SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

TV and Movie Chat > Was the “Blindness” Book-Movie Any Good?

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emmie (new)

Emmie (bellereve) | 2 comments I’m finally reading “Blindness” by José Saramago. My mom was crazy about it when I was a teenager, and I remember she was excited about the movie version coming out. I’m absolutely loving the book and I was wondering if anyone’s seen the movie? Was it a good book-movie or did they totally blow it?

message 2: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 2610 comments Personally- I hated it. But that’s how I tend to feel about prize winning, allegorical, literary masterpieces.

Not plot related (content warnings) but I’ll put it behind a spoiler tag just in case: (view spoiler)

Character motivations and actions made no sense. The writing is insanely difficult to follow because the author doesn’t feel the need to use quotation marks or periods to separate out conversations. For all it’s promise of action nothing ever seems to happen, and the resolution of everything is just really poorly done.

I haven’t seen the movie- and wouldn’t because I disliked the book so much. But don’t let me deter you.

Do you and your mom have similar tastes? What did she like about it?

I do think it’s a book you either love or you hate. The best way to find out is to give it a try! If the first chapter doesn’t grab you- the rest of the book probably won’t.

message 3: by Jess (new)

Jess Penhallow | 35 comments I loved the plot of this book and would probably enjoy the film. My problem with it was the writing style.

As Sarah said, the author uses very minimal punctuation and sentences run on for about half a page. He also does not separate the text into paragraphs or sections so if you lose your place it's very difficult to find again. I completely understand why he did this, to evoke a sense of blindness and confusion, but it made the book really difficult to follow.

I switched to audiobook format and enjoyed it much more.

message 4: by Victoria (last edited Aug 08, 2018 03:32AM) (new)

Victoria Lestingi (vlestin) | 41 comments I think the movie was ok, I saw it only years after reading the book. I found certain details of the book translated too visceral into the screen. Maybe is the intention, but while the charm of the book was not in the gruesome of the details, I found the movie's intention was to exploit this part. I found it very difficult to watch, which I didn't feel the book was difficult to read.