Austenesque Lovers TBR Pile Challenge 2018 discussion

Assorted & Sundry Matters > Dusty Shelf Book Scavenger Hunt- September

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sophia (new)

Sophia (sophiarose) | 917 comments Mod
Doesn't it feel great to get to a book that's been setting on your shelf for so long?
Here we go again!!!

Every other month, I will post up a Scavenger Clue (theme) and that will determine what you choose to pull off your shelf (or the library's shelf) to read.
This will be a difficult (but not too difficult) challenge in that your book has to meet two qualifications.
1. It has to match the Scavenger Clue Theme.
2. It has to have been published over 2 years ago.

That's right! We're aiming at those oldies, but goodies that have been left behind to gather dust for the bright and shiny newer releases.
Any format may be admissible.

Your Clue: Sisters or brothers as a focus.

I'm defining this one as either primary or secondary focus that develops the relationship between the siblings- sisters, brothers, or brothers and sisters (adopted or step can count). For example, it can be a mystery, romance, or non-fiction, historical or contemporary so long as the sibling element is strong. I.E. Elinor and Marianne Dashwood, Jane and Cassandra Austen, Jane and Henry Austen, Fanny and William Price, or Fitzwilliam and Georgiana Darcy.

And yes, you know me, my response when you're not sure is go with your gut if your book qualifies. Also, I get that you might be unsure how much the focus is on the siblings until you actually start reading. If it turns out that there wasn't much focus on the sisters or brothers, just keep reading. No worries. This is meant for fun and to get books dusted off your shelf so I'm good with wide interpretations of the rules. LOL

If you're game, leave a comment with your choice by Sept 1st and then begin reading after the 1st.
As you read or when you complete your read, stop back by and update everyone.
If you run into something in your book that you want to discuss or ask about, sure thing, leave a comment so we can hash it out with you.

message 2: by Kirk (last edited Aug 07, 2018 01:25AM) (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 789 comments Georgiana's Folly
Georgiana's Folly A Pride & Prejudice Variation Novella (Wickham Coin, #1) by Renata McMann

message 3: by Sophia (new)

Good one, Kirk!

Hmm, still thinking. I've got a couple that will probably meet the clue, but not sure which I'll pick at this point: Emma and Elizabeth by Ann Mychal, Sass and Serendipity by Jennifer Ziegler, or Jane and Lizzy by Katherine Reay.
I'll get it narrowed down before the first hopefully. :)

message 4: by Kirk (last edited Aug 07, 2018 07:44AM) (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 789 comments Sophia wrote: "Good one, Kirk!

Hmm, still thinking. I've got a couple that will probably meet the clue, but not sure which I'll pick at this point: Emma and Elizabeth by Ann Mychal, Sass and Serendipity by Jenni..."

I've read two out of three listed above. When I first read your list, I thought I read liked Emma and Elizabeth much more. Turns out I gave them the same rating, although E and E is a much easier read topic wise. And the irony of my asking for Andrew Davis to write the screen play for the The Watson's... hopefully he'll treat Sanditon well! I think I really enjoyed E and E's sequel, Brinshore, but it was about E and E's daughters.
I'll have to check out Sass and Serendipity.

message 5: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 201 comments Sophia wrote: "Good one, Kirk!

Hmm, still thinking. I've got a couple that will probably meet the clue, but not sure which I'll pick at this point: Emma and Elizabeth by Ann Mychal, Sass and Serendipity by Jenni..."

I can recommend Emma and Elizabeth Sophia. I enjoyed it very much.

message 6: by Sophia (new)

Thank you both! Good to get your input to help me narrow down the list.

message 7: by J. W. (last edited Aug 08, 2018 06:06AM) (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 1376 comments In my 'Someone Else Pick' for August I chose Pamela Lynne's books Dearest Friends: A Jane Austen Inspired Novel [which by the way is $0.99] and
Family Portraits: A Dearest Friends Continuation.

Edit: I lost half of my post... WTC [what the crap???]

