YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

The Crossover
This topic is about The Crossover
BUDDY READ: Contemporary/Romance > The Crossover by Kwame Alexander - Starting 6th August 2018

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 46570 comments Mod
"With a bolt of lightning on my kicks . . .The court is SIZZLING. My sweat is DRIZZLING. Stop all that quivering. Cuz tonight I'm delivering," announces dread-locked, 12-year old Josh Bell. He and his twin brother Jordan are awesome on the court. But Josh has more than basketball in his blood, he's got mad beats, too, that tell his family's story in verse, in this fast and furious middle grade novel of family and brotherhood.

Josh and Jordan must come to grips with growing up on and off the court to realize breaking the rules comes at a terrible price, as their story's heart-stopping climax proves a game-changer for the entire family.

Style: I love the style of this book. I went into this book knowing nothing, only the length. I loved how I could hear the poetry and the rhythm of it, the way it was written in verse.

Definitions: I also think the definitions add such a unique different element to the whole story. And the way they use them in context as well, I just really appreciate.

78% (view spoiler)

His mother (view spoiler)

Romance (view spoiler)

93% (view spoiler)

Oh wow the name of the book has two meanings!

Review: I've never listened to an audio like this one. It combined so many cool elements to make a unique storyline. Even the fact that I listened to the audio didn't take away from the way it was told in verse, as the rhymes and pronunciation made it clear how it was meant to be read, and I think it made it better than what I could have read it. It packed a lot of feeling into this one, and the definitions add such a unique different element to the whole story. And the way they use them in context as well, I just really appreciate.
I like how the romance is between (view spoiler), rather than him. It's a nice change.
I'm really glad I chose to listen to this one for my challenge.

Karen Barber | 10138 comments This is one that has gone down a storm with reluctant readers in school. I'm told the voice is quite distinctive, so I'm looking forward to reading this.

Yes it's so good!

Karen Barber | 10138 comments 24%- I never imagined myself reading a book about basketball. Anyway, the style is immediately engaging and there’s an energy to it that sucks you in.

It was so interesting

Karen Barber | 10138 comments 55% - the appearance of the girl is causing a rift between the brothers.

Karen Barber | 10138 comments 71% - it’s a worry how dad is ignoring his obvious health problems.

Karen Barber | 10138 comments Finished. Review on home page. Amazing you can have such impact with so few words.

I agree!