What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Non-Fiction Anthology Book Series Criminals--Bonnie and Clyde, John Dillinger--Supernatural: Spontaneous Combustion, Demons, Angels

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eric (last edited Sep 28, 2018 01:02PM) (new)

Eric | 12 comments I read a few books from an anthology series made for a middle school audience in 2007-2008.

I'm guessing they were released in 2007, since my school recently received them for educational purposes. They may have been color coded. I only remember reading one with a green cover.

I distinctly remember two or three--one was about criminals, the other was about supernatural phenomena, and the third was about abnormal psychological cases. The book about criminals had stories about Bonnie and Clyde, John Dillinger, and probably Al Capone.

The supernatural themed book had a story about spontaneous combustion, where it told a story of a woman lighting a cigarette and bursting into flames, leaving only ash around her chair in the living room. There was another story about ESP, and had tales of mind reading and clairvoyance. There were probably stories about ghosts, demons, and angels but I don't remember any specific ones.

The third book about psychological phenomena might have been a subsection of the second book. It had a story about sleepwalking where the sleepwalker accidentally kills people and how they are trialed afterwards. There was also a story about multiple personalities.

These books were fairly short, maybe 75-150 pages. They were written in English for American students.

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
Eric ~~
This sounds interesting.
You can bump your thread every thirty days or so to move it back to the top of the folder. More eyes will see your thread, and someone must know it!

message 3: by Eric (new)

Eric | 12 comments Update: The story about multiple personalities was about Chris Costner Sizemore who had around 22 personalities. The book mentioned the movie, The Three Faces of Eve, based off of her life.

There was another story in one of the books about Typhoid Mary, and it told her complete story in about three or four pages. Each chapter was fairly short, but had plenty of pictures. It told about the towns Typhoid Mary went to and how people got sick around her. I don't know which book that one was in. I'm guessing it was in the psychological phenomena one.

message 4: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4161 comments Strange But True Stories maybe? Strange But True Stories Book 1 The Presidential Ghost, Mystery Spots on Earth, UFO or Weather Balloon? ...and More by Janice Greene Strange But True Stories Book 2 by Janet Lorimer Strange But True Stories Book 3 The Jersy Devil, Phantom Ships, Living Dinosaurs? by Janet Lorimer Strange But True Stories Book 4 by Janet Lorimer Strange But True Stories, Book 5 by Janice Greene

Though I don't see criminals one, here is the content listing of the 5 books on worldcat: http://www.worldcat.org/title/strange...

message 5: by Eric (new)

Eric | 12 comments That's the right idea, but it isn't that series. Thanks.

message 6: by Eric (new)

Eric | 12 comments Bump

message 7: by Eric (new)

Eric | 12 comments Bump

message 8: by Ayshe (last edited Jan 21, 2019 12:30AM) (new)

Ayshe | 4161 comments How about Secrets of the Unexplained? The author has also written Gangsters which appears to include Al Capone, Bonnie and Clyde, and John Dillinger.

Amber (Daisymau) (daisymau) | 1119 comments Mysteries of the Unexplained has some of the things you mention. I can't remember if the gangster's were in it.