For my September Scavenger pick... I thought I would read her next book Sketching Character which is Elizabeth dealing with Lydia's problem and was published Sept 25, 2015. I hope that works... as it takes 3-books off my shelf.

message 8: by Marlene (new)

Marlene | 307 comments Sophia wrote: "Sass and Serendipity by Jennifer Ziegler"

Thanks for a lead on a YA JAFF author whose last name begins with Z!

message 9: by Sophia (new)

@Jeanne Totally works and great idea.

@Marlene Hey, no problem! Glad to help. :)

message 10: by Ahnya (new)

Ahnya Well, this is going to be a tough one. I do have Sass and Serendipity and have not read it yet. I will have to take a look at my other books.

message 11: by Anji (last edited Aug 26, 2018 01:40AM) (new)

Anji | 291 comments I've been puzzling over the humungous spreadsheet that is my TBR List for something to read for this challenge and drawing a blank. Until I came across the three books published in the Leaving Bennet Behind series: Chosen, Cherished and Pursued by Sarah Johnson. According to the aforementioned spreadsheet, I've read the first, not long after publication in 2014, but I don't remember much about it and haven't read the other two at all, so I'm setting myself the task of reading all three, starting as soon as I've finished my August Someone Pick. May not get them all read in September, but hopefully will do so before the end of the year.

message 12: by J. W. (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 1376 comments Great plan Anji... I have those on my list to read also. Maybe I will get to them one day too. Hope you like them.

message 13: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 789 comments Kirk wrote: "Georgiana's Folly
Georgiana's Folly A Pride & Prejudice Variation Novella (Wickham Coin, #1) by Renata McMann"

4.5!!! Some aspects of the plot were a bit questionable in retrospect...but I certainly didn't care when I reading and enjoying the ever increasing pace of the story. Perhaps, in light of the theme, it might have helped to have more of Georgiana's thoughts...and less of her brother's towards a certain Miss Bennet. :)

message 14: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 86 comments I think I began on this early lol. been reading loving elizabeth series. where Elizabeth has an elder brother

message 15: by Sophia (new)

That's okay. Shows your excitement in your book, Patricia. :)

What a fun premise with her having a brother.

message 16: by Sophia (new)

Kirk wrote: "Kirk wrote: "Georgiana's Folly
Georgiana's Folly A Pride & Prejudice Variation Novella (Wickham Coin, #1) by Renata McMann"
4.5!!! Some aspects of the plot were a bit questionable in retrospect...but I certainly..."

LOL! With that title I'd expect it to be more about Georgiana, too, Kirk. Glad you enjoyed it.

message 17: by Kirk (last edited Aug 31, 2018 02:18PM) (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 789 comments Sophia wrote: "Kirk wrote: "Kirk wrote: "Georgiana's Folly
4.5!!! Some aspects of the plot were a bit questionable in retrospect...bu..."

Yes! They went with the teenage sullen Georgiana abit too much. At least a certain sweet character( worth at least a 1.25 in extra rating points) helped to break some of the ice!

message 18: by Sophia (new)

Kirk wrote: "Sophia wrote: "Kirk wrote: "Kirk wrote: "Georgiana's Folly
4.5!!! Some aspects of the plot were a bit questionable in ..."

I've read a few like that and, though it is probably more accurate than I want to believe, a sullen Georgie isn't my favorite thing for her character. Good that you had a counter-balance in another character to off set it.

message 19: by Patricia (new)

Patricia | 86 comments Sophia wrote: "That's okay. Shows your excitement in your book, Patricia. :)

What a fun premise with her having a brother."

in rereading the first post while mine does has theme with brother and sisters mine were released this year >.<

message 20: by Sophia (new)

Patricia wrote: "Sophia wrote: "That's okay. Shows your excitement in your book, Patricia. :)

What a fun premise with her having a brother."

in rereading the first post while mine does has theme with brother and ..."

