Reading the 20th Century discussion

Favourite Authors > Angela Thirkell

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Judy (new)

Judy (wwwgoodreadscomprofilejudyg) | 4537 comments Mod
We've just been having some talk about Angela Thirkell in the "what are you reading at the moment?" thread, so here is her own thread.

Angela Thirkell

Thirkell had an amazing life - I posted a link to an article about her in the other thread:

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...

I will also copy over a few posts from there for any readers finding this thread in future! I'm currently reading and very much enjoying Wild Strawberries, the second in her long Barsetshire series, which she set in the fictional county created by Anthony Trollope It's very funny, with a wonderfully eccentric family living in a country house.

message 2: by Judy (new)

Haaze posted this over in the other thread, with a beautiful portrait of Thirkell:

Haaze wrote: "A nice article by Hermione Lee about Angela Thirkell and her books in the New Yorker (not sure if there is a barrier or not)

http://archives.newyorker.com/?i=1996...

Love this 1914 portrait of her: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...

message 3: by Haaze (new)

Haaze | 146 comments Just decorating... :)

message 4: by Judy (new)

Still copying over from the other thread ... Elizabeth wrote:

"There is no doubt I'm somewhat drawn to these because of the setting, which I had to assume was that mostly rural setting (village-like?) with a cathedral that was Trollope's. Depending on the day, either his Barsetshire novels or his Palliser novels are my absolute favorites. I haven't added Thirkell yet, because I'm feeling overwhelmed with choices just now. On the other hand, you all may convince me! "

Judy replied:
"Elizabeth if you do try her, just a word of warning about the beginning of the first of her Barsetshire books, High Rising - I read this with another group a while back and a few of us didn't really like the start, but found it got better and better and ever funnier as it went on! "

Lady Clementina wrote:

"I've read one book by her brother Denis Mackail as well which was also great fun. Romance to the Rescue. They're Kipling's nephew and niece.

There is Greenery Street I think in Persephone books. I actually read Mackail before I read Thirkell because I had seen him mentioned in a PG Wodehouse book. Wodehouse admired his writing and that intrigued me :)"

message 5: by Judy (new)

Lady C, I'm very interested to hear that P.G. Wodehouse liked Denis Mackail, because I am noticing quite a few similarities between his style and Thirkell's. I will definitely need to read something by him too.

They were an amazingly talented family, since, as well as being related to Kipling and artist Edward Burne-Jones Thirkell was also the mother of author Colin McInnes.

message 6: by Judy (last edited Aug 06, 2018 02:20PM) (new)

Haaze wrote: "Just decorating... :) "

Thank you, Haaze, I couldn't see how to copy the picture. :)

I have tried to post the lovely cover for the edition of Wild Strawberries that I'm reading, but for some reason the big image won't post, although I have posted them in the past using the same method, so here is a small version! Wild Strawberries by Angela Thirkell

message 7: by Judy (new)

On reading the Thirkell Barsetshire books in order - I'm not sure how important this really is, since many of them seem to have completely different characters anyway. Does anyone have a view on this?

But I do want to read the third book next, The Demon in the House, because it features Tony Morland, the hilariously annoying young boy from the first book in the series, High Rising.

I was irritated to see that 'Demon' seems to be out of print, not on Kindle and second-hand copies are expensive, but I've now discovered that my local library system has one large-print copy, so am hoping to get hold of that!

message 8: by Tania (new)

Tania | 990 comments It isn't important to read them in order, the characters do recur though, so you may know one or two plot points about main characters who become minor characters in later books.

message 9: by Haaze (last edited Aug 06, 2018 03:42PM) (new)

Haaze | 146 comments Judy wrote: "Haaze wrote: "Just decorating... :) "

Thank you, Haaze, I couldn't see how to copy the picture. :)

I have tried to post the lovely cover for the edition of Wild Strawberries that ..."

Decorating!

message 10: by Tania (new)

Tania | 990 comments I have read lots of her books and prefer the earlier ones which I agree read like a less absurd P G Wodehouse. I enjoyed 'Demon, which I also had to read in large print format from the library, and the next book, Summer Half, which was very jolly hockeysticks, was another favourite.
P G Wodehouse was a great friend and admirer of her brother, Denis Mackail. I've read one of his books, Greenery Street,, which is a charming story of the first year of marriage of a young couple. I loved this and gave it 5*. I would love to read more of his but they are not easily available. At least Virago are bringing his sister back.

message 11: by Judy (new)

Tania wrote: "It isn't important to read them in order, the characters do recur though, so you may know one or two plot points about main characters who become minor characters in later books."

Thanks, Tania, that's good to know, since it looks as if some of the books are much easier to get hold of than others. I think I will try to read them in order as much as possible, but not worry too much if I have to jump out of order on occasion.

message 12: by Judy (new)

Haaze, many thanks for posting that Wild Strawberries cover. I think Virago have come up with some lovely covers for their Thirkell reissues.

message 13: by Judy (new)

I'm now halfway through Wild Strawberries and pretty sure I know what is going to happen in romantic terms, but I will still enjoy seeing how we get there.

Elizabeth (Alaska) Judy wrote: "I'm now halfway through Wild Strawberries and pretty sure I know what is going to happen in romantic terms, but I will still enjoy seeing how we get there."

This is what I always think about Anthony Trollope. He doesn't do surprise/twist endings, but it's fascinating how he gets there.

message 15: by Judy (new)

I enjoyed Wild Strawberries and have now picked up Demon in the House, which is all about Tony!

message 16: by Judy (new)

I’ve started Demon in the House - short stories about Tony Morland, the infuriating young boy from the first book. Fun so far.

message 17: by Susan (new)

Susan | 9866 comments Mod
I have never read her. Where is a good place to start?

message 18: by Judy (new)

I have only read a couple by her so far, and would say the first in her Barsetshire series, High Rising, is a good place to start. It starts slowly, but then becomes increasingly hilarious.

message 19: by Judy (last edited Oct 28, 2018 09:01AM) (new)

Must admit I'm finding Demon in the House a bit on one note, though I'm not all that far in. I think Tony is fun as a minor character, but I suspect this book may be slightly too much of a good thing!

message 20: by Judy (new)

Demon in the House has now improved, with other characters coming in more. It is very light and charming.

message 21: by Tania (new)

Tania | 990 comments In June there will be a biography on Thirkell coming out, I'd love to get my hands on this one. Angela Thirkell: A Writer's Life

message 22: by Judy (new)

Tania wrote: "In June there will be a biography on Thirkell coming out, I'd love to get my hands on this one. Angela Thirkell: A Writer's Life"

That sounds good, Tania. Thank you for mentioning it.

message 23: by Tania (new)

Tania | 990 comments Doesn't it. Such an interesting family.