Our Shared Shelf discussion

Intersectional Feminism > Sexual Harassment

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Agnes Szalkowska | 386 comments So we got some changes. I hope after France example goes more countries.

France passes new law on Child rape , sexual harassment.

Lawmakers have passed a law that can impose fines for street harassment and make it easier for sex with a child under 15 to be classified as rape.
Goes into effect in September.
Under current legislation, sex with a child under 15 years of age is considered an offense, but prosecutors need to prove it was forced in order to classify it as rape.
Under the new law, judges would be able to classify intercourse with a minor as rape if the sex resulted from an "abuse of vulnerability." Specifically, sex between adults and children under 15 would be considered rape if it were to be found that the adult abused the child's lack of understanding to engage in the act.
The bill also extends the statute of limitations for sex crimes, allowing prosecution for 30 years instead of 20 after a purported victim turns 18 years old.
The new law also allows for fines of 90-750 euros ($105-$876) for gender-based harassment on streets and public transportation. It bans sexual or sexist comments and behaviour that is degrading, humiliating, intimidating hostile or offensive.
The bill also steps up sanctions for cyberstalking and outlaws taking pictures or videos under someone's clothes without consent. The practice, known as "upskirting," will be punishable by up to one year in prison and a fine of 15,000 euros ($ 17,533.)

What you think about that. For me is still not enough but is good start.

message 2: by Gerd (new)

Gerd | 428 comments Agnes Szalkowska wrote: " sex between adults and children under 15 would be considered rape if it were to be found that the adult abused the child's lack of understanding to engage in the act."

In other words, they still consider sex with a minor legal. :/

message 3: by Marika (new)

Marika Da Prato | 1 comments This is absolutely a good start! but we still have to work on it, starting from our daily lives. Even the smallest gestures can make the difference and end up in a real change.

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 09, 2018 04:17PM) (new)

This is a good point, evidence are needed and I suppose that often the harassment is about behaviour or words so unless other people witness it or somehow record it, it is super difficult to prove it... so yes laws are good starting point but not sufficient.

In addition, what means degrading or humiliating for someone may be perceived differently by someone else. For example, someone in your workplace keeps being late or arrives with a hangover, the manager confronts the person and tells him/her to stop doing that, maybe the collaborator is feeling intimidated or humiliated being the victim of the manager words/attitude while the manager is actually fair but direct, or maybe the collaborator is indeed being humiliated even if he/she made a mistake. This is extremely subjective and is about perception, I would not like to be judge of this type of situation.
What I am trying to say is there are to much interpretations in those words :s

message 5: by Devyn (new)

Devyn | 8 comments Thank you for sharing this! I think there is still more to clarify in legal writing, and then another matter of enforcing these laws, but this is a good starting point for France and other countries to progress toward a safer future.

message 6: by Pam (new)

Pam | 1086 comments Mod
Emma wrote: "Do any of you all think it is possible to have a law fully clarify what it is that is sexual assault? Because it seems to sometimes have gray areas."

No, look at Rape as an example. You got your standard rape, then rape rape, and aggressive rape, and rape-y, and etc. I'm making light of this situation of course. But it's a good point, even if you define it people will interpret it in a different manner that lessens or amplifies it's meaning.

Sexual assault is a lesser offending action, IMPO, than rape. And much more nebulous and broad itself. A case may set a precedence on what it means, but then another may muddy the water on what exactly is at play.

As most of the western world (I think?) works off of the concept that we are Innocent before Proven Guilty... is this wrong?

message 7: by James (new)

James Corprew The edit button is your friend.