Oops! You're a regular rebel there. Haha! No worries! At least you had a good time with this series.

message 21: by Anji (new)

Anji | 291 comments Well, my enforced bed rest has meant that, once my brain could focus on a longer work, I've already finished Chosen by Sarah Johnson and started on Cherished. I was surprised by how little I remembered of the plot, though there were some points that were familiar. So it seemed almost as though it was a new read! Could only give it ⭐️⭐️⭐️✨, as it really needed a good line editor to go through it. There were a number of typos, inappropriate or missing apostrophes (something that annoys me intensely for some reason) and some non-Regency word use. The plot itself was fine, and I'm looking forward to finding out what happens to the characters in the subsequent books.

message 22: by Anji (new)

Anji | 291 comments Only three days into September and I've finished all three of the books I chose for this month's challenge: Chosen, Cherished and Pursued by Sarah Johnson.

I quite enjoyed the actual storylines in all of them but the caveat for the first, which I mentioned above, applies to all three, I'm afraid. There are some interesting new characters, the best of whom is the Colonel's older brother, here named Alexander (Alex for short) and given the title Viscount Primrose. His parents are rather lovely too, and for once they're not the Earl and Countess of Matlock!

Each book has its own, more or less, self-contained main plot (the love story of a particular couple) but there are plotlines that continue over into the second and third volumes and haven't been tied up as yet. It was rather annoying that, at the end of the third one, there's a large 'To Be Continued'! That book was published over three years ago now. Wish I'd known that beforehand. Ah well! Has anyone heard if the author is planning on continuing the series?

As there's still loads of September left and I've just been lucky enough to win a copy of In Good Conscience by Cat Gardiner, I'm going back to the beginning of the series and reading them all back-to-back.

message 23: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 789 comments Anji wrote: "Only three days into September and I've finished all three of the books I chose for this month's challenge: Chosen, Cherished and Pursued by [author:..."
Great! Congrats on your book prize win.

message 24: by Sophia (new)

Anji wrote: "Only three days into September and I've finished all three of the books I chose for this month's challenge: Chosen, Cherished and Pursued by [author:..."

Wow! Great job, Anji through the annoying typos and the 'to be continued'.
Enjoy your latest book win. I can't wait to read that one.

message 25: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) I don't often get around to joining these challenges, but I've been longing to read Sherwood Smith's take on my favorite sib, Sophy Croft. So it's Fair Winds and Homeward Sail: Sophy Croft's Story for me!

message 26: by Sophia (new)

Abigail wrote: "I don't often get around to joining these challenges, but I've been longing to read Sherwood Smith's take on my favorite sib, Sophy Croft. So it's [book:Fair Winds and Homeward Sail: Sophy Croft's ..."

Lucky you! I have a feeling it will be fabulous. It is one of the few Sherwood Smith's that I haven't read yet. I think I've been saving it like a treat. :)

message 27: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) Me too. I love her books!

message 28: by J. W. (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 1376 comments Oh, a story on Sophy Croft... excellent. I've wanted to read that. Hope you like it.

message 29: by Sophia (new)

Alright, I settled on Emma and Elizabeth by Ann Mychal for my sibling book. Whew! Thought it would take me a while to get to it and then be able to read it. I devoured it in one sitting. I was enchanted. It was perfect for the theme because the sisters and even the other sisters and their relationships play a strong role in this story. Totally recommend it for those who want a The Watsons romance in a story that felt true to historical setting and style. :)

message 30: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 789 comments Sophia wrote: "Alright, I settled on Emma and Elizabeth by Ann Mychal for my sibling book. Whew! Thought it would take me a while to get to it and then be able to read it. I devoured it in one sit..."
Yea! On to Brinshore?

message 31: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 789 comments Abigail wrote: "I don't often get around to joining these challenges, but I've been longing to read Sherwood Smith's take on my favorite sib, Sophy Croft. So it's [book:Fair Winds and Homeward Sail: Sophy Croft's ..."
Happy Sailing!!

message 32: by Anji (new)

Anji | 291 comments Sophia wrote: "Alright, I settled on Emma and Elizabeth by Ann Mychal for my sibling book. Whew! Thought it would take me a while to get to it and then be able to read it. I devoured it in one sit..."

