Historical Romance Book Club discussion

Gaol/Buddy Reads & Challenges > BR - Brothers Sinister Series

Comments Showing 1-50 of 128 (128 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Priya (last edited Sep 03, 2018 06:11PM) (new)

Priya (priyachennareddy) | 1544 comments Mod
BR of Brothers Sinister Series(7 works including Novellas), starting in September, 2018. You are welcome to join in the BR or discussion.

Participants:

Dawn
Jan
Lorien
Mariana
Priya
Tanya

message 2: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 6 comments Can you add my name to the list?

message 3: by Priya (new)

Dawn wrote: "Can you add my name to the list?"

Added!

message 4: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2248 comments Dawn wrote: "Can you add my name to the list?"

Welcome Dawn! :)

message 5: by Priya (new)

Just one more week in August. Shall we start reading the prequel in the first week of September?

message 6: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2248 comments Yes, that sounds good to me. I am ready as soon as everyone else is.

message 7: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2248 comments Starting The Governess Affair today.

message 8: by Priya (new)

The Governess Affair
The Governess Affair (Brothers Sinister, #0.5) by Courtney Milan

She will not give up…

Three months ago, governess Serena Barton was let go from her position. Unable to find new work, she’s demanding compensation from the man who got her sacked: a petty, selfish, swinish duke. But it’s not the duke she fears. It’s his merciless man of business—the man known as the Wolf of Clermont. The formidable former pugilist has a black reputation for handling all the duke’s dirty business, and when the duke turns her case over to him, she doesn’t stand a chance. But she can’t stop trying—not with her entire future at stake.

He cannot give in…

Hugo Marshall is a man of ruthless ambition—a characteristic that has served him well, elevating the coal miner’s son to the right hand man of a duke. When his employer orders him to get rid of the pestering governess by fair means or foul, it’s just another day at the office. Unfortunately, fair means don’t work on Serena, and as he comes to know her, he discovers that he can’t bear to use foul ones. But everything he has worked for depends upon seeing her gone. He’ll have to choose between the life that he needs, and the woman he is coming to love

message 9: by Priya (new)

I can start reading tomorrow.

message 10: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Sridhar (angellus08) | 340 comments I'd love to join in too, if it isn't too late! However, a few books might be re-read for me but I love Courtney Milan.

message 11: by Mariana (last edited Sep 02, 2018 01:32PM) (new)

Mariana | 2248 comments Tanya wrote: "I'd love to join in too, if it isn't too late! However, a few books might be re-read for me but I love Courtney Milan."

It's definitely not too late. Half the books are re-reads for me too.

message 12: by Priya (new)

Tanya wrote: "I'd love to join in too, if it isn't too late! However, a few books might be re-read for me but I love Courtney Milan."

Welcome, Tanya!

message 13: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Sridhar (angellus08) | 340 comments Awesome! I'm ready to begin anytime!

message 14: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2248 comments Since #0.5 is a novella, I started and finished The Governess Affair on Saturday. I enjoyed the re-read just as much as the first time. I look forward to reading others' thoughts on it. I am ready to start The Duchess War when everyone else is.

message 15: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1815 comments I got the boxed set of this a while ago when it was on sale and haven't read them yet, so maybe I should join in. I've got a few other challenges too though, so I'm not sure how far I'll get. But, OK, I'm in. You can add my name, although I can't promise to keep up. (I'll try though!)

message 16: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Sridhar (angellus08) | 340 comments Jan130 wrote: "I got the boxed set of this a while ago when it was on sale and haven't read them yet, so maybe I should join in. I've got a few other challenges too though, so I'm not sure how far I'll get. But, ..."

Courtney Milan is one of my favorite HR authors, and this series is one of my favs! I think you might like some of them :)

message 17: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1815 comments Thanks Tanya. I just read the first novella (The Governess Affair) and quite liked it.

message 18: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Sridhar (angellus08) | 340 comments Just finished The Governess Affair, and like the first time around I absolutely loved the book. It's one of the few novella's I've read that do enough to develop the characters individually and also as a couple.

One of my favorite HR's for sure. I love love love Hugo and Serena!

message 19: by Iza (new)

Iza Brekilien (izabrekilien) I read The Governess affair recently and absolutely loved it too ! I just wish I had more time to read because that series looks great.

message 20: by Lorien (new)

Lorien | 386 comments Tanya wrote: "Just finished The Governess Affair, and like the first time around I absolutely loved the book. It's one of the few novella's I've read that do enough to develop the characters individually and als..."
Agreed, it is short, but I don't feel like I missed out on too much.

message 21: by Priya (new)

I finished reading it for the second time and changed my 4starred rating to 5 stars. That wedding night (hair pin scene) and the simple way they professed their love was sweet.

message 22: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2248 comments I agree with all your comments.

Character development is surprisingly well done for a novella.

The wedding night scene was perfect.

message 23: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Sridhar (angellus08) | 340 comments The wedding nights and the parts with the pins was definitely amazing! Such a powerful statement without any theatrics.

message 24: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2248 comments Everyone ready to start reading The Duchess War this weekend?

message 25: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Sridhar (angellus08) | 340 comments I'm game. I seem to be reading 5 books at a time currently, but there's always time for Courtney Milan!

message 26: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2248 comments Tanya wrote: "I'm game. I seem to be reading 5 books at a time currently, but there's always time for Courtney Milan!"

I'm currently also reading four or five books, but none of them are fully engaging me. I am making just a little progress in each of them every day. I think I'm ready for a book that I know is better than mediocre.

message 27: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2248 comments Well, I started; and like the prequel novella that I read in one day, had a hard time putting it down. I read the first 5 chapters.

