Pride and Prejudice Pride and Prejudice question

Great book but unfulfilled potential??
Cj Cj Aug 07, 2018 04:47AM
Love Jane Austen, have reread pride and prejudice and I just feel there were a few places where she could have given a discussion, between the characters especially Lizzy and the beloved Mr. Darcy, I wanted more expression from them. Am I alone in this...?

deleted member (last edited Aug 29, 2018 09:26AM ) Aug 08, 2018 05:38AM   0 votes
Agreed. But many English published romances from this era seem to be like this. :-\ I find most of the ones written in this era by male authors even more laking in this respect.
The 1995 tv mini-series adaption added some mostly non dialogue scenes that show us more of Darcy's thoughts (And there is the scene where Elizabeth imagines Darcy in her mirror.). The 2005 movie adaption, and someone tell me if I'm wrong because I haven't watched it in awhile, did an excellent job on adding more discussion/expression from the characters.
Another thing to keep in mind is the type of etiqutte, protocols, and teachings of restraint surrounding courtship (and maaany other things) for the characters social classes in England.

Cj Oh so happy to have someone agree with me, none of my friends read any classics so I have no-one to discuss this with and it was just gnawing at me. T ...more
Aug 08, 2018 02:20PM · flag
deleted user I feel that the 2005 adaption kept the heart and core of the story while adding more depth. As a side note, you might enjoy this list https://www.silv ...more
Aug 19, 2018 12:43PM · flag

I agrer with emotions being portrayed in the arguments being their main focous. Mostly the i feel it was lacking in the engagment scene. I read the text a few times to see if i were distracted and missed something. I just felt it was glossed over. Especially if given the era, is a reasonibg for this. I thought that would be the most appropriate time to be brazenly emotional in dialogue.

interesting point! admittedly not one I thought of myself but it's true that their expressions of endearment are meagre. Then again, I would argue there was a lot of passionate emotion in the many arguments they had, such as when Mr Darcy first told Elizabeth how much he admired her and at Netherfield. Just out of curiosity where do you feel like the dialogue was lacking?

Well, I don't know which books to add to this list, but
I may recommend you to visit the following source https://essayexplorer.com/blog/missin.... I'm sure you'll find lots of useful information about novels there. Also, you can order the essay there. Anyway, hope, it's gonna be useful for you.

Yeah, I agree that we all could've benefited from more D/E interaction and more character development overall, but, ah well, that's what fanfiction is for ;) (shhh...)

On my last reread I noticed a lot of emotions that I hadn't noticed before. Darcy feels more awkward and eager during the Rosings dialogues (he keeps trying to meet Elizabeth where she is, but he's assuming where she is, so he misses), Bingley feels far more cheerful and friend-shaped, and Elizabeth's defensiveness (due no doubt to her status in life and her admittedly embarrassing immediate family, she's not blind) is more palpable. So maybe it's just the extremely dry, somewhat difficult language that's blocking you?

If you loved the movie, then it's probably the language and context. The movie is adapted for modern audiences and contains adjustments that would let us picture in our terms how D & E were with each other. Considering it's a movie adaptation, there are a lot more verbatim dialogues than I thought there would be. The book now leaves me squealing just as much as the movie, because now that I know the contents of both and have done some research on Regency England, I can adjust the context of the book.