Book Cover Reviews discussion

Cover Reviews > The Earthen Pioneer! Again!

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by N.R.B. (new)

N.R.B. Marcum | 4 comments Hello! It is me again! I tweaked the cover but I can't tell if its more ugly or less ugly...I'm still using the same base image because no one seemed to have a lot of problems with it, but tweaks have been made.

I also decided, after some research and much debate, this book and the additional series is indeed sci-fi, a space opera to be exact. So I kept the feel of the title and added some details I hope will begin to portray that, but I dunno.

https://www.deviantart.com/greatwolf1...

Things I'm worried about:

Still too self-pubbed?

Not enough of a sci-fi feel.

General ugliness.

I'm also still grappling with the two-part problem of the book. I don't expect suggestions on this problem, as this is a cover review group, not a series structure group. But if you would like to help it would be much appreciated. The problem simply is; this book had to be cut into two-parts, but I wanted to keep both parts of the book under the same title due to the fact that the rest of the series doesn't follow this books protagonists, but others within the world. However I can't figure out how to televise the two-part thing in a not confusing, simple way.

Thank you all for your time and input!

message 2: by Lane (new)

Lane | 3 comments Hi, There.
I think you've got a great font set - it's nice and readable, even with white over light green. The font set is also a nice, science-fictiony font.

The composition itself isn't bad at all.

However...

I'm not sure if your size ratio is right - it looks a bit wide for a standard cover size.

Also, I'm not seeing a lot of green in the genre, especially a 'warm' green like this, or a illustration-style cover.

All in all, it makes it feel more like a literary novel, which is not what you want.

If you're on a shoestring, and want to keep as much of this as possible, you're going to need to shift the shade of green to a cooler, almost teal color. You might also want to either replace the horse silhouette with something more scifi-ish, like a floating scooter, or add in something similar to help advertize the genre.

message 3: by OldBird (new)

OldBird | 13 comments Can I just say that while it's not there yet, your chosen art style would really stand out from the crowd. I'd certainly be intrigued.

General thoughts: Everything feels just a that tiny bit too small. Title should probably be bigger for those all important thumbnail views, and author name should be bolder if not also bigger. Maybe even zoom in on and re-crop the visuals - that horse is going to be part of a very small thumbnail image too. Massive text might not be your thing, but if it came to it you could even clip the text behind the mountain shape.

I would agree that while I love the visual style, it's perhaps not obviously sci-fi with it's current subject matter. Some sci-fi has gone down the illustration route so personally I don't think it has to be a problem, but it can be about getting that sci-fi feeling across with the imagery. Here's an example of one that stuck in my head after seeing it:
Absence of Blade (The Expansion Series, #1) by Caitlin Demaris McKenna
and of course there are the Dune simplified(/hipsterified!) covers
Dune (Dune, #1) by Frank Herbert

Lane's suggestion of colour shift could help, as that more artificial blue-green tone does go with the sci-fi/unnatural feeling. If you're set on using the horse you could add something subtle like an extra moon (or circle within the current moon to imply one), or space craft silhouette if that sort of thing fits your story. At the moment the horse, trees and mountains look very real-life based, so there does need to be something a bit more sci-fi in there. Is there anything besides the running horse that could be symbolic from your story?

Just some random thoughts on the series. Could you have two covers that when seen side by side were a continuaton of the landscape? Something with a subject that split across the two? (I know front end/back end of a horse doesn't sound quite right...) Or perhaps some kind of colour/subject change that suggests the same place at a different time?

message 4: by Harald, The Swimmer (new)

Harald | 378 comments Mod
N.Marcum wrote: ... "I'm also still grappling with the two-part problem of the book. I don't expect suggestions on this problem, as this is a cover review group, not a series structure group. But if you would like to help it would be much appreciated. The problem simply is; this book had to be cut into two-parts, but I wanted to keep both parts of the book under the same title due to the fact that the rest of the series doesn't follow this books protagonists, but others within the world. However I can't figure out how to televise the two-part thing in a not confusing, simple way."

Just adding to the good comments of Emma and Lane on this two-part issue...

Simply put "PART 1" and "PART 2" at top, and visible. How about a top bleeding banner like you have at bottom for your name (but not as tall)? Or inside a geometric design element (circle, square, corner triangle)?
And make sure it's clear in your book listings, like with a subtitle:
The Earthen Pioneer (Mooi Series, Part 1)
The Earthen Pioneer (Mooi Series, Part 2)

Hope that helps.