Christian Speculative Fiction discussion

Christian Manga/Anime/Comic Books

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by M.H. (new)

M.H. Elrich (mhelrichbooks) | 76 comments So I've recently become a Middle School English teacher and I noticed a lot of the children enjoy reading Manga. As an anime fan myself, I lament the fact that many Manga/Anime is not clean, nor is it Christian. There are some clean Manga (Silver Spoon/Fruits Basket) but not that many, and I've not heard of any Christian Manga beyond the Bible in comic book fashion. Is anyone writing Christian Manga or know a Christian Manga I can recommend for my kiddos?
Thanks for you help,
M.H.

message 2: by Lara (new)

Lara Lee | 500 comments Mod
There are a few great Christain Manga series, but they are hard to find. I discovered them when my husband worked at Lifeway for a while. You can find them in the kids' section if you have a store near you. I highly recommend this series:

Tomo, Volume 1: I Was an Eighth-Grade Ninja

message 3: by Lara (new)

Lara Lee | 500 comments Mod
The Manga Bible is pretty cool, but I can't vouch for how accurate it is. I am not sure if you can recommend that if you teach at a public school. I still think it is awesome to look at!

The Manga Bible: From Genesis to Revelation

Oh, and congratulations on the teaching position! I got so excited about the Anime and Manga thoughts that I just breezed by that point.

message 4: by M.H. (new)

M.H. Elrich (mhelrichbooks) | 76 comments Thanks for the recommendations! I teach at a Christian school, so I'm all clear there ;)

message 5: by D.M. (new)

D.M. Dutcher  | 22 comments Buzz Dixon, who worked in animation a while back, launched Realbuzz studios which was an attempt at making Christian manga. He had three titles, Choosing Change (Serenity), Empty Mansions: Couplers Series Book #2 (Couplers,) and Out of the Soup: Goofyfoot Gurl Vol 4 (Goofyfoot Girl). You can still find them if you look. Unfortunately, like just about any attempt at Christian art that isn't Amish fiction, it died.

The mangaSaint Tail, Vol. 1 is as Christian friendly as it gets, even though it gets Catholicism wrong.

message 6: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (BooksAndAllSorts) (booksandallsorts) | 17 comments I just discovered this conversation, and I'm really glad I did, because I read a lot of manga! A few good examples are Bakuman, about a two boys who want to write/draw manga, Psyren, which is more of a science fiction type, and for more girly girl types, there is Kitchen Princess which is kind of a romance about a girl who likes cooking. I hope those are helpful, I have a few more, and I hope you find even more good manga!

message 7: by D.M. (new)

D.M. Dutcher  | 22 comments If you want to steer it to non-christian but family friendly manga, a couple that are ok are Laid-Back Camp, Vol. 1 (slice of life about camping in Japan), My Neighbor Seki, Vol. 1 (funny episodes about a normal girl and her wacky game-playing classmate), and Non Non Biyori vol. 01 (gag manga about rural life).

If you are okay with Marvel superhero level violence, 僕のヒーローアカデミア 1 Boku No Hero Academia 1 My Hero Academia has some good messages while being an excellent superhero book. I'd stay away from Vigilantes, though.