What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Greyfax Grimwald (Circle of Light, #1)
This topic is about Greyfax Grimwald
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Fantasy Novel/s with 3 Animal Friends Fighting In Various Armies. [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matthew (new)

Matthew | 3 comments Hi all, I read this book in 1985-1987 which I would love to track down. I think it was the first in a series, and it concerned three animal friends who lived in a fantasy land where some kind of war had broken out among various species. It was not for young children, but may have been young adult rather than full adult fantasy - and could well have been published by a US author? My hunch is that it could have been from the late 60s or any time in the 70s - maybe early 80s at a push.

My vaguer memory is that the three friends were of varying sizes: small (I think a rat or a mouse), medium (possibly a fox/cat?) and large (I want to say a bear?) - they began the book together but got split up and ended up fighting in different armies. I don't think the book ended on a resolution, which makes me think it was the first in a series.

Thanks! Matthew :-)

message 2: by L J (new)

L J Take a look at Neal Barrett Jr. Aldair in Albion. It came out in 1976.
Don't be put off by the humans on the cover. We all agreed Neal won worst cover of the year, possibly decade, for there being humans on the cover of a books with no humans.
There were several from that general time period with few or no humans. There's one in particular I'm trying to remember but so far only the cover art is coming to mind.

message 3: by Matthew (new)

Matthew | 3 comments Thanks! Looking at the reviews and synopses I don't think that's it, but the suggestion is appreciated. Matthew.

message 4: by Adele (new) - added it

Adele | 1200 comments Neil Hancock wrote a bunch of books about a bear, an otter, and a dwarf. Here is the first book in one of the inter-related series: Greyfax Grimwald Greyfax Grimwald (Circle of Light, #1) by Niel Hancock

message 5: by Matthew (new)

Matthew | 3 comments Adele, that definitely rings bells! I'm certain I read Greyfax Grimwald around that age, so maybe I'm just misremembering the animals! (it was a loooong time ago now!)

I think I'm going to track down a copy of GG and check, but I reckon that is probably it! Thanks so much (and thanks L J too), much obliged.

Matthew :-)

message 6: by Adele (new) - added it

Adele | 1200 comments Happy to help. :-)