves to be on this list. And I’d add the Earthseed set as well.

And really NK Jemisin has won awards for every volume of her trilogy, if you want to add some newer authors I would have definitely added the whole broken Earth Trilogy!

I know they want to represent women, and women of color, but I wish they’d broaden their scope and not just every volume by Toni Morrison...there are other great people of color writing in the world.

Ok..I’m done, sorry for the rant there.

message 35: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Book wrote: "With regard to adding Winter personally if I had to choose from that series it would have been Autumn.

I would have liked to see more translated works included as they tend to be the real gems on ..."

And I completely agree with you here. Some of those works in translation are my favorite parts of the list. They are indeed hidden gems I never would have come across, by authors I had never heard of, that I really enjoyed and have gone on to add more by some of those authors to my personal to read list.

message 36: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 1245 comments Mod
So I haven't seen the book for sale yet, at least not online. Arukiyomi website says October but I can't find it. Anyone have any information?

message 37: by Dree (new)

Dree | 243 comments So, I have a theory about why why we FINALLY got a new edition, but with just 10 changes. I think it is meant to be to meet this new book for sales over the holidays: 1,000 Books to Read Before You Die: A Life-Changing List.

I bought the 1,000 books book, not the 1001 new edition. I have a lot of thoughts, but haven't gotten through the book yet. Is anyone else crazy enough to buy it? I know I won't be finishing any of these lists, so I have no worry about ruining my chances by having another list.

message 38: by Kristel (new)

Diane wrote: "So I haven't seen the book for sale yet, at least not online. Arukiyomi website says October but I can't find it. Anyone have any information?" I can't find it either, is it only available in England?

message 39: by Dree (new)

Dree | 243 comments I haven't looked for the physical book, I updated the app. I have a bunch of notes in my copy and have no interest in copying them over. I also have the spreadsheet and am going to update it myself (but haven't done it yet).

message 40: by Liz M (new)

Liz M | 194 comments Looks like it is only UK. Amazon has it listed, but as "an international product"

https://www.amazon.com/1001-Books-Mus...

message 41: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 1245 comments Mod
Liz M wrote: "Looks like it is only UK. Amazon has it listed, but as "an international product"

https://www.amazon.com/1001-Books-Mus..."

Thank you Liz.

message 42: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 282 comments I’m sure there’s an intended publication date for outside the UK then? Eventually?

message 43: by Kristel (new)

Chinook wrote: "I’m sure there’s an intended publication date for outside the UK then? Eventually?"

The last edition was not released in the US either.

message 44: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 282 comments Oh, interesting. I guess it sells considerably better in the UK? I wonder why?

message 45: by Kristel (last edited Nov 15, 2018 12:34PM) (new)

Chinook wrote: "Oh, interesting. I guess it sells considerably better in the UK? I wonder why?"
The book editor is from the UK and the publisher as well. I suppose that might be why it sells there a bit better. I had thought that every other year they were publishing in US but that seems to not be the case if they are going two editions in a row without publishing in the US.

message 46: by Sushicat (new)

Sushicat | 292 comments Another interesting fact: in German the 7th edition was published last year...

message 47: by Kristel (new)

Sushicat wrote: "Another interesting fact: in German the 7th edition was published last year..." Are the German and Swedish editions by the same publisher/editor or by someone else? I understand that the different country editions are not exactly the same.

message 48: by Sushicat (new)

Sushicat | 292 comments I don’t know about any Swedish editions. The German one is edited by Peter Boxall.

message 49: by Sushicat (new)

Sushicat | 292 comments I’m really curious about the book selection, but not enough to acquire that brick...

message 50: by Sushicat (new)

Sushicat | 292 comments But my library has it!

« previous 1