Kindle British Mystery Book Club discussion

Book Club Selection > September 2018 Group Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Gooch | 3977 comments Mod
Nominations are now open for the September Group Reads and will close on 19th August 2018 at midnight GMT. Voting will then be from 21st to 28th August 2018 inclusive.

You may nominate Two books, one in each category (1. Group Main Read,
2. Group Value Read)
Value books must be £4 ($5.30) or less and will also be added from the freebies board or good finds.

General rules for Group Reads

1) If your nomination wins - you will be asked to be the discussion leader.

2) No self-nominations by authors please.

3) Please try not to repeat an author we have read in the last year, for the sake of variety. Check our bookshelves to see the authors we've read in the past year. Our bookshelf is at:
https://www.goodreads.com/group/books...

4) For your nomination please try and include Title, Author and Link (Use the "add book/author" link at the top of the comment box).

5) Please ensure your nomination is a British Mystery. Please see the thread https://www.goodreads.com/group/books... for what is considered a British Mystery if you are unsure.

If you nominate a book that is part of a series please be sure that it can be read as a standalone for those members that may not have read the other books in the series.

message 2: by David (last edited Aug 09, 2018 05:59AM) (new)

Spotted this book and thought how apt...well the title anyway.

Murder At The Book Club by Betsy Reavley

I nominate as my value read choice "Murder at the Book Club" by Betsy Reavley

"Imagine nine women meeting. Tea and cake are on the coffee table. They’ve come together to share their love of books. They are friends. They trust each other. It’s a happy gathering. What could be more harmless?

Then scratch the surface and look closer.

One is lonely. One is desperate and one of them is a killer.

When the body of a woman is discovered on a Cambridge common, DCI Barrett and DI Palmer are called in to investigate. But the motive behind the crime isn’t clear… And it all leads back to a book club.

As the lies, volatile friendships and tension among the group rise to the surface, DCI Barrett and DI Palmer must work out the motive and track down a cold-blooded killer. But just when they think they are on the right track, a twist in the case throws them off course…"

Currently 99 pence in UK. Link is https://amzn.to/2ATFgWl

message 3: by Bill (new)

Bill Kupersmith | 554 comments Mod
I’d like to nominate Caroline Mitchell’s Truth and Lies. It seems just borderline between main and value read.

message 4: by Beth (new)

Beth Stewart | 569 comments Just a thought. I wonder if we should be allowed to nominate a book previously suggested, but not the winner last time. Sometimes we are very close in the vote ...perhaps give the one with votes, but just not enough to win, one more chance in a subsequent month????

message 5: by Mary (new)

Mary C | 173 comments I don't think there's a rule that prevents a renomination. What do you have in mind?

message 6: by Beth (new)

Beth Stewart | 569 comments Nothing in particular, Mary. Was just thinking we have missed some good ones that came in second.

message 7: by Mary (new)

Mary C | 173 comments You're right, Beth. There have been some interesting 'also rans'. I got a couple of them and haven't yet read same. I will dig them out and maybe offer one up for nomination.

message 8: by Mary (new)

Mary C | 173 comments David wrote: "Spotted this book and thought how apt...well the title anyway.

I nominate as my value read choice "Murder at the Book Club" by Betsy Reavley

"Imagine..."

And $0.99 US Amazon

message 9: by David (new)

Beth wrote: "Just a thought. I wonder if we should be allowed to nominate a book previously suggested, but not the winner last time. Sometimes we are very close in the vote ...perhaps give the one with votes, b..."
Nothing wrong with that Mary at all.
just make sure it's not an author we have read in last 12 months as a group read and it's ok.

message 10: by David (last edited Aug 13, 2018 12:47AM) (new)

Bill wrote: "I’d like to nominate Caroline Mitchell’s Truth and Lies. It seems just borderline between main and value read."

99 pence in UK Bill.
Link is https://amzn.to/2nB5T8V
Truth and Lies (DI Amy Winter, #1) by Caroline Mitchell

message 11: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 556 comments Mary wrote: "David wrote: "Spotted this book and thought how apt...well the title anyway.

I nominate as my value read choice "Murder at the Book Club" by Betsy Rea..."

This sounds good to me!

message 12: by AngryGreyCat (new)

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 556 comments Bill wrote: "I’d like to nominate Caroline Mitchell’s Truth and Lies. It seems just borderline between main and value read."

David wrote: "Bill wrote: "I’d like to nominate Caroline Mitchell’s Truth and Lies. It seems just borderline between main and value read."

99 pence in UK Bill.
Link is https://amzn.to/2nB5T8V
[bookcover:Truth a..."

This one sounds good as well. I'm seeing it at $5.99 on Amazon.com

message 13: by Erunyauve (new)

Erunyauve | 168 comments I agree with re-nominating books that came in second - I often use the 'losers' to find my next read.

message 14: by David (last edited Aug 14, 2018 06:02AM) (new)

It is quite within the guidelines to renominate a book that did not get group read on a particular month.

Please though do check current prices to see if it is still a value or general read and is not an author we have read in the last year.

message 15: by David (new)

Right only two books nominated this month and as Bill's could be outside the value read costs his will be the main read and the other is the value read.

Main Read: Truth and Lies by Caroline Mitchell

Value Read: Murder at the Book Club by Betsy Reavley

message 16: by Bill (new)

Delighted with our choices.

message 17: by Beth (new)

Beth Stewart | 569 comments I am already reading the book club one!!!!!!

message 18: by David (new)

Beth wrote: "I am already reading the book club one!!!!!!"

Good early start then Beth.
I look forward to your review and comments on it.

message 19: by Erunyauve (new)

Erunyauve | 168 comments Just got 'Truth and Lies' - it's Kindle Unlimited for those who have that.

message 20: by Bill (new)

Downloaded Truth and Lies. Exciting to start a new series by a familiar writer.