What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Childrens/YA: Artist/girl paints crab or shells?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (southern_muse) | 4 comments This book would be for child or tween girl, I think, probably 1960s or 1970s. There is a young girl who is good at art. She either lives with her grandfather or goes to live with him. I think he is well off and maybe gruff, or the girl is shy and/or doesn't know how to relate to him. The grandfather has a set of very nice, beautiful shells or ashtrays or something, painted with sea themes, such as crabs or fish or mermaids. I think the girl breaks one or loses one, not sure. She paints a replacement, the best work she can do, and hopes the substitution will not be noticed. The substitution is noticed, and the grandfather/the family is not pleased about her deceit. However, the grandfather/they, praise her artwork, because it is actually more lively and pretty than the original artist's work. This is my memory from 40-50 years ago, so I'm not sure how accurate it is in details. I do remember that I was inspired to try to paint a set of shells, with sea themes--mermaids, crabs, etcetera. This group has helped me before, so I hope someone can help me out again. I hope I've provided accurate details...

message 2: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4873 comments Do you remember the cover?
Part of a series?
Time period/locations story takes place?

message 3: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (southern_muse) | 4 comments Tab wrote: "Do you remember the cover?
Part of a series?
Time period/locations story takes place?"

No, I'm sorry, I don't. I don't remember it being part of a series (but then, it may have, without my having known so). It was not a picture book, so my guess it that it was made for children between grades 3 and 6. I think I read it before I turned 13.

message 4: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16144 comments Still looking, Deborah?

message 5: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (southern_muse) | 4 comments Well, I would have liked to rediscover this book, but can cancel this post if need be, since no one seems to know. I would say the book was written between 1925 and 1970, but probably was set in a somewhat earlier era. It was not written in the difficult, embellished style of an earlier era, and my memory of the grandfather and the situation makes me think of the older, wealthy gentlemen of the Georgian era. The little girl felt out of place in the mansion and in the stern atmosphere.

message 6: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (southern_muse) | 4 comments I forgot to say, I do not believe it was part of a series--or, if it was, it was not a well-known series such as The Boxcar Children or Nancy Drew or anything.

message 7: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16144 comments No need to cancel your post! We've had books solved after many years. Someone is bound to recognize it eventually. It's good to bump up your thread once in a while so it moves to the top of the group.