AMERICAN HISTORICAL NOVELS discussion

A Day in the Life

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kari (last edited Aug 06, 2018 01:12PM) (new)

Kari (karibovee) | 98 comments Mod
On June 20, 2018, the day after my book, Girl with a Gun – An Annie Oakley Mystery, was released, I was featured in a wonderful book blog called, Dru’s Book Musings. The assignment was to write about a day in the life of my book’s main character, Annie Oakley. It was so fun to again immerse myself into my imaginings of what went on in Annie’s mind and heart for the post. She had a difficult childhood, and found solace in her family and also in the relationship she had with her horse. You can read it here: https://drusbookmusing.com/2018/06/20...

A typical day in my life starts with meditation and positive affirmations before I even get out of bed. I have found that this ritual performed before my mind is bombarded with all the things I will have to do in the coming hours, days, weeks, etc., really keeps me grounded. Once up, I like to do a little stretching or yoga to wake up my body. After that, breakfast, (most important meal of the day, people!) coffee, catching up with reading and emails, catching up with social media—all with my husband doing the same, sitting right next to me. It’s funny, if he has to go to work early, or I have an early appointment and we can’t partake of this ritual together, I feel a little jolt of disappointment and disjointedness. I soon get over it as I head to Pilates, or go out to the barn to ride one of my horses. Exercise and/or fresh air really gets my head straight and prepares me for the rest of the day, which usually consists of writing or editing.

I’d love to hear about your typical day. Remember to comment to be eligible to win one of three copies of Girl with a Gun!

message 2: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 24 comments My typical day starts out with my dog waking me up too early and me convincing her to just rest a bit longer. Then I take them out and get their breakfast ready. I check on emails, facebook, and goodreads before I have my breakfast and them feed them. Time to take them for a walk and them do any outside chores before getting ready for the day. What happens next depends on the day and the heat. Could be running errands, taking the pups to a park for a nice long walk, taking a pup to therapy, the list goes on. Then home for the rest of the day and eventually dinner and then reading.

message 3: by Beverly (new)

Beverly Kari wrote: "On June 20, 2018, the day after my book, Girl with a Gun – An Annie Oakley Mystery, was released, I was featured in a wonderful book blog called, Dru’s Book Musings. The assignment was to write abo..."
I am struck in reading about Annie's day how the demands of chores were addressed first at the beginning of the day. Like you, Kari, I begin my day with meditation and journaling. Then I head to the Fitness Center here in my condo complex before I have breakfast, do email or any other tasks. I realize it is a luxury to take those first hours for myself and not have to provide for the needs of others as my grandmother did and as did so many other women during those pioneer days (and so many must do today too)

message 4: by Martha (new)

Martha Conway | 255 comments Mod
I love this thread!

My youngest is going off to college in the fall, so up until this summer I have had some amount of getting my kids off to school before I can focus on myself (though I've had to do less and less as the years go by). I try to quickly skim my email while I'm brewing my coffee in case there is anything urgent, then I head right down to my office to write.

If I get three or four hours of writing time in, and I feel great. If I don't get my hours in, or if I delay and other chores begin to get in the way, I feel not-so-great. I wish I only had to learn that lesson once, but instead I have had to learn it seven hundred times, and I still let other chores get in the way! ugh.

Martha

message 5: by Martha (new)

Martha Conway | 255 comments Mod
Kari wrote: "all with my husband doing the same, sitting right next to me. It’s funny, if he has to go to work early, or I have an early appointment and we can’t partake of this ritual together, I feel a little jolt of disappointment "

This is lovely. Thanks for sharing that.

message 6: by Dyana (new)

Dyana | 189 comments I start out feeding my two cats. Then I make coffee!! Usually have oatmeal with honey, almonds and blueberries. I usually read at night.

message 7: by Kari (new)

Barbara wrote: "My typical day starts out with my dog waking me up too early and me convincing her to just rest a bit longer. Then I take them out and get their breakfast ready. I check on emails, facebook, and go..."

Sounds like your dogs are pretty lucky to have you!

message 8: by Kari (new)

Martha wrote: "I love this thread!

My youngest is going off to college in the fall, so up until this summer I have had some amount of getting my kids off to school before I can focus on myself (though I've had t..."

Lol, Martha! I know what you mean about learning those lessons. ;)

message 9: by Kari (new)

Beverly wrote: "Kari wrote: "On June 20, 2018, the day after my book, Girl with a Gun – An Annie Oakley Mystery, was released, I was featured in a wonderful book blog called, Dru’s Book Musings. The assignment was..."

Beverly, it is indeed a luxury to take time for ourselves in the morning, and I am so grateful I can do it!

message 10: by Rebecca, Champagne Widows, 2021 (new)

Rebecca Rosenberg (rebeccarosenberg) | 270 comments Mod
Two ways to go: either make a cup of coffee, light a candle and start writing, OR run a bath, light a candle and read! Heavenly.

message 11: by Debbie (new)

Debbie | 78 comments I’m up very early for work. Shower and get ready. Breakfast and a cup of tea. Then off I go! LOL

message 12: by Ellen (last edited Aug 08, 2018 08:00AM) (new)

Ellen Notbohm | 33 comments My muse is strongest in pre-dawn darkness. She guides my hand to my pencils and my lone, small cup of coffee for the day, and surrounds me with the peace that spawns creativity. This is how most of my generative writing happens, winter being far more fertile than summer. When the sun cuts through the trees, it's on to yoga, family responsibilities and, alas, the necessary but less-fun business end of writing. Long days end with knitting--I unwind along with the ball of yarn--and my indispensable bedtime routine: reading until the eyes droop like honey from a spoon.

message 13: by Beverly (new)

Beverly I love this thread and hearing how people start their days. Back when I worked a challenging job, I rose with the pre-dawn darkness to meditate and read. Then I was scurrying to get ready for the day, chat with my daughter before she headed off to school. I arrived early at the office and focused on tasks that required my clear morning concentration. Now that am retired with more flexibility, my morning routine of meditation and exercise is sacred time. Then I can focus on writing or projects or household tasks and hopefully be productive but flexible.

message 14: by Linda (new)

Linda Ulleseit (lindaulleseit) | 50 comments My typical day starts with coffee and quiet--I'm always the first one up. I like to snuggle in with my two yellow Labradors and read while I have that first cup of coffee. Then, on to the computer for an hour of writing time. After that I walk the dogs, work in the yard, tool leather, write, play Facebook games...but all that will change soon. On August 20 I have to go back to school--I'm a teacher. August 22, though, will be my very last first day of school. I'm retiring at the end of 2019 school year. I am looking forward to long days of reading, writing, and dog snuggling!

message 15: by Linda (new)

Linda Bridges (lindajoyb) | 68 comments Linda wrote: "My typical day starts with coffee and quiet--I'm always the first one up. I like to snuggle in with my two yellow Labradors and read while I have that first cup of coffee. Then, on to the computer ..."

Enjoy your last year. I retired 10 years ago and love it. I do still tutor at a local elementary two days a week and the money isn't so good, but there is nothing like time.

message 16: by Mary Eve (new)

Mary Eve (maryevelynls) | 2 comments My morning ritual is always the same - giant cup of coffee from a soup-bowl sized mug and a book. Then, I kiss my husband goodbye and wish him a wonderful day at work. Then, return to book. If I can't read a couple of hours each day I can get really cranky.