SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ian (new)

Ian (troyka) I've just finished reading the Alex Verus series by Benedict Jacka but now I'm looking for something with a similar feel I read 48% of a Dresden file book before I diched it. the casual sexism and creep factor of the lead put me off.

Does anyone have any good recommendations for urban fantasy not YA and if it has half naked people on the cover I'm not interested.

Thanks

message 2: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 412 comments I'm very fond of the Kitty Norville series by Carrie Vaughn.

message 3: by Udayan (new)

Udayan | 62 comments You can try Ben Aaronovitch’s Rivers of London series.

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman happens to be the best Urban Fantasy I have read. Hope you have read that.

message 4: by Udayan (new)

Udayan | 62 comments Sorry, I meant I have read.

message 5: by CBRetriever (new)

CBRetriever | 4627 comments Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs
Iron Druid series by Kevin Hearne
A lot of books in that genre by Charles de Lint that are set in Canada

message 6: by Trike (new)

Trike The Iron Druid series by Kevin Hearne is pretty similar. A 2,000-year-old druid who gets involved with gods and supernatural beings while running a magic shop in Arizona. First one is Hounded.

For something slightly different, try the Tales of the Ketty Jay by Chris Wooding. Magic adventure with a crew of roustabouts on the airship Ketty Jay. First one is Retribution Falls.

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 3 comments Don't know if it's just me but I found Ben Aaronvitch's writing at times sexist which put me off continuing with the series.

Neil Gaiman always readable though.

message 8: by thalassic (new)

thalassic | 50 comments Greywalker Greywalker series by Kat Richardson

Hot Lead, Cold Iron Mick Oberon series by Ari Marmel

Half-Resurrection Blues Bone Street Rumba series by Daniel Jose Older

Dead Things Eric Carter series by Stephen Blackmoore

Sixty-One Nails Courts of the Feyre series by Mike Shevdon

A Madness of Angels Matthew Swift series by Kate Griffin

message 9: by Bobby (new)

Bobby | 869 comments If you want something a little bit lighter, try The Utterly Uninteresting and Unadventurous Tales of Fred, the Vampire Accountant. The 5th book just came out, but this is the first one. It's about an accountant who gets turned into a vampire, and just keeps on being an accountant. There's lots of funny moments, but also some good action and all of the things that make up an urban fantasy.

The books are composed of short stories of the specific adventures Fred has, but they are all connected, so it feels more like a full novel, just with very distinct stopping points. For example one story will end, and then a few days or weeks will go by off the page, and the next incident happens.

I'm not a huge Urban Fantasy fan, but I've added the first book in the Alex Verus series to my tbr list, as it sounds very interesting.

message 10: by Ian (new)

Ian (troyka) Thanks for the recommendations, I've downloaded hounded and the kitty jay books and will check out the others, after I Finnish The Rook.

It's great to get leads on new books in a category I'm not familiar with.

message 11: by Ian (new)

Ian (troyka) Rachel wrote: "Don't know if it's just me but I found Ben Aaronvitch's writing at times sexist which put me off continuing with the series.

Neil Gaiman always readable though."

I wasn't thrilled with rivers of London I read the first and started the second but got irritated by the discrimination of people's hair! Who cares it adds nothing. I didn't finish book 2 and probably won't try again.

message 12: by Allison, Fairy Mod-mother (new)

Allison Hurd | 13043 comments Mod
I really liked The Devil You Know. I've only read the first, I'm told the second isn't as good, but it's fine as a standalone.

Rivers of London I found at least entertaining but it did have issues, for sure.

