Coffee & Books discussion

Discussion Archives > August 2018: Circe

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Rachel Jorquera  (racheljorquera) | 2992 comments Mod
Circe discussion!

Discussion Questions - (view spoiler)

message 2: by Colleen (new)

Colleen  | 143 comments Just finished this book as part of Rachel and my Buddy Reads for August. So well done and thoughtful. I really enjoyed brushing up on Greek mythology. And hearing the author's take on the personalization to her story. It was so fun.

The ending leaves me guessing - but I'm thinking Circe got her wish. And really, there was nothing else for her. She had already done it all.

I do know the ancient Greeks didn't treat women very well. Glad I wasn't born in that time. Women are definitely not fragile as this book points out. Many strong female characters here. Motherhood depicted honestly as well.

Overall I recommend this read. The audio was good as well.

message 3: by Rachel Jorquera , Moderator (new)

Rachel Jorquera  (racheljorquera) | 2992 comments Mod
Colleen wrote: "Just finished this book as part of Rachel and my Buddy Reads for August. So well done and thoughtful. I really enjoyed brushing up on Greek mythology. And hearing the author's take on the personali..."

I definitely agree. I loved Miller's take on an empowered woman in this time it was really great to see how she retold some classical parts and reimagined them into what she wanted. I am not SUPER well rounded in greek mythology, BUT from what I do know I liked how she made it contemporary and brought the female narration to the forefront. Even with the side female characters too - she made them strong & I liked !

message 4: by Colleen (new)

Colleen  | 143 comments Rachel Skye wrote: "Colleen wrote: "Just finished this book as part of Rachel and my Buddy Reads for August. So well done and thoughtful. I really enjoyed brushing up on Greek mythology. And hearing the author's take ..."

I totally agree with what you are saying here. Couldn't have put it better myself!