SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Bannerless (The Bannerless Saga, #1)
This topic is about Bannerless
What Else Are You Reading? > "Bannerless" by Carrie Vaughn (BR)

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sarah | 2611 comments Sorry- I completely forgot to get this thread started! August is already flying by. I’m going to be a little delayed getting this started but not by much. What about everyone else?

Ariana | 657 comments Almost done with Trail of Lightning. Next are this one and the Bingo book, Certain Dark Things. I was kind of thinking Bingo book first, and it sounds like that would work for you if you're going to get a late start also.

Sarah | 2611 comments Yup! That’s exactly what I’m reading now Ariana is Bingo. Certain Dark things seems like it’s going quick so I don’t think this will be delayed too much.

Ariana | 657 comments Excellent! Hopefully I can blaze through Certain Dark Things, start Bannerless and Record of a Spaceborn Few, squeeze in Rogue Protocol somewhere, and I'll be caught up!

Sarah | 2611 comments Haha! Sending positive: “you can do it!” vibes your way. I’ve got Certain Dark Things, this, Kraken, and Ammonite, if that hasn’t been pushed back yet.

message 6: by Ashley (new) - added it

Ashley (whotellsyourstory) | 261 comments Sarah, are you in favor of pushing Ammonite back? I couldn’t remember who was even interested in the BR. I’m okay with it going either way, but if we want to push it back let’s fix it on the calendar before the date gets any closer.

Sarah | 2611 comments Yes I’d be okay with it Ashley! But either way is fine. I think Bannerless and Certain Dark Things are pretty quick.

Sarah | 2611 comments I read through the first three chapters of this tonight. I like it a lot. This is definitely different from the average dystopian. The setting feels really unique to me and also at odds with what I thought would be the theme of the novel, so I think this will be really interesting.

Ariana | 657 comments I started this yesterday, and I'm also enjoying it.

Ch. 1: (view spoiler)

Sarah | 2611 comments Ariana wrote: "I started this yesterday, and I'm also enjoying it.

Ch. 1:... "

(view spoiler)

Sarah | 2611 comments I’m up to Chapter 5 and finding it hard to put down. I’m enjoying the author’s use of storms both (view spoiler)

Through Chapter 4 spoilers:
(view spoiler)

Ariana | 657 comments Sarah wrote: "...Through Chapter 4 spoilers:
(view spoiler)

Also through Ch. 4: (view spoiler)

Sarah | 2611 comments Ariana wrote: "Sarah wrote: "...Through Chapter 4 spoilers:
[spoilers removed]

Also through Ch. 4: "

(view spoiler)

Sarah | 2611 comments 55% (through chapter 8)

(view spoiler)

Sarah | 2611 comments 77% part way through Chapter 11, pg 211

(view spoiler)

Ariana | 657 comments Sarah wrote: "77% part way through Chapter 11, pg 211

[spoilers removed]"

Ahh you're so fast!

Sarah | 2611 comments Ariana wrote: "Sarah wrote: "77% part way through Chapter 11, pg 211

[spoilers removed]"

Ahh you're so fast!"

I'm sorry! I got started and I just found it very hard to put down. I really loved the setting and the story. How are you doing with the book?

Ariana | 657 comments Sarah wrote: "I'm sorry! I got started and I just found it very hard to put down. I really loved the setting and the story. How are you doing with the book?"

Very enjoyable! I just haven't had a ton of time to read, I guess. And I have it as an ebook, instead of audio. I tend to get through audio faster, since I can listen while driving, doing errands, etc.

I'm a little more than half way. I like the main character a lot, and I agree the setting is pretty interesting.

message 19: by Ariana (last edited Aug 19, 2018 09:31PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ariana | 657 comments Sarah wrote: "55% (through chapter 8)
(view spoiler)

Totally with you. (view spoiler)

Sarah | 2611 comments That’s really cool! I’ve been wondering what city the ruins were supposed to be. Looks maybe like San Jose?

Sarah | 2611 comments Ariana wrote: "Sarah wrote: "55% (through chapter 8)
(view spoiler)"

To..."

(view spoiler)

I have not read Station Eleven- but it is on my list. If it’s not a plot related spoiler I don’t mind. General setting, world details, etc. don’t bother me. I just don’t like the- whodunnit type spoilers, character deaths, that sort of thing. So if it’s related to how that world collapsed share away!

Ariana | 657 comments This book feels like it could take place 80 years after Station Eleven. I quite liked it, but it's very different in tone and writing style from this one. Because it takes place (view spoiler) (not a spoiler, it's in the blurb, but being cautious for folks who don't even read the blurb), it was much more anxiety producing for me, but it's very well written.

I've actually loved how non-dystopic this dystopia is. Ch. 10 (view spoiler)

I am almost done, probably will finish today!

message 24: by Ariana (last edited Aug 20, 2018 11:41AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ariana | 657 comments Sarah wrote: "That’s really cool! I’ve been wondering what city the ruins were supposed to be. Looks maybe like San Jose?"

Yeah, I think that's a good guess, with all the typhoons having changed the geography of the Bay quite a bit.

I was wondering about Fintown... At first I thought maybe Monterey? But if you figure it took weeks of walking instead of days, and a fit adult can probably walk 15 miles a day, it's probably closer to San Luis Obispo.

Sarah | 2611 comments Ariana wrote: "Sarah wrote: "That’s really cool! I’ve been wondering what city the ruins were supposed to be. Looks maybe like San Jose?"

Yeah, I think that's a good guess, with all the typhoons having changed t..."

I was also thinking San Luis Obispo- so pretty there (at least in pictures-ha!).

I also love how non-dystopic this is! I did finish already- I just didn't post anything because I didn't want you to feel rushed.. lol. Too much to read right now and this one was so lovely.

I do have to wonder how the author feels about (view spoiler)

Ariana | 657 comments Done! This was really fun. Thanks for organizing the buddy read! This would have sat on my TBR forever otherwise, and it was great to read with someone else.

A few thoughts: (view spoiler)

Here is what I really need help with:
(view spoiler)

message 27: by Sarah (last edited Aug 21, 2018 03:37AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah | 2611 comments Ariana wrote: "Done! This was really fun. Thanks for organizing the buddy read! This would have sat on my TBR forever otherwise, and it was great to read with someone else.

A few thoughts: Ok, re: reproductive ..."

Thanks for joining me! I wish we had had a couple more buddies just because I enjoyed the book and would liked to have shared it with others- but I’m really glad I was able to discuss it with you!

(view spoiler)

Re: Farming: (view spoiler)