Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [Retired Buddy Reads] > Fever Series #1-5 [November 19, 2018]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 328 (328 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

message 1: by Margret, Caladan Brood Face (new)

Margret | 3170 comments Mod
November 19th

message 2: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) | 1612 comments Spot!

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Do I want to reread the series again? Hell yeah I do. I'm in. This series restarted my reading obsession.

message 4: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) | 1612 comments Yay Diana.

I'm so excited about this. I keep hearing such wonderful things.

message 5: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14948 comments If I join this, you guys might make me continue past Shadowfever... I read this series before I got into PNR, really, I think... this series was pretty intense, and I loved how it was all one connected story... and I started it late enough that I didn't really need to wait to finish the story, which was a plus...

message 6: by Angela Jr. (new)

Angela Jr. | 992 comments @diana: It's one of my favourites too :)

@iain: I've read it multiple times, but only ever up to shadowfever 🙈 not entirely sure if i want to continue on myself

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Karishma wrote: "Yay Diana.

I'm so excited about this. I keep hearing such wonderful things."

One of my absolute favorite series (only books 1-5). I got so many people hooked on it. When I first read it I went for weeks just pimping it out to people. I hope you're not disappointed :-)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Iain wrote: "If I join this, you guys might make me continue past Shadowfever... I read this series before I got into PNR, really, I think... this series was pretty intense, and I loved how it was all one conne..."

I'm not reading past ShadowFever. Book 6 on is just... indescribably bad. This series is the quintessential example of quit while you're ahead.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments And I too read it after the books were out. I finished all 5 in 1 week, and that's back when it took me a month to finish a book. They were my first book all nighters :-)

message 10: by Em Lost In Books (new)

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) | 2318 comments oookay... I am in. :) one of my very first UF and i loved it to pieces.

message 11: by Angela Jr. (new)

Angela Jr. | 992 comments Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Iain wrote: "If I join this, you guys might make me continue past Shadowfever... I read this series before I got into PNR, really, I think... this series was pretty intense, and I loved how it was ..."

Lol good to know. How many from 6 onwards did you read? I've heard that 6 and 7 are bad, but then it's supposed to get better. Idk, i just don't want to ruin the series by reading crap sequels, i love it so much :)

message 12: by Brittany (new)

Brittany | 146 comments I dont have time for another reread of this series right now but I look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts so I will lurk. Also if you get to Feverborn I will join in as I have never read from there on.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Angela Jr. wrote: "Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Iain wrote: "If I join this, you guys might make me continue past Shadowfever... I read this series before I got into PNR, really, I think... this series was pretty inten..."

I read through 9. And while 9 is better than 6-8, it still relies on the crazy horribleness that 6-8 lay down. It's really un-savable at this point. I especially cringe when KMM uses modern references (like Game of Thrones show references) that wouldn't have existed in the apocalypse, not to mention that these books are still set in like 2006. And she uses random references like this a lot, esp in book 9.

message 14: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) | 1612 comments I only plan to read the first five books too!

message 15: by Angela Jr. (new)

Angela Jr. | 992 comments About to start this one! I'm excited, it's been a long time since i reread the series 😊
And a hint for any first time readers: there's a glossary/pronunciation guide in the back of the book 😉

message 16: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14948 comments I might join if I have time... from what I remember, book 1 is slower than the rest, since it's a fair bit of setup for the series, in general... I also remember that the last 2 books (4-5) are 50-60% of the pagecount...

I remember reading that this series supposedly came to KMM in a dream... not the idea, the entire story word for word, or something to that effect... I wonder if that's why the additional books are not as good...

message 17: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) | 1612 comments I'm here :D

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments I'm probably starting tomorrow. I need to finish up another one first. But this is my 3rd or 4th reread so I'll be happy to discuss before I start. :-)

message 19: by Angela Jr. (new)

Angela Jr. | 992 comments It's my 4th time reading the series as well :)

Chapter 3
...which is why it surprised me that i forgot (view spoiler)

message 20: by Angela Jr. (new)

Angela Jr. | 992 comments I have a gift for forgetting most of the plot when i haven't reread a series in a long time 😅 it tends to come back to me while reading though.
What I do remember are mainly the relationships between the characters, and a few scenes here or there.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments The first few chapters are def tedious. I remember the first time I read it was because it was so highly recommended by a friend, and when I started the book, the descriptions of Mac and the whole situation... I was afraid it was going to be a very cliché book. I was happily surprised.

message 22: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) | 1612 comments Looks like I'm the only person reading it for the first time!

