Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Past nominations (closed) > October Classic Novel Discussion Topic selection complete

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Please use this topic to nominate a Classic Science Fiction or Fantasy novel you wish to discuss as a group in October (beginning October 1, or as soon thereafter as my head clears and the bowl games wrap up.)

(A Classic novel would typically have been published prior to 2000 and be considered a popular, trailblazing or important work of science fiction or fantasy. Presumably, any actual "classic" is still in print!)

You need not have read the title you are nominating; after all, you'll be reading along. Feel free to say why you are making the nomination, if you care to. If your nomination is selected by the group, you'll be expected to take the lead in the discussion.

We read two different SF/F novels and one short SF/F work each month: One is a "Classic" SF/F novel which was written before 2000; that discussion starts on the 1st of each month. One is a "Contemporary" SF/F novel, which was written after 2000; that discussion starts on the 21st of each month. We also read one or more short stories (or anthologies of short stories) every second month; that discussion starts the 11th of alternate month. You can always check on our upcoming SF/F Novel discussion topics by scrolling down on the Group Homepage to the "Upcoming Reads” section.

You can review past group selections in the "read" section of our Group's BookShelf. If you wish to continue a discussion of one of those past selections, all those discussion topics are still open in our Book Discussions area.

Note that this is our discussion selection for October. The Player of Games has already been selected as our September Classic Novel discussion topic.

Nominations will be open through Tuesday, August 14, when I'll collect the nominees and post a poll so members can choose among them.

message 2: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 2523 comments Normally I would do a Halloween themed book for October, but I doubt I'll find one that is also dragon themed (maybe some little kids picture book with a dragon trick-or-treating?) so this will just be a regular dragon book, a standalone if anyone still needs that for their bingo challenge.

Dragonworld by Byron Preiss

message 3: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 522 comments Ah! How about To Say Nothing of the Dog!! 😁

message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2172 comments I'll nominate A Night in the Lonesome October. It's perfect since each chapter is 1 day in the month. It's filled with references to old movies, myths, & books. It seems like a simple story, but I have over 20 pages of notes on all the allusions gleaned from previous discussions which I can post the day after. There are still a few things we're unsure of including some of the characters on the cover which was painted by Andy Warhol's nephew, James Warhola. For years I'd hoped he could find his notes, but last year he told me they were gone.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Jim wrote: "I'll nominate A Night in the Lonesome October. It's perfect since each chapter is 1 day in the month. It's filled with references to old movies, myths, & books. ..."

OK, but a reminder that we have group discussion of Zelazny's 5 Amber novels starting in 4 days (11th), (Andrea correct me if I'm wrong...) one Zelazny a month for the remainder of the year.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Andrea wrote: "Normally I would do a Halloween themed book for October, but I doubt I'll find one that is also dragon themed (maybe some little kids picture book with a dragon trick-or-treating?)..."

Googling "dragon halloween book" did indeed turn up some kids books. (Also an 7' inflatable dragon for decorating the front yard. :)

message 7: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2172 comments I'd forgotten that. Just saw the group hadn't read 'Lonesome October'.

message 8: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 2523 comments Jim wrote: "I'd forgotten that. Just saw the group hadn't read 'Lonesome October'."

I would have normally nominated that this month (I tried last year) but it might be much to have two Zelazny's in one month when there are already complaints if we have one anthology and one novel several months apart for the same author within the same year. I will definitely nominate it next year if someone else doesn't!

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) Rachel wrote: "Ah! How about To Say Nothing of the Dog!! 😁"

second that

message 10: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 11, 2018 03:26PM) (new)

(Disregard reminder that nominations closed Saturday, they are still open to Tuesday.)

message 11: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2172 comments Andrea wrote: "I would have normally nominated that this month (I tried last year) but it might be much to have two Zelazny's in one month when there are already complaints if we have one anthology and one novel several months apart for the same author within the same year...."

If they don't like the idea, the vote should reflect that. The novels are nothing alike. Zelazny was quite versatile with his styles & these were written over 20 years apart.

message 12: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 14, 2018 06:23PM) (new)

Reminder: OK, now, really, today, Tuesday, is the final day to nominate a Classic Fantasy or Science Fiction novel for our October group read and discussion.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) Jim wrote: "I'll nominate A Night in the Lonesome October. It's perfect since each chapter is 1 day in the month. It's filled with references to old movies, myths, & books. It seems like a simple ..."

I just found a very good condition copy of this book at my favorite $1 bookstore. When I went to post my new acquisition in Goodreads I was surprised to find that there is also a title by the same name written by Richard Laymon. Turns out the title is from a line in the poem Ulalume by Edgar Allan Poe. Also I was not aware this was Zelazny's last book before he died.

message 14: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2172 comments That's a great deal, Randy. 'Ulalume' is typical of what makes A Night in the Lonesome October so cool. Even the name of the book has hidden depths. It's a pretty good poem to set the tone, too.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Announcement banner
Thank you for the nominations. A poll to select our Classic Science Fiction / Fantasy Novel discussion topic for October is now open. If you're interested in participating in the discussion of one of our nominees, you can vote here for your choice.

Please vote only if you plan on participating in the discussion of that book.

Note that this is our discussion selection for October. The Player of Games has already been selected as our September Classic Novel discussion topic.

This poll will be open through Tuesday, August 21.

message 16: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 28, 2018 08:28PM) (new)

Reminder: For those who are interested in discussing one of the above nominees with the group, today is the final day to vote for one of our Classic Fantasy or Science Fiction novel for our October group read and discussion.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) I'm pretty sure voting is over and we'll be reading A Night in the Lonesome October in October.

message 18: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2172 comments Randy wrote: "I'm pretty sure voting is over and we'll be reading A Night in the Lonesome October in October."

Super. I'll break out the daily notes & it's fun guessing at the characters on the original cover, too.

message 19: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 2523 comments I...can't figure out where I put the book! Good thing I have a month and a bit to hunt it down.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.