Play Book Tag discussion

Goodbye to Berlin
This topic is about Goodbye to Berlin
Archive: Other Books > Goodbye to Berlin | Christopher Isherwood | 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Idit | 1028 comments last book in this catch-up...
Goodbye to Berlin

Christopher Isherwood, a british author, spent some of his twenties in Berlin, in the early 30s. He was there before and during the time Hitler took charge
This small book loosely connects few stories from his time there. He explain at the start that it is a work of fiction, but I assume it’s at the very least semi-autobiographical.
I really enjoyed this book. It is unassuming, unimportant, but sensitive and full of humour.
Even though he focuses on small and random characters, slowly you can feel Nazi germany as a shadow that grow stronger in the background.

I love how he describes the people around him. You get a full picture and see them with their weaknesses, but he is very accepting and you end up being fond of most of them, flaws and all.

Berlin is an important character. He sees the different layers of it. Places, people.

It is a good picture of a moment in time. Berlin just before things got really bad

Diane Zwang | 485 comments I like your review. I also read the book and gave it 4 stars.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Good review. This sounds like a really good book.

message 4: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2323 comments I read this in my teens after I watched ‘Cabaret’ and realised it was adapted from this book. But I don’t remember it well - probably time for a re-read. Thanks for the reminder!

message 5: by Karin (last edited Aug 08, 2018 02:17PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karin | 7002 comments You liked it better than I did. I read it for a book discussion last year. It did get 3 stars from me, though.

Idit | 1028 comments Kate - for me it’s time to rewatch Cabaret (I can’t remember a thing, and the little I do, mixes up in my memory with Victor-Victoria(?))

Karin, I can see how you’d rate this 3 stars.
I did enjoy it very much, especially his writing style and his interaction with the characters.
It’s not a big or important book by any means, but the juxtapose of the day-to-day with the historical events that he very gently hints to, was strong.

Almost with every character that was introduced, the lightness was overshadowed by the tragedy that they most probably experienced in the next decade