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Karishma wrote: "Looks like I'm the only person reading it for the first time!"

I can't wait to hear your opinion on it! Books 1-5 are one of my favorite series! (I pretend books 6+ don't exist. It's like night and day).

message 24: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14948 comments Angela Jr. wrote: "I have a gift for forgetting most of the plot when i haven't reread a series in a long time 😅 it tends to come back to me while reading though.
What I do remember are mainly the relationships betwe..."

The most memorable scenes for me in this series are the cliffhangers at the end of each book... (view spoiler) (definitely don't click this, Karishma... crazy spoilers for the whole series)

message 25: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) | 1612 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "Angela Jr. wrote: "I have a gift for forgetting most of the plot when i haven't reread a series in a long time 😅 it tends to come back to me while reading though.
What I do remember are mainly the ..."

Okay! I will control myself!

message 26: by Angela Jr. (new)

Angela Jr. | 992 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "Angela Jr. wrote: "I have a gift for forgetting most of the plot when i haven't reread a series in a long time 😅 it tends to come back to me while reading though.
What I do remember are mainly the ..."

Ofc i remember the halloween thing. That was... disturbing, to say the least. (view spoiler)
I also remember the vengeance thing, but no idea how that came about 🤷 (and don't tell me, I'll remember by myself eventually :P)

Off topic: just read a mention of green day's basket case in chapter 7. Do any of you guys by chance know bastille's cover of the song? I really like it :)

Also somewhere in chapter 3, mac talks about movies vs books and harry potter. While I don't think that paragraph was entirely fitting or necessary, it did make me chuckle.

message 27: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) | 1612 comments So we will soon meet the mysterious Barrons! That bookstore sounds like a dream!

Very interested to know about what exactly is happening!

message 28: by Timelord Iain (last edited Nov 19, 2018 10:11AM) (new)

Timelord Iain | 14948 comments Angela Jr. wrote: "Timelord Iain wrote: "Angela Jr. wrote: "I have a gift for forgetting most of the plot when i haven't reread a series in a long time 😅 it tends to come back to me while reading though.
What I do re..."

But (view spoiler)

When I first read this, it was back during my early days exploring UF, and I was kinda tracking the oldest characters I could find... this series tops out early at 120,000yrs old Fae... the whole point was kinda moot when I reached Dragon Bound, which has characters alive since the Big Bang...

I also read this just before I joined Goodreads... so I rated most of the series 4 stars because I liked the 4th book the most and gave it 5...

message 29: by Angela Jr. (new)

Angela Jr. | 992 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "Angela Jr. wrote: "Timelord Iain wrote: "Angela Jr. wrote: "I have a gift for forgetting most of the plot when i haven't reread a series in a long time 😅 it tends to come back to me while reading t..."

(view spoiler)

Lol, so there's a method to your reading madness 😋

message 30: by Angela Jr. (new)

Angela Jr. | 992 comments Karishma wrote: "So we will soon meet the mysterious Barrons! That bookstore sounds like a dream!

Very interested to know about what exactly is happening!"

So interested to know what you'll think of it 😊

message 31: by Karishma (last edited Nov 19, 2018 10:31AM) (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) | 1612 comments The first two impressions of Barrons aren't that great. Straight up suffocating her that badly! Their interactions seem a bit more PNR'ish than fantasy'ish.

Lol to their cuss words substitutions!

message 32: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14948 comments Barrons is definitely a character that grows on people... he's quite standoffish in the first book or 2, from what I remember... until you start getting deeper into the driving mystery of the story...

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Angela Jr. wrote: "Timelord Iain wrote: "Angela Jr. wrote: "I have a gift for forgetting most of the plot when i haven't reread a series in a long time 😅 it tends to come back to me while reading though.
What I do re..."

I'm so glad that my first time around I read the books after they were all out. It was back in the day where I'd read a book a month, before I discovered audiobooks, but I finished all 5 within a week. I couldn't put them down.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Angela Jr. wrote: "Timelord Iain wrote: "Angela Jr. wrote: "Timelord Iain wrote: "Angela Jr. wrote: "I have a gift for forgetting most of the plot when i haven't reread a series in a long time 😅 it tends to come back..."

That actually falls under bribery. He was trying to give her what she wanted so she would give him what he wanted.

