Albany Public Library discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2018 Summer Reading Progarm > SRP 2018 Week 7: Written by a Female Author

Comments Showing 1-38 of 38 (38 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra | 80 comments Mod
Monday, August 6 - Saturday, August 11, 2018

Welcome to Week 7 of APL's Summer Reading Program!

If you have not registered yet for the program, please look back on our discussion titled "2018 Summer Reading Program Information!" to register and get all the information needed!

If you have registered, read on!

This week’s theme focuses on female authors.

“Just like any woman… we weave our stories out of our bodies. Some of us through our children, or our art; some do it just by living. It's all the same.” - Francesca Lia Block

Many early female authors published anonymously so readers wouldn’t know it was a woman whose words they were reading. Enjoy the stories women authors have woven during summer reading this week. Below are some of our suggestions, but be sure to include reviews for books you have read that other summer readers might be interested in.

Remember to comment if you have finished a book this week, including the title and author. You can also stop into your local APL branch and pick up a BINGO card, if you prefer pen and paper to screen and keyboard!

White Houses by Amy Bloom
Weight of Ink by Rachel Kadish
Let’s Pretend This Didn’t Happen by Jenny Lawson
One Perfect Lie by Lisa Scottoline
The Whole Town’s Talking by Fannie Flagg
Marrow: A Love Story by Elizabeth Lesser
Without Merit by Colleen Hoover
Good Daughter by Karin Slaughter
Detective Murdoch (series) by Maureen Jennings
Tony Hill & Carol Jordan (series) by Val McDermid
The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood

message 2: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (readersbeadvised) | 78 comments Mod
I definitely have some books written by womMudbounden on the docket but I want to plug one of the strongest (in my opinion) female authors whose characters ooze the female experience: Hillary Jordan specifically Mudbound and When She Woke (which is also a Scarlet Letter retelling!)

message 3: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 44 comments traveling this week, limited access. finished the last empress -sergio de la pava. odd book, parts very compelling

message 4: by Jaybee (new)

Jaybee | 35 comments I'm back from vacation and unfortunately didn't read as much as I'd hoped to. Two of my books are by female authors though.

I read Orange is the New Black by Piper Kerman, Whisper Me This by Kerry Anne King, and Soho Dead by Greg Keen.

message 5: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra C | 135 comments Mod
I have added all the read books above. Awesome job so far, everyone!

message 6: by Michelle (new)

Michelle I've been on vacation the last 2 weeks and was able to get some good reading done:

All We Ever Wanted - Emily Giffin
The Good Neighbor - AJ Banner
My Horizontal Life- Chelsea Handler
What She Knew - Gilly MacMillan

message 7: by Alexandra (last edited Aug 07, 2018 03:42PM) (new)

Michelle wrote: "I've been on vacation the last 2 weeks and was able to get some good reading done:

@Michelle, I have added your read books (and I'm currently reading All We Ever Wanted too!)

message 8: by Susan (new)

Susan (susande) | 185 comments Read Mrs. Mike which I somehow had never heard of before but now learn has almost a cult-like following. Author Peggy Orenstein even wrote and article for Oprah's magazine on it!

Not for you if dated or problematic depictions of women, marriage and Indian/mixed race people make you queasy, but think the attitudes were quite progressive for the time it was written.

A story of a young woman with indomitable spirit.

It was written by a husband/wife team, but someone only the man's name is showing up in many of the mentions of the book. Grrr.

message 9: by Kathleen (last edited Aug 09, 2018 10:24AM) (new)

Kathleen | 54 comments I finally finished Space Opera! A wild ride all the way to the big finish, very fitting for this year's "rock" theme. I also listened to an audiobook of Sherlock Holmes: The Blue Carbuncle, but I can't find a listing for the audio version on Goodreads.
Also just finished the graphic novel of Janet and Alex Evanovichs' "Troublemaker!" Lots of humor and voodoo-centric action as our heroes save their friend from evil cultists.

message 10: by Meredith (new)

Meredith | 11 comments Two female author books for me this week. I completed "Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine" by Gail Honeyman and "Give Me Your Hand" by Megan Abbott. I really enjoyed both of these!

message 11: by Emily (new)

Emily (slushies) | 16 comments I read "It Devours" by Joseph Fink and Jeffrey Cranor
and Sandman #10 "The Wake" by Neil Gaiman

It Devours was a fun look at some of the characters and community of the podcast Welcome to Nightvale. I loved this book and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys the podcast or just likes weird things in general!

