What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Enchantment
This topic is about Enchantment
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Fantasy novel - accidental time travel, Russia, Olympic runner. [s]

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly | 6 comments A book I read in high school has just popped into my head. I got it from my school library, paperback as I recall, but can't remember title or author.

The story was one of those lost in time stories where a modern young man (athlete, runner) is transported back in time to a medieval Russian village.

When he arrives he saves the town chief's daughter from a bear attack by running around the pit where it was until the bear was exhausted. (There was a specific line about how the character regretting running the "wrong" way around the pit, counter to the direction most races are run.)

He is dragged back to the village and the woman he saved is promised in marriage to him. A lot of culture clash ensues. For whatever reason he was naked for his introduction to the village - he was embarrassed, and circumcised I think, whereas nobody else thought this odd. There is a feast and he performs the Heimlich maneuver on a choking woman and nearly gets stabbed because no one had seen the maneuver before and thought he was attacking her.

Neither are stoked about the wedding and the man is put off by the marriage traditions. There is a passage where the woman reflects on the advice she received from the village women on sex, one line in particular about if he hurts her she shouldn't cry out. :(

Eventually they are married, the woman gets pregnant, they are transported to present day. There is a magical fight going on somewhere in there too. The woman is magical and the pregnancy makes her stronger.

message 2: by Zebby (new)

Zebby | 10 comments Maybe "Enchantment" by Orson Scott Card?

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7...

message 3: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly | 6 comments Zebby wrote: "Maybe "Enchantment" by Orson Scott Card?

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7..."

Got it in one!