Gothicked (Gothic Novel Lovers) discussion

looking for a title

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lighthearted (new)

Lighthearted (lightheartedlibrarian) | 4 comments Hi all! Years ago, when I was in middle school, I read a book that I'd like to read again -- except I don't remember the title, author, or much about it. I remember that the main character was an unmarried woman and she was staying at a manor. She was walking the grounds and encountered a man she thought was the homeowner -- and she was puzzled when she saw him later and he acted like the encounter never happened.

My impression is that the lurker, the guy she met outside, is a cousin of the guy who owns the manor. I also have the impression that the homeowner is completely unaware of the lurker. A scene that stuck with me is that the lurker attempts to force himself upon the woman but she implies that she's with the other guy, correctly guessing this will stop him. Apparently, he's always felt second to the first guy and has no interest in her if she's already with his rival.

Unfortunately, I don't remember much more. I have the feeling that the estate is in the countryside, possibly moors. I also have a feeling that the lurker set fire to the home but I'm not certain.

The book would have been written sometime before 1982. I know that it's NOT Moon Fire by Lynn Benedict. The setting didn't seem right but the nearly identical brothers and the fire led me to give it a try.

Thanks in advance!

message 2: by Carrie (new)

Carrie Dalby | 16 comments It sounds like something I've read in the past few years. Let me go through my list of books on here and check.

message 3: by Carrie (new)

Carrie Dalby | 16 comments Possibly: The Landower Legacy by Victoria Holt but it looks like it was first published in 1984.

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (shipper) | 48 comments Lighthearted: Could the book be: On The Night of The Seventh Moon by Victoria Holt?

message 5: by Lighthearted (new)

Lighthearted (lightheartedlibrarian) | 4 comments I'm pretty sure it's not a Victoria Holt title. I've scanned most of her book descriptions, to see if anything clicks, but so far nothing. Thanks for trying! I'm determined to figure out the title/author.

message 6: by Carrie (new)

Carrie Dalby | 16 comments Landower Legacy does have the lurking cousin at the estate, that's what made me think of it.

message 7: by Lighthearted (new)

Lighthearted (lightheartedlibrarian) | 4 comments Yes, the lurking cousin is a significant detail -- and Victoria Holt is one of my favorite authors. The publication date is key -- my mom died in 1982 and I'm pretty sure that it was one of her books.

I scanned a few reviews of LL, just in case I'm misremembering that it was one of mom's books. I remember reading it (in fact, I have a copy on my shelf at home), but the book I'm looking for has a much darker atmosphere. More psychologically twisted. If any other titles come to mind, please share. Thanks!

message 8: by Carrie (new)

Carrie Dalby | 16 comments No problem. I'll see what else I can think of.

message 9: by Lighthearted (new)

Lighthearted (lightheartedlibrarian) | 4 comments Lighthearted wrote: "Hi all! Years ago, when I was in middle school, I read a book that I'd like to read again -- except I don't remember the title, author, or much about it. I remember that the main character was an u..."

I gave up on this search for a bit but I started again this past week. I thought I'd found the answer when I started reading Catherine Cookson's House of Men -- but the key details missing are the scenes when the woman has a conversation with the lurker but thinks she's talking to the main guy and the scene when the lurker lets the woman go after she lies and says that she is with the other guy.

message 10: by Taffeta (new)

Taffeta | 4 comments Trelawny by Isabelle Holland?