I am glad and sad to have finally finished the Sandman series.Now, I will have to read the prequels, so I can still enjoy the artwork and engaging storytelling!

message 12: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 44 comments Black Chamber -S.M. Stirling one of my favorite authors. Alternate WW1 tale, very good.

message 13: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 9 comments This week I finished reading The Last Time I Lied by Riley Sager. Fun, kept me guessing till the very end.

message 14: by Geri (new)

Geri | 3 comments Just finished “ Jello Girls” and highly recommend. It’s the story of a family and a era that Jello helped define. The author is a descendent of the individual who created the Jello brand. She is passionately seeking insights into her heritage and her family history and the silence of female voices in that history.

message 15: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Rescigno (foranimals) | 24 comments I read The Time Traveler's Wife but I am actually more interested in seeing the movie. I am curious to see the similarities and differences.

Ready for my next adventure!

message 16: by ED (last edited Aug 12, 2018 07:19AM) (new)

ED | 13 comments I read Bobos in Paradise: The New Upper Class and How They Got There by David Brooks. It is a look back at the creation of the Baby Boomer upper class and how it has shaped America today. And, the Gen X'er upper class is following suit.

message 17: by Katie (new)

Katie Kurtessis | 10 comments This week I read North by Scott and Jenny Jurek, and The Incendiaries by RO Kwan.

message 18: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 9 comments This week I read Any Man by Amber Tamblyn. Brutal and hard-hitting novel about rape culture and how our media treats victims. Very interesting in that Tamblyn writes of a female perpetrator, and the novel follows five men who were sexually assaulted by her and how they cope, how they are treated by society and such. Heavy yet great read.

message 19: by Paul (last edited Aug 12, 2018 11:39AM) (new)

Paul R | 46 comments I missed detailing my reading for the previous week, so this is two weeks worth of reading that I've completed. I finally finished the New Zealand book (author & setting), Bride in Trouble by Serenity Woods and am half way through the second in the series! It was an interesting read, suspenseful and fun. I read Lovestruck in Fortune's Bay and the included short story by Joslyn Westbrook. I finished Making over Maya by Michele de Winton, Call Me Irresistible by Susan Elizabeth Phillips, and A Dash of Destiny in Fortune's Bay and its short story by Jenni M Rose. I gather these are all female authors; I am finally fully in line with the week's emphasis.

message 20: by ED (last edited Aug 13, 2018 05:47AM) (new)

ED | 13 comments This Will Be My Undoing: Living at the Intersection of Black, Female, and Feminist in (White) America by Morgan Jerkins is an uncomfortable, startling, bare-bones dissection of the author's life through the often ignored lens of black womanhood in America. It's a controversial, and eviscerating narrative which needed to be told. I applaud Jerkins' courage in sharing her story.

message 21: by Diana (new)

Diana | 71 comments Still on a roll with books about horse racing--just finished Cajun Racing: From the Bush Tracks to the Triple Crown, which was a very interesting look at a regional subculture within an already-niche sport.

message 22: by Alissa Paige (new)

Alissa Paige | 6 comments Good morning! Over the weekend I finished "What Happened" by Hilary Clinton, "Persepolis" by Marjane Satrapi, and "The Daily Show (The Book): An Oral History."
Thanks!

message 23: by Cassandra (new)

Good morning! All of your books have been added.

Meredith, Emily, Jessica, Eva, and Alissa, you all have prizes waiting for you the next time you visit your local APL branch!

