Play Book Tag discussion

The Thorn Birds
This topic is about The Thorn Birds
Archive: Other Books > The Thorn Birds

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Crumb | 159 comments My review can be found here.. and I hope you will visit it!
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 2: by Nicole R (new) - added it

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7717 comments Must. Get. To. This. Book.

Everyone has been telling me for YEARS that I will love it, and I totally believe them, but I just haven't gotten to it yet. I feel like the right time is rapidly approaching though...

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8299 comments This may have been one of the very first books that made me fall in love with reading.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Love your review. Sadly I have never read this book and back in the day when I first came across it I had no interest in it. Now that I've explored much more and read your review my interest is most definitely peaked.

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7254 comments I read this as a 20-something...many moons ago and it had been a favorite of mine since. I recall a lot of long nights staying up reading..

message 6: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5645 comments I also read it back in the late '70s ... when it was a new book!

Crumb | 159 comments As you will see in my review.. this is pretty much the best book I've ever read. It isn't just a book you enjoy.. It's a book that changes you. Unfortunately it has ruined me for other books.. but yes.. I welcome that feeling.

message 8: by Karin (last edited Aug 06, 2018 01:44PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karin | 6928 comments I liked this book when it was fairly new, but will no longer read anything by her after some things she publicly stated that she thought the men should have been allowed to rape underage girls because they were following custom. https://www.smh.com.au/world/pitcairn...

Crumb | 159 comments Thank you for sharing this article with me. I am disgusted. This has completely tarnished my view and respect that I had for this book. I will definitely be amending my review.

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7254 comments Karin wrote: "I liked this book when it was fairly new, but will no longer read anything by her after some things she publicly stated that she thought the men should have been allowed to rape underage girls beca..."

OMG!!! This is awful, I had never heard about this either-thank you for sharing

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7254 comments I just did a little more research-there was a book written about this
Lost Paradise

message 12: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 365 comments Well, I added this earlier today as it sounded intriguing, but now I have zero interest in reading anything she has written, definitely deleted from my TBR. This is just very sad, thank you for sharing the article Karin.

message 13: by Nicole R (new) - added it

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7717 comments Well, that is horrific. But I am still gonna read the book.

message 14: by Karin (last edited Aug 06, 2018 05:24PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karin | 6928 comments Nicole R wrote: "Well, that is horrific. But I am still gonna read the book."

Sure. I only learned about this this summer because I was planning to read another book by her and a Kiwi friend of mine told me about this. I was horrified.

BUT, that doesn't change the story she wrote.

Crumb | 159 comments Joanne wrote: "I just did a little more research-there was a book written about this
Lost Paradise"

Oh, wow! Thank you for sharing that Joanne. I'm definitely going to have to look into that.

Crumb | 159 comments Hilde wrote: "Well, I added this earlier today as it sounded intriguing, but now I have zero interest in reading anything she has written, definitely deleted from my TBR. This is just very sad, thank you for sha..."

It is so sad.. Hilde. It was a great story.. completely wonderful. But I can't help but feel cheated.

Crumb | 159 comments Nicole R wrote: "Well, that is horrific. But I am still gonna read the book."

Nicole.. I don't blame you. It is a marvelous book. It is just so sad that the author feels that rape is OK.

message 18: by Nicole R (new) - added it

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7717 comments While I do not agree with the authors stance, I think boiling her position down to a blanket statement that she thinks rape is okay is an overstatement.

She did not say she thinks rape is okay. She said that she thought in this instance that the cultural norms of the indigenous people should be considered. I do not agree with that, but it is not a wild and crazy out-of-left-field statement. There is a lot of academic debate as to what lens crimes should be viewed through when dealing with different cultures that have different norms and values.

I read books by rapists and murderers and philanderers. People who support communism and fascism. Racists and sexists. Most of us do but may not realize it.

Just because I read their books does not mean I support their opinions. Of course, I certainly understand choosing to NOT read a book by an author whose opinion you do not agree with, and I too would not hesitate to draw that line if I personally felt that was necessary for me.

message 19: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8299 comments This sounds like a really interesting Sunday Conversation. I’m with Nicole by the way. That we read all kinds of interesting stories from Fox we might not necessarily support their views or stances on things.

message 20: by Nicole R (last edited Aug 07, 2018 07:10AM) (new) - added it

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7717 comments Well, rape is a little more serious than disagreeing with someone on Fox, but I guess you could stretch and say it is similar if you continue to support the organization despite several high ranking men being ousted for sexual harassment! You could say that about Matt Lauer too! Ugh, you can say that about way too many people these days.

To be clear though, I do not support rape even if it is consistent with cultural norms and believes. I believe there is a universal human right to bodily integrity and autonomy that transcends culture. But, that is my personal belief and there are definitely educated and well-respected people who do not think that way. So, I do not think her views are some unsupported fringe ideas despite my not agreeing with them.

And, the issues gets murkier for me when it is whether cultural/religious beliefs/norms should be considered in other aspects of life that are less egregious than rape.

message 21: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8299 comments My phone unfortunately AutoCorrect. I meant to say folks and I think the phone itotally took that in a different direction. So sorry. I meant to say that we read all kinds of very good things from people whose views we don’t necessarily support. There maybe times to draw a line. On the other hand I wanted to read more closely what you just said because perhaps there something at to respond to you about the media angle, but that was so not where I was going. My apologies

message 22: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8299 comments Ok - you are right Nicole, this gets to be a very murky not to mention timely area, even when this shit absolutely be clear cut. I wonder if our judgment or compassionate changes if were speaking about history and religious and cultural norms then when were speaking about our deeply held beliefs that are in the Zeitgeist of our current times. I’m not sure about that so I may need to reserve my thoughts. But I do think that there are not distinctions that matter, but nuances and subtleties worth considering.

Blurry thinking due to being on page 222 of their town and totally sobbing. Completely partial and subjective in this moment.

message 23: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8299 comments Again my phone misspeaks for me this morning. Folks not Fox.

message 24: by Nicole R (new) - added it

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7717 comments Amy, I have some of the same feelings about judging historical people/figures for their actions based on the laws/public sentiment of today.

I think there are certain things that are atrocious no matter the time because I believe they violate basic human rights, but then it blurs as you move from black and white issues and into the gray areas.

It really is an interesting academic topic, but I have hijacked this thread with a moral/philosophical discussion, which was not my intention! lol

message 25: by Hilde (new)

Hilde (hilded) | 365 comments Nicole R wrote: "While I do not agree with the authors stance, I think boiling her position down to a blanket statement that she thinks rape is okay is an overstatement.

She did not say she thinks rape is okay. S..."

Actually, I agree with you too. Just got so queasy when I read that article, a grown women supporting rape of children.. No culture can excuse that.

Karin | 6928 comments Nicole R wrote: "While I do not agree with the authors stance, I think boiling her position down to a blanket statement that she thinks rape is okay is an overstatement.

She did not say she thinks rape is okay. S..."

Correct, she doesn't give a blanket okay to rape. But I just can't read a book by someone I know with this stance in this case. There are actors I stop watching if I learn certain things about them, too, not just novelists. However, I can respect that others can still read novels by her because in her mind she was defending a culture.

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Nicole R wrote: "Must. Get. To. This. Book.

Everyone has been telling me for YEARS that I will love it, and I totally believe them, but I just haven't gotten to it yet. I feel like the right time is rapidly approa..."

I cannot believe you have never read this book! You need to rectify that!