2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE - General > YA reads

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 330 comments Hello Everyone! This thread is to discuss or recommend any YA books!

message 2: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 297 comments Hey, Satin! What are your favorite YA books?

message 3: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 330 comments Ooh! That’s a hard one! I really love a lot. I feel like the Hunger Games were amazing,not sure if this counts but Harry Potter is an all time favorite. I loved so MaNY! I feel like I will never be able to pick a favorite. I’ve loved a lot of the ones I’ve read though. What’s your favorite?

message 4: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 297 comments Satin wrote: "Ooh! That’s a hard one! I really love a lot. I feel like the Hunger Games were amazing,not sure if this counts but Harry Potter is an all time favorite. I loved so MaNY! I feel like I will never be..."

The Harry Potter series is great for sure. I like a lot of the older YA books to be honest, like Nancy Drew if that counts lol Though maybe that's more middle grade …

I really loved The Pretty Little Liars series. Mystery and drama are so much fun!

message 5: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 330 comments Oh yeah I agree! Nancy Drew is truly a work of art lol. I want to read the PLL series since I’ve watched the show. What’s your favorite book to movie adaptation from YA

message 6: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 297 comments Satin wrote: "Oh yeah I agree! Nancy Drew is truly a work of art lol. I want to read the PLL series since I’ve watched the show. What’s your favorite book to movie adaptation from YA"

Definitely Harry Potter! How about yours?! Though I thought the first Divergent movie was pretty good too.

message 7: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Morrison | 389 comments Satin wrote: "Oh yeah I agree! Nancy Drew is truly a work of art lol. I want to read the PLL series since I’ve watched the show. What’s your favorite book to movie adaptation from YA"

I read a lot of the gossip girl novels and even though I didn't think that the show followed the books very well I was obsessed with the show.

message 8: by Danni (new)

Danni lynn ❤ (danni_lynn88) | 4 comments dangerous girls abigail haas & save the date by morgan matson

message 9: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 330 comments I loved the Harry Potter book to movie adaptations( obviously) And I do think the Hunger Games were done pretty well in the movies. I’m excited to see the Darkest Minds movie when it comes out ( I don’t know when it comes out lol). I am currently reading the book and actually I am enjoying it:) I also can’t wait for the movies of The Hate You Give, To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before, and although this ones not really a book to movie adaptation, The crimes of Grindelwald which is an installment to the Fantastic Beasts series. Has anyone found any authors that are new to them that they love in the YA genre?

message 10: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Satin wrote: "I loved the Harry Potter book to movie adaptations( obviously) And I do think the Hunger Games were done pretty well in the movies. I’m excited to see the Darkest Minds movie when it comes out ( I ..."

Angela Jr. and I are reading The Darkest Minds as well. We've asked Mary Pat to set up a discussion/buddy read thread if you'd like to join?

message 11: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 330 comments Of course! I’d love that! I’m really liking the book.

message 12: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) 👍🏻
Me too, but have only started yesterday and haven’t had time to read yet today. How far are you?

message 13: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 330 comments I’ve actually not read the book in a couple of days, but this buddy read will motivate me!!

message 14: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Cool!

message 15: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 330 comments What’s everyone’s least favorite YA of the month so far?

message 16: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 330 comments I’ve been wanting to try out the selection series! I would recommend the Ember in the Ashes series too. I think they’re very well written. Has anyone read anything by Morgan Matson?

message 17: by Angela Jr. (new)

Angela Jr. I've read two of her books, save the sate and since you've been gone. I enjoyed both of them a lot - i read the second one in one sitting because i couldn't put it down :)

message 18: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 138 comments I need help with a recommendation. My nephew is turning 18 and he used to be an avid reader, but no so much the last few years. I’d like to get him a book for his birthday. Any recommendations for this young man??

message 19: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 330 comments Ummmm.... What genres does he like? Are there any movies he watched that he has enjoyed?

message 20: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 138 comments He used to enjoy fantasy books such as Narnia and he loves Star Wars and action movies.

message 21: by Angela Jr. (new)

Angela Jr. I can recommend the martian by andy weir, ready player one by ernest cline, red rising by pierce brown or the knife of never letting go by patrick ness!

message 22: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 138 comments I think Ready Player One is a great idea! Thanks!! I’m going to go with that one and for Christmas, I’ll get him the film!

message 23: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 330 comments I agree with Ready Player one as well. I would also recommend War Cross by Marie lu. I’ve heard great things about it. It’s a series and I believe the second book will come out until Christmas ( don’t quote me on that).

message 24: by Angela Jr. (new)

Angela Jr. Melissa wrote: "I think Ready Player One is a great idea! Thanks!! I’m going to go with that one and for Christmas, I’ll get him the film!"

Just a word of caution - the film is a disaster 🙈 it's a good enough movie on its own, but it did a terrible job of adapting the book. There is virtually none of the original story in it, only some very very broad strokes...

message 25: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 330 comments Really? I had high hopes for the movie😞 I’m reading the book this month too.

message 26: by Danni (new)

Danni lynn ❤ (danni_lynn88) | 4 comments im about to start the lies they tell by gillian french it looks good

message 27: by Angela Jr. (new)

Angela Jr. Me too, but sadly the movie was disappointing 😅 The way they adapted the halliday archives is so much cooler than in the book though! I loved that part.

I'm excited to see what you think about the book! I've read it twice so far and both times, even though obviously i already knew what was going to happen the second time, i could not put it down. It has a strange addictive quality to it. It's one of my favourites :)

message 28: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 330 comments Yay! That makes me so much more interested in the book. Have you read Warcross by Marie Lu?

message 29: by Angela Jr. (new)

Angela Jr. Nope, but it's sitting on my nightstand 🤗

message 30: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (nikki_framke) | 276 comments I just finished reading Sally Green's newest book, The Smoke Thieves. Amazing and very intricately woven!

message 31: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Satin wrote: "Really? I had high hopes for the movie😞 I’m reading the book this month too."

The movie is great as long as you're not expecting it to be like the book. Just forget the book and go see "a movie".

message 32: by Satin (new)

Satin (satin_ss) | 330 comments I agree. I should think of it like that. I’m on the hold list from my library for the book. #BookProblems lol.