What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Fathom Five
This topic is about Fathom Five
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA/teen, war mystery, fiction, U-Boat hiding in a bay, 3 teens on the cusp of adulthood, one is a female who becomes a journalist & picks up smoking & acting more grownup, main character ends up meeting his brother who is a captain of a ship. [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Zebby (new)

Zebby | 10 comments This is a young adult/teen book (or even younger) I read in the late 80s/early 90s. It was a paperback novel, written in English. I think it takes place somewhere in the British Isles or UK/Great Britain. It's during WWII or WWI. The main character is a young man, mid-to-late teens. He has a group of friends including a young woman who starts hanging out with journalists, smoking, and acting more adult...she sort of outgrows her "less mature" group of friends. There is also a lot of rationing going on, and the main character complains about rationing of soap, meat, metal, etc. It involves a U-boat or submarine sneaking around the ocean/bay near the town, and these teens trying to do what they can. A lot of it focuses on the protagonist coming-of-age as he and his friends are on the cusp of adulthood in a very trying time, and as they grow apart. At some point the protagonist's much older brother - who is the captain of a Allied vessel - comes to shore, and they don't have much to connect on. I don't recall the author's name.

I have searched high and low for this book, I was a big fan as a kid. It is not "Wreckers Must Breathe" by Hammond Innes, but if you know that book it's like a YA version of it. It is not "Shadows on the Sea" by Joan Hiatt Harlow, either. Nor is it any of the "Young Underground" series by Robert Elmer, as most of those were published after this book would've been. I do recall the cover of this book looking similar to the covers of two of the "Young Underground" books, specifically "A Way Through the Sea" and "Chasing the Wind".

Thank you very much in advance!

message 2: by Adele (new) - added it

Adele | 1208 comments It could be either The Machine-Gunners or, more likely, its sequel Fathom Five

message 3: by Zebby (new)

Zebby | 10 comments Adele wrote: "It could be either The Machine-Gunners or, more likely, its sequel Fathom Five"

Adele - You rock, it is "Fathom Five". Somehow both you and someone Reddit answered within minutes of one another! Thank you very much.

Now that I know it's a series, I'll have to check out the first book.

Thanks again!

message 4: by Adele (new) - added it

Adele | 1208 comments Excellent! You're very welcome.