What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Spy / Thriller. Bond-esque action adventure. No specific plot details.

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mike (last edited Aug 06, 2018 11:15PM) (new)

Mike Rap | 1 comments I recall no specific plot details at all. What I do remember about the book is as follows:

Spy / adventure novel with male protagonist, I think British. Could have been a series of novels with the character, but that's just a guess.

Written in the first person.

Airplane / flight scene where our main character cuts off the oxygen, possibly to extract info from others on board - only a couple of people, not a full aircraft of people. Almost suffocates himself in the process.

The flight may have been on its way to the final scene of the novel - in a castle or base on an island, or in some mountains or similar - probably the location of bad guy / antagonist.

Main character often uses the phrase "I'd have given good odds" (or something very similar) when making some assumptions or statements.

I read the book in about 1997 and I'd guess it was written 1960-1985. And maybe set post WW2. A pulp-ish adventure yarn, an easy read and entertaining.

I think I recognised the author's name when I borrowed the book, so hopefully they're succesfull or well known.

That's it. Any help much appreciated :)

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4070 comments Mod
Mike ~~

You can bump your thread every thirty days or so to move it back to the top of the folder. More eyes will see your thread, and someone must know it!