What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Heart of the Hunter: Customs and Myths of the African Bushman
This topic is about The Heart of the Hunter
SOLVED: Non-Fiction > SOLVED. Memoir written by man - westerners in colonial Africa [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kathy (hannahhelpus) | 2 comments The book is a memoir by a man (probably English) in Africa during the early 1900s. At one point he describes a camp scene with some other westerners where they posed the question, "If you could be any animal, what would you be?" And one guy (probably the knowledgeable guide) says he would be a bird, and explains why. As I recall it, the author was quite taken with the guide's answer. I've tried finding the passage in books by Laurens Van der Post, with no luck. But the book has that same sort of style, if it's not Van der Post. I think this might be the same author who described some scenes with deadly giant mambas in one of his books; maybe this same book, maybe not. Or maybe that's a different author. I read several similar memoirs at the time, maybe ten years ago now. Thank you, everyone!

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
Kjes ~~
You can bump your thread every thirty days or so to move it back to the top of the folder. More eyes will see your thread, and someone must know it!

Kathy (hannahhelpus) | 2 comments Thank you so much for letting me know this. I should have posted earlier that the answer is: Van der Post, Laurens. The Heart of the Hunter. It was found for me by a wonderful service: AskALibrarian@oclc.org

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37562 comments Mod
Great thanks for letting us know, Kjes.