Play Book Tag discussion

August 2018: Espionage > Decathlon: The Thirty-Nine Steps - John Buchan - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jennywilliams88) | 676 comments Recommended by Barbara M & Critterbee

Blurb: Adventurer Richard Hannay, just returned from South Africa, is thoroughly bored with London life - until he is accosted by a mysterious American, who warns him of an assassination plot that could completely destabalise the fragile political balance of Europe. Initially sceptical, Hannay nonetheless harbours the man - but one day returns home to find him murdered... An obvious suspect, Hannay flees to his native Scotland, pursued by both the police and a cunning, ruthless enemy. His life and the security of Britain are in grave peril, and everything rests on the solution to a baffling enigma: what are the 'thirty-nine steps?'

Review: I really enjoyed this book and read it in one sitting. It gripped me from the first page with Hannay reminding me of John Watson before he meets Sherlock (and that probably makes Peter him!) It also helps that I can recognise certain plot points as the lead up to the First World War.

message 2: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7248 comments This sounds really good! Great "teaser" review-you got me to put it on my TBR!

message 3: by Idit (new)

Idit | 1028 comments I'm reading it now as well. It has been on my shelves gather dust for years, so I was very happy for an excuse to read it

Glad you enjoyed it. and I understand what you are saying about Watson.

message 4: by Joy (new)

Joy | 3 comments I read this and I also saw the West End show. The show is a comedy with only four actors but it is brilliant.

message 5: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5642 comments Joy wrote: "I read this and I also saw the West End show. The show is a comedy with only four actors but it is brilliant."

I've also seen the play ... hilarious!

Read the book a few years back - 4**** from me.