What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Opposite of Love
This topic is about The Opposite of Love
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Young Adult Book: Mixed-Race Female Protagonist (Cover Has A Bowl Of White Buttons W/One Black One In The Middle). [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Annelisa | 15 comments Hello, dear Compatriots! I hope that all is going well with you. I'm looking for a young adult book that I read circa 2004-2007. It's about a mixed-race female protagonist (Black father, white mother, she lives with her mom,) who feels out of place in her mostly-white, lower-middle class town. She doesn't have any contact with her dad, and I believe that her mother had an issue with alcoholism, so she wasn't very reliable. Throughout the course of the book, she begins to take care of what she thinks is a young, orphaned Latino boy, in whom she sees various similarities, and tries to save him. I remember that she ends up romantically involved with her Indian-American best friend (whose name I believe was Krishna.) The cover of the book distinctly stands out in my mind. It had a large bowl of either buttons or pebbles, which were all white in appearance, with one black one in the center, meant to symbolize how the girl feels out of place. As always, your help is greatly appreciated. I'll speak with everyone soon!

Annelisa | 15 comments Tab wrote: "The Opposite of LoveThe Opposite of Love by Helen Benedict by Helen Benedict"

Bless you, my child. Thanks so much; I couldn't remember the author or the title for anything. Have a great day!

message 4: by Tab (new)

Tab (tabbrown) | 4999 comments You're welcome :)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Opposite of Love (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Helen Benedict (other topics)