Play Book Tag discussion

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking
This topic is about Quiet
Archive: Other Books > Quiet by Susan Cain - 4 Stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by AJ (new) - rated it 4 stars

AJ Timberlake (ajtimberlake) | 825 comments I have grown up in a family of extroverts and I spent most of my life believing that I was an extrovert myself–or at least I believed that I needed to put forth a hugely social front. My mom thought something might be wrong with me because I used to play by myself a lot and I preferred reading to most other activities. However, throughout my life I have been very talkative and friendly so I didn’t think the word “introvert” applied to me.

Around the age of 17/18 I took a Myers-Briggs test and was surprised that I came up as an introvert (INTJ, which I later discovered is the introvert personality type that finds it easiest to be pseudo-extrovert, which made sense to me). And around the same time I moved from being in my own room and being homeschooled to entering college and sharing a room with other people. I discovered that I had naturally spent a lot of time alone without even realizing that it was a vital part of who I am and only once that became a lot more difficult for me to did I realize that I struggled with how much social stimulation I was receiving.

In Quiet I felt more hopeful about who I am and less like there is something wrong with me. Feeling overwhelmed when my weekends are too full, enjoying reading and watching TV and other solitary activities, getting physically sick when I feel like I have spent too much time around people, enjoying contemplating deeper things and my favorite way to spend time with my fiancé being curling up on the couch and not feeling the need to say or do much except watch TV or read together. I think it helped me to learn more about myself so that I will be more willing to embrace these things about myself in future. Overall, I really enjoyed the read.

message 2: by Cheryl is busier irl atm. (last edited Aug 06, 2018 03:59PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cheryl is busier irl atm. (cherylllr) I found Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking a validating book, too. And yet it's more science, less self-help, than some ppl seem to think. It presents a new and authentic way to look at ourselves and at other ppl.

Too bad that some of the most assertive extroverts won't 'get' it, even if they can somehow be encouraged to read it. At least, the ones that write some of the negative reviews and a couple of ppl I'm acquainted with 'should' learn something from it, but can't (or won't).

Tessa (FutureAuthor23) | 229 comments I've always had a very strong sense of self and who I am, so I never felt like there was "something wrong with me". However, I grew up feeling the constant pressure to be extroverted by my family, friends, and basically everyone in society. In my early 20's I read The Introvert Advantage and it changed my life. I spent the next couple years trying to convince the most important and influential people in my life, who are all extroverts of course, to read it so that they could finally understand me and stop trying to make me conform. No one ever read it but in the year or two before my mom died, she tried hard to listen to and understand who I am and how I tick. I am grateful that someone at least tried. I have had Quiet next to my bed for years and still haven't gotten to it but someday I will!

Tessa (FutureAuthor23) | 229 comments Yes Cheryl that's the one

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh my goodness, this is a book I need to read. Great review, by the way.:) I'm such an introvert and I always have been. I have to be strategic in my plans because honestly too much and too many people absolutely exhaust me. The Meyers-Brigg personality test is fascinating and there are a few others as well. Its interesting to learn more about yourself so you understand yourself better. And to learn that you are normal for who you are!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Cheryl wrote: "I found Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking a validating book, too. And yet it's more science, less self-help, than some ppl seem to think. It presents ..."

I've seen this book as well. I have not yet read it. I have a few extroverts in my life that have finally "got me" over the last few years.:)