Play Book Tag discussion

In Our Mad and Furious City
This topic is about In Our Mad and Furious City
Archive: Other Books > In Our Mad and Furious City - Guy Gunaratne - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susie | 4488 comments In Our Mad and Furious City, another on the Man Booker 2018 longlist, is told from the perspective of three London teenagers, as well as two other periphery characters, all caught in the rising tension of anti-immigration sentiment in London post Brexit. The novel attempts to highlight that this is nothing new by reflecting on the past through two of the characters. The chapters are short and sharp and alternate between the characters, and grow ever shorter as the tension builds. I found the chopping and changing of characters jarring in the first half of the novel, and felt as though it stopped me from emotionally connecting, however it really did help to build the tension later on. The first person narrative felt authentic and convincing when applied to the three central characters, but didn't work as well for the other, and in my opinion weaker, characters. Overall I thought it was well done, but it is not the winner, I am sure of it.

Tracy (tstan) | 1195 comments This one is on its way to my house. I’m looking forward to it!

Susie | 4488 comments I hope you like it Tracy.