Book Loving Kiwis discussion

BOTM Nominations > September 2018 book of the month nominations

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erica (new)

Erica | 922 comments Mod
With August here I thought we should get some nominations going for a September group read. Thanks to all those people who joined in with the July Group read of Purgatory. It's great to be able to support our local kiwi authors :)

Comment below with a book you'd like to nominate. A few rules below:

- Should be set in NZ or written by a Kiwi author
- If you are a NZ author you can only nominate your book if it is fairly easy to get hold of (available in print and e-book). You must have also commented at least 30 times on the group's page.

Nominations will close Sunday 19 August 2018. I'll then put up a poll - most votes win (one vote per person).

So let the nominations start rolling in... :)

message 2: by Erica (last edited Aug 08, 2018 12:22AM) (new)

Erica | 922 comments Mod
I'm gonna get the ball rolling with a nomination for the latest novel by C.K. Stead called The Necessary Angel. I recently scored a copy at a big local secondhand booksale and couldn't believe my luck. Can't wait to read it.

The Necessary Angel by C.K. Stead

message 3: by Joanne (new)

Joanne Dillon (jaydee-nz) I’m going to suggest This Mortal Boy, the latest novel by Dame Fiona Kidman. I was lucky enough to meet her a few weeks ago when she did a book talk at the library I work at on the day it was released. It’s based on a true story and I now have a signed copy that I am looking forward to getting into.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...

message 4: by Erica (new)

Erica | 922 comments Mod
Ooh that's another book I've had my eye on...only heard great things about This Mortal Boy so far :)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 979 comments I'll nominate The Denniston Rose by Jenny Patrick

message 6: by Angie (last edited Aug 08, 2018 03:28AM) (new)

Angie | 137 comments Are there any rules around series? I have the New Zealand Wars trilogy by Maurice Shadbolt ready to go on my bedside table. Could I nominate the first book? Season Of The Jew

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 979 comments Angie wrote: "Are there any rules around series? I have the New Zealand Wars trilogy by Maurice Shadbolt ready to go on my bedside table. Could I nominate the first book?Season Of The Jew"

That is a wonderful book! Read it many years ago but it made a big impression on me.

message 8: by Bronwyn (new)

Bronwyn (bronwynelsmore) | 69 comments It's so good to see NZ books being recognised here!
Can I add that September is NZ theatre month when many theatres are featuring NZ stage plays. So, read a NZ book and see a NZ play -awesome!!

message 9: by Erica (new)

Erica | 922 comments Mod
Hi Angie - definitely think the first book in a series is acceptable :)

message 10: by Hope (last edited Aug 08, 2018 01:50PM) (new)

Hope (hopewnz) | 2 comments I'd like to recommend my brother's book (one of the many stories my dad would tell us when growing up). It's a Sci-Fi, following a kiwi from the south island. Timewalker

https://www.amazon.com/TIMEWALKER-Pla...

TIMEWALKER

message 11: by Erica (new)

Erica | 922 comments Mod
Thanks Hope - great to have a mix of genres to choose from :)

message 12: by Carlene (new)

Carlene (zellian) | 330 comments Thunder Road by Ted Dawe by Ted Dawe
It's probably a bit of a young read, I read this a long while ago and managed to find a copy sitting somewhere for myself after that - think I have since passed it on too. :)

message 13: by Erica (new)

Erica | 922 comments Mod
I remember the controversy around this when it came out - would be good to know what all the fuss is about :)

message 14: by LadyDisdain (new)

LadyDisdain | 10 comments I would like to nominate The Imaginary Lives Of James Poneke by Tina Makereti :)

message 15: by K.M. (new)

K.M. (kimwrites) | 45 comments Nominating Into The World by Stephanie Parkyn.
Into the World by Stephanie Parkyn

message 16: by Carlene (new)

Carlene (zellian) | 330 comments Erica wrote: "I remember the controversy around this when it came out - would be good to know what all the fuss is about :)"

Really? I didn't know that!

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 979 comments Carlene wrote: "Erica wrote: "I remember the controversy around this when it came out - would be good to know what all the fuss is about :)"

Really? I didn't know that!"

Into the River by the same author had a lot of controversy & was effectively banned at one stage.

message 18: by Carlene (new)

Carlene (zellian) | 330 comments Carol ꧁꧂ wrote: "Carlene wrote: "Erica wrote: "I remember the controversy around this when it came out - would be good to know what all the fuss is about :)"

Really? I didn't know that!"

[book:Into the River|1783..."

i just read it! I never knew there was even other books, I'll have to add that to my read to lol

message 19: by Erica (new)

Erica | 922 comments Mod
Oh wait I was thinking of Into the River haha

message 20: by K.M. (new)

K.M. (kimwrites) | 45 comments Carol ꧁꧂ wrote: "I'll nominate The Denniston Rose by Jenny Patrick"

Such a great book!

message 21: by Erica (new)

Erica | 922 comments Mod
Nominations closing this Sunday so if anyone has any other suggestions they'd like to add please do :)

message 22: by Erica (new)

Erica | 922 comments Mod
Sweet I'm closing off the nominations now and will put up a poll very soon :)

Thanks again for the nominations everyone.

message 23: by Rita (new)

Rita Kunselman | 216 comments I wanted to start reading New Zealand Authors but, something has come up every month. I am not nominating a book but, will participate in September.

message 24: by Erica (new)

Erica | 922 comments Mod
Rita wrote: "I wanted to start reading New Zealand Authors but, something has come up every month. I am not nominating a book but, will participate in September."

Great that you'll be joining in this month - totally understand that life can get in the way sometimes :)