I loved that book! Must get around to reading Brinshore, about their daughters, one of these days.

message 33: by Anji (new)

Anji | 291 comments Abigail wrote: "I don't often get around to joining these challenges, but I've been longing to read Sherwood Smith's take on my favorite sib, Sophy Croft. So it's [book:Fair Winds and Homeward Sail: Sophy Croft's ..."

Wish I'd thought of that one, Abigail. Might have been a bit more satisfying that what I did pick.

message 34: by Sophia (new)

Kirk wrote: "Sophia wrote: "Alright, I settled on Emma and Elizabeth by Ann Mychal for my sibling book. Whew! Thought it would take me a while to get to it and then be able to read it. I devoure..."

Hopefully by the end of the year I can fit it in. :)

message 35: by Sophia (new)

Anji wrote: "Sophia wrote: "Alright, I settled on Emma and Elizabeth by Ann Mychal for my sibling book. Whew! Thought it would take me a while to get to it and then be able to read it. I devoure..."

Yes, I'm hoping to finish up the next generation. :)

message 36: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 201 comments Sophia wrote: "Alright, I settled on Emma and Elizabeth by Ann Mychal for my sibling book. Whew! Thought it would take me a while to get to it and then be able to read it. I devoured it in one sit..."

I loved this book Sophia and the follow on was really good too.

message 37: by Sophia (new)

Teresa wrote: "Sophia wrote: "Alright, I settled on Emma and Elizabeth by Ann Mychal for my sibling book. Whew! Thought it would take me a while to get to it and then be able to read it. I devoure..."

Yay, Teresa! I love hearing that others loved it, too. I definitely want to keep reading with Brinshore.

message 38: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) I finished Fair Winds and Homeward Sail: Sophy Croft's Story by Sherwood Smith. It was a bit disappointing to me, sadly, as I have loved her other Austenesque and Napoleonic-era writings. I did enjoy it, just not as much as I had hoped.

message 39: by Sophia (new)

Abigail wrote: "I finished Fair Winds and Homeward Sail: Sophy Croft's Story by Sherwood Smith. It was a bit disappointing to me, sadly, as I have loved her other Austenesque and Napoleonic-era wri..."

:) Nicely accomplished on the challenge, Abigail!

message 40: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 789 comments Abigail wrote: "I finished Fair Winds and Homeward Sail: Sophy Croft's Story by Sherwood Smith. It was a bit disappointing to me, sadly, as I have loved her other Austenesque and Napoleonic-era wri..."
Congrats on finishing!

message 41: by J. W. (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 1376 comments Yay, Abigail, you finished. I haven't even started my read yet. I need to move a few things out of the way first.

message 42: by Abigail (last edited Sep 10, 2018 09:06AM) (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) Thank you, everyone! Always good when it's fun to do one's duty. . . And now I have all the group reads starting on the 15th of the month to tackle! I should probably cut down on the number of groups I participate in, but they have certainly been a lifeline through the solitudes of my recovery.

message 43: by Sophia (new)

Abigail wrote: "Thank you, everyone! Always good when it's fun to do one's duty. . . And now I have all the group reads starting on the 15th of the month to tackle! I should probably cut down on the number of grou..."

I love that you have the connection that helps give you the umph when you're feeling solitary. I tried a real life book club a few times and for a few reasons, both actually put me off reading so I'm glad there are some good ones here on GoodReads and even Facebook if I want.

message 44: by J. W. (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 1376 comments I forgot to report back that I finished my September Dusty-Shelf pick. In fact, I read it twice. The first time I awarded 4.5 stars but took too long in writing my review and forgot several key points. Then sometime later, I read it again and decided to award 5-stars.

message 45: by Sophia (new)

Yay, Jeanne! :)

message 46: by Kirk (new)

Kirk (goodreadscomkirkc) | 789 comments J. W. wrote: "I forgot to report back that I finished my September Dusty-Shelf pick. In fact, I read it twice. The first time I awarded 4.5 stars but took too long in writing my review and forgot several key poi..."
Great, congrats!

message 47: by J. W. (new)

J. W. Garrett (jeannewallacegarrett) | 1376 comments Thanks, guys.