Play Book Tag discussion

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
This topic is about Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
Archive: Other Books > Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norell by Susanna Clarke--story 1.5 stars, audiobook production 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Karin | 7193 comments You may read the summary if you haven't already heard of this, but suffice to say it's an alternative history set in England, Italy and Fairy centering on two magicians but with a few other main characters whose POVs we also see. It's fair to say I haven't been interested in tales of magic since I was a teen, and it's also fair to say that I haven't been interested in darker novels since not much later than that, and this is both of these. I think the writing is fairly strong, but am not completely sure because the audiobook production is stellar and that could have influence that for me.

Why did I plough through this? 1. It was on audio and I have been doing a great deal of driving so listening to books helps. 2. It will garner me many points in a reading game. Had it only been for one of the two I am not like to have finished.

And yet, and yet....

Despite all of this if Clarke were to write a sequel and it was recorded by the same person, I might just listen to it to see if certain things are resolved.

Jgrace | 2937 comments She wrote a series of related short stories.
The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories

I think the audiobook had more than one reader.

message 3: by Karin (last edited Aug 06, 2018 01:47PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Karin | 7193 comments Jgrace wrote: "She wrote a series of related short stories.

I think the audiobook had more than one reader."

The one I listened to had one reader, Simon Preeble, but perhaps there is another I don't know about.

Jgrace | 2937 comments Karin wrote: "Jgrace wrote: "She wrote a series of related short stories.

I think the audiobook had more than one reader."

The one I listened to had on..."

Simon Prebble reads some of the short stories and Davina Porter reads others.
Here's the link to my review.
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Idit | 1028 comments This books is quite a commitment of you are not into it. I’m impressed you survived.

I listened to the audio and my husband read the print copy and we both loved it very much.
I love this whole fairy lore, loved the history, the Britishness, characters and writing ... more or less everything about it

And I agree - the audio was superb

Karin | 7193 comments Idit wrote: "This books is quite a commitment of you are not into it. I’m impressed you survived.

I listened to the audio and my husband read the print copy and we both loved it very much.
I love this whole ..."

At the beginning of the novel, I though I would like it, but it wasn't my cup of tea, although it is quite gripping.

LibraryCin | 8614 comments Idit wrote: "This books is quite a commitment of you are not into it. I’m impressed you survived. ..."

It took me a year to read this one! I was so bored... LOL!

Ladyslott | 1880 comments I loved this book, I'm sorry you didn't like it.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5999 comments I listened to the audio ... 3.5*** but I rounded up to 4 stars on the strength of Simon Prebble's performance on the audio.

message 10: by Hebah (new) - added it

Hebah (quietdissident) | 675 comments Hmm. Good to know the audio version comes highly recommended. I believe the book has a number of footnotes and such, so I was skeptical of how well that would translate to audio.

Karin | 7193 comments Hebah wrote: "Hmm. Good to know the audio version comes highly recommended. I believe the book has a number of footnotes and such, so I was skeptical of how well that would translate to audio."

They work very well on audio, and each has its own track. However, it flows smoothly. I think this probably works better on audio most of the time than looking down to the tiny print to read it.