Golden Age of Hollywood Book Club discussion

Archives > Heat Wave!

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (last edited Aug 06, 2018 04:55PM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) | 2484 comments Mod
This week ...with this blasted heat wave ...blighting my metropolis, I'm thinking of 'sweaty' movies..

'Cool Hand Luke'

'Nevada Smith'

'Alien'

'Rocky'

Others?

message 2: by Doubledf99.99 (new)

Doubledf99.99 | 256 comments The Professionals.
Platoon

message 3: by Doubledf99.99 (new)

Doubledf99.99 | 256 comments Doubledf99.99 wrote: "The Professionals.
Platoon"

In The Heat Of The Night.

message 4: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (new)

Platoon? Way too recent

Yep, Poitier made lots of sweat. 'The Defiant Ones' as well.

'Report to the Commissioner'. Yaphet Kotto and Michael Moriarty, I love that flick.

message 5: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 2288 comments It's a little harder to think of 'sweaty' movies in cold weather, but one certainly is 'Bridge on the River Kwai.' Who can forget when Nicholson and his officers are locked in those sweat boxes? Really, his men had the worse situation because they were packed in there while he was alone.

Many war movies, especially in the Pacific, reek of sweat.

message 6: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (new)

Yes like 'Hell in the Pacific' mentioned recently in our war movies chat.

'Papillon' also mighty rank.

Last summer sucked. Worst humidity in years. I'll take 40 below zero rather than than idiotic New York humidity. I've been in desert climates which are more pleasant.

message 7: by Jill (last edited Dec 12, 2019 02:50PM) (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) | 2531 comments Apocalypse Now. Brando look especially sweaty. He also looked sweaty in Streetcar Named Desire.

message 8: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 2288 comments I suspect that was to raise an awareness of the sex angle. :-)

Interesting that you mentioned Apocalypse Now. I went to a parade the year it came out, and right in the middle a string of helicopters came in flying low just as they did in the movie. You could almost see the mood in the crowd change from happy to nervous.

message 9: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) | 2531 comments Were they playing Wagner????? Did you smell napalm? Yikes!!

message 10: by Doubledf99.99 (new)

Doubledf99.99 | 256 comments I know it's pretty recent, Fury Road, had lot's of sweat.

message 11: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 2288 comments Jill wrote: "Were they playing Wagner????? Did you smell napalm? Yikes!!"

They did play a bit of Wagner, but no napalm, thank goodness. It was eerie.