Who is reading for the first time?

message 28: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1815 comments Ha ha ladies. I read several books at once too. So why not begin another one? LOL. Mariana, I'm reading for the first time. Read the novella the other day, so will start The Duchess War, maybe tonight?

message 29: by Priya (new)

I will be able to start it only in the next week. I am currently reading my Pirate book for RAA challenge.

message 30: by Lorien (new)

Lorien | 386 comments I'm also reading to many books at a time. But i finished 3 yesterday! So I think I'll try to start this one again tonight. I had started it months ago and got a grew chapters in.

message 31: by Tanya (last edited Sep 09, 2018 08:34AM) (new)

Tanya Sridhar (angellus08) | 340 comments I had a 2 hour journey to and fro today - I made the most of that time by reading! A lot. So I am currently at chapter 14.

This is possibly my 3rd time reading this book and it's still just as captivating as ever. I love Minnie, and I love Robert. I find myself wishing I was reading this book for the first time so I could really absorb everything. I know exactly what's coming up but I still enjoy it immensly.

I can't wait to move on to the next (A kiss for Midwinter) which is basically my favorite of favorites!!

message 32: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2248 comments Tanya wrote: "I had a 2 hour journey to and fro today - I made the most of that time by reading! A lot. So I am currently at chapter 14.

This is possibly my 3rd time reading this book and it's still just as ca..."

This is also my third time reading. I love this story.

I have never read A Kiss For Midwinter, so I am looking forward to it.

message 33: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2248 comments Jan130 wrote: "Ha ha ladies. I read several books at once too. So why not begin another one? LOL. Mariana, I'm reading for the first time. Read the novella the other day, so will start The Duchess War, maybe toni..."

I look forward to your thoughts.

message 34: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Sridhar (angellus08) | 340 comments Mariana wrote: "Tanya wrote: "I had a 2 hour journey to and fro today - I made the most of that time by reading! A lot. So I am currently at chapter 14.

This is possibly my 3rd time reading this book and it's st..."

Oh it's Lydia's story! And I absolutely loved it! Can't wait to hear your thoughts on it :)

message 35: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Sridhar (angellus08) | 340 comments I just finished the Duchess War. Loved it just as much this time as the previous. Minnie is one of my favourite heroine's and don't even get me started on Robert!

My complaint has always remained that the epilogue is too short.

message 36: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2248 comments Over yesterday and today I read the next five chapters, so I am through chapter 10.

Anyone else made progress?

message 37: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1815 comments OK I've started The Duchess War. Read the first 3 chapters. I like the start/chapter 1. I'm intrigued by the mystery that's going on. No spoilers please! SFSG.

message 38: by Lorien (new)

Lorien | 386 comments I tried to pick up where I left off. But needed the refresher so I'm only 2 chapters in.

message 39: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2248 comments No spoilers from me. I am waiting to react to comments. I plan to continue reading today and not post any comments for those who have never read.

message 40: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Sridhar (angellus08) | 340 comments No spoilers from me! I'll be waiting to read your comments and see how you guys like it! I'm going to catch up on my other books in the mean time!

message 41: by Jan (new)

Jan (jan130) | 1815 comments I've read the first 6 chapters now. Still quite liking it.

message 42: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2248 comments Jan130 wrote: "I've read the first 6 chapters now. Still quite liking it."

Here is what I liked about chapter 6 the first time I read it (still do):

(view spoiler)

message 43: by Lorien (new)

Lorien | 386 comments I have to agree 100% with Mariana's spoiler.

Also, did anyone love the planning of his bachelor party as much as me.?

message 44: by Tanya (new)

Tanya Sridhar (angellus08) | 340 comments Lorien wrote: "I have to agree 100% with Mariana's spoiler.

Also, did anyone love the planning of his bachelor party as much as me.?"

Same here. One of the few books that did a really really good job of explaining both characters personalities tying in with their pasts.

Yes, I loved the bachelor party. That's when I fell in love with Oliver!

message 45: by Lorien (new)

Lorien | 386 comments Kay finished, I had one issue (view spoiler) Besides that I loved all of the right in the emotional gut punches.
The conversation while he was feeding the ducks especially. was just ooooff.

message 46: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2248 comments Lorien wrote: "I have to agree 100% with Mariana's spoiler.

Yes, that was hilarious!

message 47: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2248 comments Lorien wrote: "Kay finished, I had one issue [spoilers removed] Besides that I loved all of the right in the emotional gut punches.
The conversation while he was feeding the ducks especially. was just ooooff."

I agree that he might have been able to work around exposing his wife, but it would not have had the same weight. He might would even have to put Minnie on the stand to prove she had that level of chess knowledge.

message 48: by Priya (new)

Lorien wrote: "Kay finished, I had one issue [spoilers removed] Besides that I loved all of the right in the emotional gut punches.
The conversation while he was feeding the ducks especially. was just ooooff."

I agree with Mariana. (view spoiler).

message 49: by Priya (new)

Lorien wrote: "I have to agree 100% with Mariana's spoiler.

The train ride from London to Leicester (with Sebastian and Violet) and the bachelor party plan were my favourite funny parts of this book.

message 50: by Priya (last edited Sep 15, 2018 10:31PM) (new)

I finished reading and this book has everything. It has humour, emotions, romance, tragedies, tough situations to overcome and MCs who loved each other more with each of those situations.

It has one of my favourite tropes- (view spoiler)

« previous 1 3