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Karishma wrote: "The first two impressions of Barrons aren't that great. Straight up suffocating her that badly! Their interactions seem a bit more PNR'ish than fantasy'ish.

Lol to their cuss words substitutions!"

This book is def more urban fantsy or PNR. It's not straight fantasy at all.

message 36: by Diana Stormblessed (last edited Nov 19, 2018 10:53AM) (new)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "Barrons is definitely a character that grows on people... he's quite standoffish in the first book or 2, from what I remember... until you start getting deeper into the driving mystery of the story..."

He def grew on me. I hate alpha males but I totally fell in love with him. (view spoiler)

message 37: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) | 1612 comments Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Karishma wrote: "The first two impressions of Barrons aren't that great. Straight up suffocating her that badly! Their interactions seem a bit more PNR'ish than fantasy'ish.

Lol to their cuss word..."

Yes, I meant UF when I said fantasy here!

message 38: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) | 1612 comments Angela Jr. wrote: "Timelord Iain wrote: "Angela Jr. wrote: "I have a gift for forgetting most of the plot when i haven't reread a series in a long time 😅 it tends to come back to me while reading though.
What I do re..."

No I haven't heard it. The only Bastille song I heard was Pompeii (Kat Krazy Remix). But i used to listen to Grren Day.

message 39: by Timelord Iain (new)

Timelord Iain | 14948 comments Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Timelord Iain wrote: "Barrons is definitely a character that grows on people... he's quite standoffish in the first book or 2, from what I remember... until you start getting deeper into the drivin..."

@Diana: Frankly, it could almost be either book... (view spoiler) (maybe Angela should avoid this spoiler, as well, since it discusses things she wants to remember on her own)

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "Diana Stormblessed wrote: "Timelord Iain wrote: "Barrons is definitely a character that grows on people... he's quite standoffish in the first book or 2, from what I remember... until you start get..."

(view spoiler)

Yes, major spoiler. Don't open that.

message 41: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) | 1612 comments Chapter 9 and we are finally getting some information. I have been waiting for her to finally get the diary revelation!

message 42: by Angela Jr. (new)

Angela Jr. | 992 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "Barrons is definitely a character that grows on people... he's quite standoffish in the first book or 2, from what I remember... until you start getting deeper into the driving mystery of the story..."

Definitely!
(spoilers for later books)
(view spoiler)

message 43: by Angela Jr. (new)

Angela Jr. | 992 comments Diana Stormblessed wrote: "He def grew on me. I hate alpha males but I totally fell in love with him."

Same here...

Diana Stormblessed (dashichka) | 3908 comments Angela Jr. wrote: "Timelord Iain wrote: "Barrons is definitely a character that grows on people... he's quite standoffish in the first book or 2, from what I remember... until you start getting deeper into the drivin..."

(view spoiler)

I'm loving this reread so much already and I haven't even started rereading.

message 45: by Angela Jr. (new)

Angela Jr. | 992 comments Riiiiight, (view spoiler)

message 46: by Karishma (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) | 1612 comments Angela Jr. wrote: "Riiiiight, [spoilers removed]"

Where is this a spoiler for?

message 47: by Angela Jr. (new)

Angela Jr. | 992 comments Diana Stormblessed wrote: "I'm loving this reread so much already and I haven't even started rereading."

Haha, i know how you feel. We've been doing a harry potter reread for the last few weeks and I'm way behind, but loving the discussion so much 😊

message 48: by Angela Jr. (new)

Angela Jr. | 992 comments Karishma wrote: "Angela Jr. wrote: "Riiiiight, [spoilers removed]"

Where is this a spoiler for?"

Oh sorry, i was replying to Diana's comment above. Spoilers for later in the series

message 49: by Angela Jr. (last edited Nov 19, 2018 11:40AM) (new)

Angela Jr. | 992 comments Karishma wrote: "Chapter 9 and we are finally getting some information. I have been waiting for her to finally get the diary revelation!"

I know, it takes her forever to think of the diary, doesn't it?!
I'm on chapter 10 (view spoiler)

message 50: by Karishma (last edited Nov 19, 2018 11:41AM) (new)

Karishma (karishmanewar) | 1612 comments Yeah that's what I thought too about Chapter 10 - and also my heart hurt at the thought of her having to cut off her hair by herself - what a mess!

I'm stopping here for today. - end of Chapter 11.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7