Duodecathon discussion

Duodecathon 2018 > August (8-14)

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Savannah (new)

Savannah | 48 comments Duodecathon starts tomorrow! It runs from the 8th to the 14th.

What book/challenge are you going to complete?

I'm planning on reading 1984 by George Orwell for the challenge 'banned book'; this book has been banned, burned, and challenged a number of times. I found this site that list when it was banned/challenged.

http://www.bannedlibrary.com/podcast/... apparently just last year it was/is being challenged in Idaho.

message 2: by Lynn (new)

Lynn I just started getting into read-a-thons and now I'm hooked. Anyway, I just joined this one. The challenge options are all intriguing but ultimately I am going with reading the 2nd book in a series. Because that's what's next on my TBR reading list lol

I will read: Donuts, Antiques and Murder. When I finish that I'll catch up on other reads && try to hit the 1,200 page goal!

message 3: by Krithikaa (new)

Krithikaa (hpfan2002) | 1 comments Hi, This is my first time doing the duodecathon. I will be doing the A "high school" book you haven't read challenge. I am planning to read The Canterville Ghost

message 4: by Sawn (new)

Sawn | 5 comments I’m planning on reading “illuminae” as the book recommended by someone here

And maybe the high school book i haven’tread: The wizard of oz. (because it’s a classic and i haven’t read it yet, also we didn’t have to read any books in high school)

It’s a little bit cheating i suppose? Lol

message 5: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra (caseymerritt) Hi! This is my first time participating in this readathon and I plan on reading 1,200 pages. I may even go past that but we’ll have to wait and see.

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 3 comments Hi, this is my kind-of second time participating in DuoDecathon (and probably my last because I go back to school in a few weeks). I'm going to try to complete as many challenges as possible while I still have free time to read.

Banned book — 1984 (also my summer reading)
Multiple POV — Vassa in the Night
Great first line — Exit West
High school — Confessions of a Teenage Leper

And that will total over 1200 pages, that's another challenge.
These were all books that I'm going to read anyway so I think I'll be able to do it, wish me luck!

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy Wilson | 1 comments This is my first time participating :)

I'm hoping to knock a couple challenges out since I'm new and so far behind.
I'm reading The Shining by Stephen King (Villain/Antihero) and The Passage by Justin Cronin (Multiple POVs) and the two together will be over 1200 pages.

message 8: by Sera (new)

Sera Indelicato | 1 comments I just have a question. I started six of crows the day BEFORE the readathon began not knowing about them (readathons). I was curious if I’d still be able to use the book for the challenges!! If not I totally get it!

message 9: by Emily (new)

Emily I'm trying to knock out a few challenges since I came into the game late. I've got The Great Gatsby for a high school I never read, Welcome to Night Vale for a book with a great first line, and I'm trying to tackle 1,200 pages.

message 10: by Savannah (new)

Savannah | 48 comments Sera, is say as long as your no more than half way through a book before the read a thon you can use it. (:

message 11: by Savannah (new)

Savannah | 48 comments This may be the first time this year I’m missing a challenge month...I just really haven’t been in the mood to read lately.

message 12: by Sawn (new)

Sawn | 5 comments Savannah, i totally get what you’re saying.. because i feel the same, i’m not even halfway though the first book i chose this week

message 13: by Sawn (new)

Sawn | 5 comments I was going to read “the wizard of oz” as high school book, but i changed my mind and i read “one piece volume 2” as the second book in a series
And i’m half way through “illuminae “ hopefully i’ll finish it tomorrow before midnight 🚶🏽‍♀️

message 14: by Savannah (new)

Savannah | 48 comments I've also changed my book...I'm going to read No Dawn Without Darkness by Dayna Lorentz. It's only 232 pages so I should be able to read it today and tomorrow. It's going to be for antonyms in the title; Dawn/Darkness.

message 15: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 3 comments My DuoDecathon August 2018 Wrap-Up

Challenge #1: Great first line √
Challenge #2: Read 1200 pages √
Didn't complete the other two I meant to do

Escape from Aleppo (56) (★★★★★)
Vassa in the Night (60) (didn’t finish)
1984 (82) (didn’t finish)
It (361) (didn’t finish)
Buried Beneath the Baobab Tree (336) (★★★★★)
Exit West (140) (★★★★★)
Confessions of a Teenage Leper (305) (★★★)
The Stonekeeper (192) (★★★★)
The Stonekeeper's Curse (224) (★★★★)
The Cloud Searchers (208) (★★★)

Didn’t complete all the challenges I meant to, but I still did two! I’m pretty happy with what I read. Plus I found a new favorite book: Buried Beneath the Baobab Tree <3

message 16: by Savannah (new)

Savannah | 48 comments I totally forgot to update yesterday, but I did complete the Antonyms in title challenge with the book No Dawn Without Darkness

message 17: by Jen (new)

Jen (reader44ever) | 17 comments Looks like I totally forgot to tell you all which challenge I completed for August.

During Duodecathon in August, I read Vicious by V.E. Schwab for the "A book about a villain/antihero" task. :-)

Vicious (Villains, #1) by V.E. Schwab
I read this book August 10-11. :-)