Sandman Slim is pretty dark, like some of the Alex Verus stuff but a lot more vulgar. It's funny and high camp though, good fun.

message 13: by Meagan (new)

Meagan | 84 comments Jade City This was one of my favorite reads this year! It was so good!

message 14: by Barry (new)

Barry (boprawira) | 64 comments I haven’t read the books you mentioned, and I don’t typically read UF. But I’ve read the first book of the Divine Cities trilogy and it’s really good. City of Stairs is the title. It’s not YA at all, and the main character is female with a male assistant and no lovey dovey feelings between them.

message 15: by Robinhj (new)

Robinhj | 28 comments A Madness of Angels Without giving away any plot points, the book is about an urban sorcerer living in London, i.e. a person who can draw magic from the very essence of city life and the urban legends that go with it, but while the story might be loosely labelled as urban fantasy it is more 'American Gods' than 'Twilight'.

message 16: by Ian (last edited Aug 12, 2018 09:32AM) (new)

Ian (troyka) I'm currently reading the Rook and enjoying it enough to recommend it before I Finnish it.
It has a really interesting plot device and likeable people. Thankfully no romance orcs, vampires or zombies. Book 2 is already on my Kindle.

message 17: by Marc (new)

Marc (authorguy) | 348 comments Ian wrote: "I'm currently reading the Rook and enjoying it enough to recommend it before I Finnish it.
It has a really interesting plot device and likeable people. Thankfully no romance orcs, vampires or zomb..."

I got that one recommended to me a little while ago. I'll have to give it a look.
I enjoyed Ghost Electricity so much I already have the sequel on my kindle, but I'm reading From the Notebooks of Dr. Brain at the moment.

message 18: by Ian (new)

Ian (troyka) I'm trying to read Iron Druid series by Kevin Hearne, but I'm struggling, it looks like it could be worth sticking with and I'm greatful for the recommendations, but it reminds me why I generally avoid fantasy.

Stringing random letters together and expecting people can understand what kdhgrÅ is one of the things I hate about fantasy.
At least iron druid has a dictionary at the front although I almost deleted the book on principal, and it's next to useless on a kindle as going back and forward all the time is hard work.
I'm just substituting silly words and names with things like Kevin and Jane.

message 19: by Marc (new)

Marc (authorguy) | 348 comments Ian wrote: "Stringing random letters together and expecting people can understand what kdhgrÅ is one of the things I hate about fantasy.
At least iron druid has a dictionary at the front although I almost deleted the book on principal, and it's next to useless on a kindle as going back and forward all the time is hard work.
I'm just substituting silly words and names with things like Kevin and Jane."

It might be just badly written fantasy, which is not a reason to avoid fantasy in general. There are plenty of good books out there written in fairly standard english.

message 20: by Trike (new)

Trike Ian wrote: "I'm trying to read Iron Druid series by Kevin Hearne, but I'm struggling, it looks like it could be worth sticking with and I'm greatful for the recommendations, but it reminds me why I generally avoid fantasy.

Stringing random letters together and expecting people can understand what kdhgrÅ is one of the things I hate about fantasy...."

Erm... those aren’t made-up words, they’re Gaelic. Which is an actual language. Since the protagonist is a 2,000-year-old Irish druid, it makes sense. Do you have the same reaction to other languages?

Also, how have you avoided Science Fiction with invented words and alien languages?

“Frak, the ansible dropped the wave from the Proxima arcology and I don’t grok the positronics enough to fix it with the waldo because I’m no mentat. My droog said it was fine, but now I can’t write my gorram report on replicant artiforgs. Tanj!”

message 21: by Leticia (new)

Leticia (leticiatoraci) When it comes to urban fantasy, I liked this series: Magic Bites

message 22: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1327 comments lol Trike - Now I want to know what the few I don’t know are from!

message 23: by Ian (new)

Ian (troyka) Trike wrote: "Ian wrote: "I'm trying to read Iron Druid series by Kevin Hearne, but I'm struggling, it looks like it could be worth sticking with and I'm greatful for the recommendations, but it reminds me why I..."
I think it's entirely reasonable I don't recognise it's Gaelic it's not like I come across it every day, and as he is a made up 2000 year old druid it's also reasonable to think it's a made up language.
I don't read second language books. my French and Spanish is barely passable German is non existent..

I have no clue what you wrote at the bottom but really well done you.