Play Book Tag discussion

August 2018: Espionage > Need to Know by Karen Cleveland/3 Stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 10 comments Vivian is a CIA agent, wife, and mother of 4. Her job is to uncover Russian spies hiding in the US. One day she comes across a file that could ruin her family and makes her question everything she knows about her husband.

Normally, I would never have picked this book for myself but it was recommended by a coworker a while ago and then espionage was picked for this month’s topic so here we are. I liked it... it read more as a family drama/contemporary fiction with a little suspense rolled in than flat out thriller. Some of the plot lines really seemed to have holes in them (Vivian works for the CIA investigating Russia but she can’t read Russian?!) but it kept me hooked, wanting to know how it would all play out. A little ending twist gave it just enough to bump it from “Eh, it was fine.”

message 2: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 430 comments Have you seen the movie Allied? You absolutely should.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Nice review. I love how she is investigating Russia but doesn't read the language. That's a pretty big hole.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Nicole wrote: "Have you seen the movie Allied? You absolutely should."

Is this movie based off this book? Purely curious. I haven't seen it.

message 5: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 8214 comments You were kinder than I was, I gave it 2 stars. Espionage use to be my go to genre, so when I read them now, I always compare to the better ones I have read. This one never grabbed me the right way.

message 6: by Jillian (new)

Jillian | 10 comments I’ve read that they’re currently making a movie from this book.