Emily, I have It Devours sitting on my shelf waiting to be read, so I guess I should get on it after your review.

message 24: by Anna (new)

Anna (ambiologist) | 8 comments Since last posting, I finishedNever Let Me Go which counts as a book by a person of color, although race doesn't play into it at all. I'm not sure I would have picked it up if I'd realized what it was about, and I'm of two minds about whether or not I liked it. At times it was sweet, at times interesting, and at times annoying or slow and definitely depressing. Don't read it if you want a happy ending. Then, I finished Turtles All the Way Down which I'm sticking in the bingo square of "a book that everybody but you has read" which is true in my work world where I saw a number of my students carting the book around. I liked it. From an NPR review, I had expected a much less "happy" ending, so was pleasantly surprised there. I mean, there isn't a miracle in which the characters go off an live in a castle with metaphorical rainbows and butterflies, but still, it's not a depressing ending.

message 25: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 54 comments I was finally on theme! I finished "Sleep No More," a book of short creepy tales by P. D. James.

message 26: by Cassandra (new)

Anna and Kathleen, your books have been added.

message 27: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (readersbeadvised) | 78 comments Mod
Just getting back from a short vacation and while I didn't get much reading in, I did enjoy right before I left Jacqueline Woodson's new picture book The Day You Begin and an edited anthology of nonfiction stories about sexual violence survivors called Things We Haven't Said: Sexual Violence Survivors Speak Out edited by Erin Moulton.

message 28: by Cassandra (new)

Alicia wrote: "Just getting back from a short vacation and while I didn't get much reading in, I did enjoy right before I left Jacqueline Woodson's new picture book The Day You Begin and an edited..."

Alicia, your books have been added. I hope you enjoyed your vacation!

message 29: by Alissa Paige (new)

Alissa Paige | 6 comments Just finished Persepolis 2: The Story of a Return
by Marjane Satrapi. I know we are past the graphic novel and woman author weeks, but please read Persepolis 1 and 2 to better understand the history of Iran, specifically from a woman's perspective.

message 30: by Cassandra (new)

Alissa Paige wrote: "Just finished Persepolis 2: The Story of a Return
by Marjane Satrapi. I know we are past the graphic novel and woman author weeks, but please read Persepolis 1 and 2 to better understand the histor..."

Alissa, I added your book. You can pick up your level 2 prize the next time you visit an APL branch.

I read both Persepolis books a year or so ago, and they are indeed great books. They gave me a new understanding of the history for that area.

message 31: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 44 comments Hull Metal Girls - Emily Skrutskie This YA author was new to me. A solid SciFi offering with typical YA themes.

message 32: by Cassandra (new)

Laurie wrote: "Hull Metal Girls - Emily Skrutskie This YA author was new to me. A solid SciFi offering with typical YA themes."

Laurie, your book has been added!

message 33: by Rich (new)

Rich Pearson-strain (richpearson-strain) | 35 comments For week 7 I read “The Obelisk Gate” by N.K. Jemisin. This was the sequel to “The Fifth Season” which blew me away, and the second book in the series doesn’t disappoint. I think part of why this series is so good is because it was written by a black woman, offering a unique take on the sci-fi/fantasy world dominated by white males. Highly recommend for those who like the genres.

message 34: by Alexandra (new)

@Rich I have added your book!

message 36: by Emily (new)

Emily Shoop | 15 comments The Distance Home
Great finish this week...I was so shocked by the wrap up but it was an amazing journey to read it.

Also finishedNightbird while away at my mother in laws house, as well as Life Management for Busy Women: Living Out God's Plan with Passion & Purpose - a fresh look at how to mother, pray and better my home.

message 37: by Cassandra (new)

Mirkat and Emily, thank you for your reviews.

Emily, we wrapped up last week, but I'll count the books since they get you to your level 2 prize. Be sure to pick up your prizes before the end of the month.

message 38: by Mirkat (new)

Mirkat | 209 comments I think I've actually completed six books, but I don't want ice cream, so don't worry about it....

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.