What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Horses in World War I

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pam (new)

Pam Read (pamelaread) | 8 comments I read this in the 1960s in a small library in Westchester County, NY, and believe it was an old book then. I think it was even a children's book, though the subject - a caisson pony in World War I, was riveting, and harrowing. I am a reference librarian and researcher, and have exhausted all sources I can find: I even corresponded with the author of War Horse because the subject matter was somewhat similar. I would love to find this book

message 2: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5096 comments I hope we can help! Was it fiction or nonfiction?

message 4: by Pam (new)

Pam Read (pamelaread) | 8 comments Wow!!! I am so impressed! It could be Shaggy: are there scenes of the horse in battle?? I am looking for a copy now - can find a brief Kirkus review...Thank you so much! I believe it was fiction.

message 5: by Rosa (last edited Aug 08, 2018 10:48AM) (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5096 comments Gee, I hope one of them is your book. I added a cover image for Shaggy. Another cover and an illustration can be seen here.

message 6: by Pam (new)

Pam Read (pamelaread) | 8 comments I also think it could be War Horse by Fairfax Downey (one of the links that I picked up searching Shaggy included this book....

message 7: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5096 comments But in your first post, you said it wasn't War Horse? Or was that a different book?

message 8: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 59 comments I think Pam meant it wasn’t Michael Morpurgos War Horse

message 9: by Pam (new)

Pam Read (pamelaread) | 8 comments Exactly - and although I've seen War Horse by Downey mentioned before I did not look at it because it is usually often incorrectly associated with WWII. In Worldcat it has WWI as a subject heading: the description otherwise is spot on.

message 10: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38155 comments Mod
Bump.

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38155 comments Mod
Bumping again since Pam posted yesterday.