Art Lovers discussion

Guess Who (by artist bio) > Who Am I?---Agnolo Bronzino

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8385 comments ____________ was a stand-out artist of the second-wave of Italian Mannerism... He lived his entire life in Italy and modeled his painting style so closely to his Italian Mannerist mentor, that art historians today still debate the origin of several paintings.

_____________ was born to a poor family, his father was a butcher. He started his art education at the age of 11. At age 12, Jacopo Carucci, better known as Pontormo, painted the young ______________ into a piece he was working on called Joseph in Egypt.

When ______________ was 19 years old, the plague broke out in Florence and so Pontormo and his apprentice left the city to avoid the Black Death.

There are not many examples of _____________'s independent work from his childhood until the late 1520s. _____________ either stuck solely to assisting Pontormo and didn't endeavor his own work, or his work from his early career has been lost.

___________ eventually became court painter to the powerful Medici family of Florence and became famous for his portraiture style which meshed a detached realism, depicting cold and often arrogant expressions of his noblemen sitters, with bold colors such as ice blue and raspberry red. His portraits have proven to be his primary legacy and influenced portraiture painting for a century following his death.

Toward the end of ____________'s life he helped found the Accademia dell'Arte del Disegno, translated as the Academy of the Art of Drawing, in 1563. The school was funded by the Medici.

____________ died on November 23, 1572, at the age of 69.

Who Am I?

(view spoiler)

message 2: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 368 comments Bronzino?

message 3: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8385 comments You’re on a roll Connie! You do know your artists!

Curious question, what gave you the answer? Or do you just know a lot about his life?

message 4: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 368 comments Heather wrote: "You’re on a roll Connie! You do know your artists!

Curious question, what gave you the answer? Or do you just know a lot about his life?"

He was Italian, the blue and raspberry in the portraits, the Medici patronage, and you gave his date of death.

Actually, my art history knowledge is very scattered but I do try to sign up for lifelong learning classes and films as well as visit museums.

message 5: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8385 comments Connie wrote: "He was Italian, the blue and raspberry in the portraits, the Medici patronage, and you gave his date of death.

Actually, my art history knowledge is very scattered but I do try to sign up for lifelong learning classes and films as well as visit museums. ."

That's awesome! Yes, I figured the Medici influence would be a big clue. The only other artist I know to whom they gave patronage was Michelangelo. But I'm sure there are more artists I'm not aware of.
My art history is 25 years rusty. It's great that you keep up with it!

message 6: by Connie (new)

Connie G (connie_g) | 368 comments The House of Medici was a prominent family in Florence for centuries, and included wealthy bankers, and prominent clergy in the Church. They commissioned everything from portraits to religious art from many artists. I wish I knew more about them since the family and the artists they sponsored are fascinating.