AMERICAN HISTORICAL NOVELS discussion

A Girl's Best Friend

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kari (new)

Kari (karibovee) | 98 comments Mod
In Girl with a Gun, Annie Oakley has a very special bond with her horse Buck. Their relationship was modeled after my relationship with one of my horses, Hi Handsome CCR, pictured below.

description

Annie and Buck have endured many hardships together, and their experiences have created a bond between them that is impenetrable. Annie has vowed to herself she will always protect Buck and do what is best for him. In turn, when the chips are down, Annie finds solace and comfort through spending time with her beloved horse.

My horse Handsome has taught me so many things about being a compassionate human being and a worthy leader for him. Earning his respect and trust has been such a pleasure and a privilege. I can tell by how he behaves around me he knows I have his best interest at heart. When I am working around the barn, he watches my every move, and when I am playing with him, he always nuzzles me or shows some other kind of affection inherent to horses. He treats me like one of his herd, and that is the best compliment a horse can give.

Do you have a special connection with one of your furry friends? I'd love to hear about it. Comment below to be eligible to win one of three giveaway copies of Girl with a Gun!

message 2: by Martha (new)

Martha Conway | 255 comments Mod
When I broke my leg and was laid up for 3 months (yes, 3 months!) my dog Nico saved my sanity. She is a sweet golden doodle and gets lots of affection. She's kind of a princess now, she's so spoiled! But still a kind soul.

I love the two pictures you posted. A Girl With a Horse!

message 3: by Stella (new)

Stella McKissack (stellamckissack) | 38 comments I had an English sheepdog when I was about 3, we did everything together. I have had a love for dogs ever since.

message 4: by Kari (new)

Martha wrote: "When I broke my leg and was laid up for 3 months (yes, 3 months!) my dog Nico saved my sanity. She is a sweet golden doodle and gets lots of affection. She's kind of a princess now, she's so spoile..."

I heard on television today that people who have animals, particularly dogs and cats, have healthier immune systems and a healthier gut. They are like a walking probiotic!

message 5: by Kari (new)

Stella wrote: "I had an English sheepdog when I was about 3, we did everything together. I have had a love for dogs ever since."

Sheepdogs are sooooo stinkin' cute!

message 6: by Barbara (new)

Barbara Artson (barbara_artson) | 21 comments And my dog, Rover (yes, that was his name), came into my life when I was 3, and left at 16...I was devastated. He was my best buddy; I told him everything. And he could keep secrets.

message 7: by Martha (new)

Martha Conway | 255 comments Mod
Kari wrote: "people who have animals, particularly dogs and cats, have healthier immune systems and a healthier gut ..."

That's fascinating!

message 8: by Dyana (new)

Dyana | 189 comments I have a connection with my 13 year old black, male cat. My husband rescued him at his work place. Tiny, skinny cat with a pink collar. He must have been pulled away from his Mother too soon. He would suckle on my shirt. It was weird at first. So he would cuddle up at night with me. He finally grew out of that. He is very smart. I could teach him a few words and he could fetch. Love him! Black cats are great!!!

message 9: by Kari (new)

I love kitties. They are independent, but loving, too. I've always had a cat or cats for as long as I can remember. They are great companions!

message 10: by Angela (new)

Angela Sanford | 82 comments I have a tuxedo cat named Sylvester. I have stage Four Lung Cancer and I go for Chemotherapy treatments 2 times per week. I have some bad side effects and I am usually sick for a couple of days after my treatment, so Sylvester will lay by my side and watches after me. If I move, he will look to see what I am doing. He is such a comfort to me. Some days I get emotional and when he sees me crying, he will rare up on his hind legs and touch my shoulder with his paw, as if he is comforting me. I am sorry for writing such a long post.