Play Book Tag discussion

Sabrina
This topic is about Sabrina
Archive: Other Books > Sabrina - Nick Drnaso - 2 stars

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susie | 4488 comments The first graphic novel to have been selected for the Man Booker longlist, and I am baffled. It did not work for me at all. I found the dialogue juvenile and stunted, and I have no idea what the point was. Some of the drawing was clever, such as the strips when the protaganist was asleep, but overall I just don't get it. I mentioned on my Instagram account that I should have know when it was endorsed by Zadie Smith that I wasn't going to like it! I highly doubt that this will make it to the shortlist, but then I don't know what it is doing on the longlist either so who am I to say?

Idit | 1028 comments I’m on the waiting list at my library and was carefully excited about it
But I don’t understand the Booker nomination as well

It’s not a very old award, and it’s well established and respected, but they feel very restless and insecure lately - adding American novelists, graphic novel and a crime mystery and doing the best of booker award. They should stick to their ‘brand’ for few more dozens of year before they start experimenting

KateNZ | 2207 comments This sounds really disappointing. Mine hasn’t arrived at the bookshop yet, and now I’m not looking forward to it at all :(

I agree with Idit that the Booker seems to be trying a little too hard to attract in other audiences. I’m not sure how you compare a graphic novel against standard prose novels. But since they’re going that route, they need to pick something that’s a genuine contender. I’m sure there are loads of excellent graphic novels out there

Tracy (tstan) | 1173 comments I liked it. I think it’s supposed to be a commentary on modern society- the anxiety of the times and the fear of losing those who mean the most. The more I think about it, the deeper it gets...

Tracy (tstan) | 1173 comments I’m not sure if it qualifies for the Booker, but I think it’s ok to shake the prize up a bit once in a while. I still wish Ali Smith would have entered Winter!

KateNZ | 2207 comments I’m glad to hear a different view on it, Tracy - whether or not I end up liking it, it makes for an interesting discussion!

Susie | 4488 comments I’m actually really angry about it, which possibly reflects my mood this afternoon! Some of the books that were passed over leaves me feeling aghast. I hear what you’re saying Tracy, but I couldn’t get past the stunted dialogue to get to the depth. I’m glad to hear than others have enjoyed it though. It makes me feel as though the place in the longlist hasn’t been wasted on everyone. Just me!

Susie | 4488 comments I also think I’m selling myself short by saying that I have no idea what the point was. I suppose I should have said that the point he was trying to make wasn’t conveyed as effectively as it could have been.

Susie | 4488 comments Tracy, has Ali Smith spoken about why she didn’t enter Winter? I couldn’t get past the floating head, but still think she is an exceptional writer.

Tracy (tstan) | 1173 comments Susie wrote: "Tracy, has Ali Smith spoken about why she didn’t enter Winter? I couldn’t get past the floating head, but still think she is an exceptional writer."

I think she was tired of always being the bridesmaid and never the bride.
I agree- it seems to be a very strange list, and there have been wonderful books that were passed over. The Shepherd’s Hut comes to mind.

Susie | 4488 comments I’m about to read Shepherd’s Hut so I’ll let you know what I think.

message 12: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2710 comments I had no idea that authors entered their books for consideration. How does that work? I understand publishers pushing books to get judges' attention, but I didn't think that involved an actual entry process. Do all the major book prizes work that way or just the Booker?

Tracy (tstan) | 1173 comments The publisher submits, but I read somewhere that Ali Smith said she doesn’t want her books submitted anymore. The judges can also call in a book that hasn’t been submitted by a publisher. Which I’m guessing is what happened with Sabrina and Snap.

message 14: by Sushicat (last edited Aug 06, 2018 11:42AM) (new) - added it

Sushicat | 804 comments I'm going to have to wait about 2 month for the thing to be shipped from the US to my comic bookshop... I try to order through them as I really want to see them thrive, but in this case it's a bit of a drag... Still looking forward to reading it. And even though I like to nudge people to give graphic novels more of a chance, I do think that this does not fit with the Man Booker prize.

Susie | 4488 comments Sushicat, have you already ordered it? I could send you my copy?