SSJCPL (Stockton-San Joaquin County Public Library) discussion

Reading Discussions > The Broken Girls

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brianna (new)

Brianna Anderson | 131 comments Mod
The Broken Girls is our winner for the next book in our Online Book Club and the first book not associated with summer reading. We'll start today and then finish up on September 3rd. Happy reading!

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Awesome! We have several copies in our library system, and we can request it for you through Link+ here:
http://csul.iii.com/search/?searchtyp...

message 3: by Brianna (new)

So far I am enjoying The Broken Girls. I love a good ghost story and one with old secrets. I will say it took me a minute to get used to all of the girls' names in the 1950 section of the story but now I think I have them all down. I am curious as to who Mary might be. The all black makes me think maybe a widow. And also, who is Mrs. Eden and what is her connection to the school? Could she be one of those students from the 1950s?

What are your theories?

message 4: by Brandi (new)

Brandi Morrill | 2 comments I just started the book last night and so far I'm really enjoying it. Definitely not my usual genre. Reading it at night may not be the best decision because it was creeping me out! I really want to know why Mrs. Eden would want to rebuild the school. There has to some connection there. It's really engaging so far and I can't wait to read more.

message 5: by Brianna (new)

That's awesome! I have also been reading at night which may not be the best decision. I swear I'm hearing new sounds! The imagination is something!

I really want to know why Mrs. Eden is rebuilding the school especially since it seems like there's no profit in it. I still think she was a former student or maybe even relative of a student or why the interest? I can't wait to find out!

message 6: by Jodi (new)

Jodi Crawford | 18 comments I stayed up super late or early?? And finished The Broken Girls. I really enjoyed the book. I liked that it was not just a murder mystery but also had the supernatural element and how it was woven together with the story but not essential to solving the crime. I appreciated that the unidentified murderer wasn't obvious or generic. The theme of "broken girls" and how they were disregarded and essentially thrown away was heartbreaking, it tied the book together through their individual stories over the years. The sisterhood bond of the Idlewild Hall girls and of Fiona and her sister as well as Fiona and (one of the girls. Trying not to give spoilers here. ) was poignant in their strength to fight for each other and those who couldn't fight for themselves. I found the descriptions of the school and the town to be the perfect backdrop to the stories and could easily imagine the cold and dank suffocation of the school. I love a good boarding school with secrets story.
Those girls weren't broken at all:)

message 7: by Brianna (new)

I loved the supernatural element too and how everything weaved together the idea of "broken" girls who were deemed unruly for their personalities or things out of their control or simply societal conceptions of the times. I loved that Fiona, a "broken" girl herself was able to give these forgotten women a voice. I really enjoyed the story as well and loved the cold Vermont setting. Boarding schools often house the best secrets!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I just got the book from our Link+ service, so I'll try to catch up this weekend. You all have made it sound really interesting! Boarding school with secrets, here I come!

message 9: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine (prettynerdie) | 1 comments I recently just finished this book and finally have the time to write a little review. This book has been on my radar since it has been published, however my ever growing reading list kept me pushing this title to bottom of the list. I listened to the book instead of reading of it and the narrator did an amazing job. This book was so captivating with the parallel ghost story and murder stories. Even though you already know the murderer and its not a true who-done-it, the book still makes you want to know what had happened, what was the cause, and what truly happened that night. Though one of the murders is unsolved and the story takes you through an investigation that should have happened decades ago; it felt secondary to Debbie and Mary Hand.

Three murder investigations at once. Seems like it would be hard to keep the reader engaged in each one but St. James did it. Bravo

message 10: by Brianna (new)

I agree wholeheartedly! This book captivated me from the start. I love a good ghost story and this one did not disappoint. The atmosphere was almost a character in itself and kept me reading and wanted to know the why of what happened both past and present. St. James definitely did a wonderful job engaging with the reader with every character!

message 11: by Brianna (new)

I would totally read a Mary Hand prequel! I thought that the ghost elements could have been beefed up as well. The author wrote those scenes with so much atmosphere and dread in them that I was hooked throughout each one wondering what would happen next and wanting to know more about Mary.