Play Book Tag discussion

The Fiery Cross
This topic is about The Fiery Cross
Archive: Other Books > The Fiery Cross / Diana Gabaldon - 3***

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6000 comments The Fiery Cross (Outlander, #5) by Diana Gabaldon
The Fiery Cross – Diana Gabaldon
Audible audiobook narrated by Davina Porter.
3***

Book number five in the popular Outlander series continues the saga of Claire Randall and Jamie Fraser. Now established on Fraser’s Ridge in a settlement populated by other Scots, they begin to recognize the rumblings of the coming Revolutionary War.

Well, there’s plenty of drama and intrigue in these tales … personal and political. I’m getting pretty tired of Briana and Roger, and of Claire’s medical experiments (does she really think she can create penicillin?!). Finally – and I never thought I’d say this, but – I rather miss the sex scenes between Jamie and Claire. Oh, there are a few, but this is hardly the passion that fueled the first two books in the series. Still, it’s a ripping good yarn that moves at a quick pace and held my interest through 56 hours of audio!

And speaking of the audio … Davina Porter is absolutely pitch perfect in her interpretation of these stories. Every character comes to life and Porter gives them all believable voices. Brava.

LINK to my review

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments I JUST started this last night! Susie asked me if I was doing the audio. I am not because I already own the paperback, but I always have mixed feelings about these on audio. Everyone raves about Porter but 55 hours of an audio seems daunting!

Because audio is how I primarily read these days, listening to this would grind all of my other reading to a halt for about a month. Instead, it may take me longer to get through, but if I read in paperback then I can still listen to other things on my commutes.

One of these days I am going to listen though...maybe just not the longest book in their series! lol.

Oh man, I am definitely going to miss the sex. Not for prurient reasons, but because, when it is not rape, it is how Gabaldon brings these characters together.

And I already dislike nearly everything about Briana. I just want her to go back to her own time. And take Roger with her. But maybe leave Jemmy because Claire and Jamie are cute with their grandson.

And could we please get Jenny to the US?!? And can we please get some more scenes with Ian?!?

I am so demanding....

Jgrace | 2938 comments Jenny does get there, but not until the 8th book. I missed (Young) Ian for most of this book. I'm so glad he plays a big part in the later books.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6000 comments Jgrace wrote: "Jenny ..."

SPOILER alert would be nice....

Jgrace | 2938 comments Book Concierge wrote: "Jgrace wrote: "Jenny ..."

SPOILER alert would be nice...."

Sorry, but really, it leaves endless detail to the imagination.

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments Hahaha! Oh the spoilers that abound with these books!

I just let them roll off my back. I feel like I know about many of the things that will happen, but, so far, it hasn't diminished the enjoyment of the journey.

message 7: by LibraryCin (last edited Aug 06, 2018 11:06AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

LibraryCin | 8617 comments Nicole R wrote: "I JUST started this last night! Susie asked me if I was doing the audio. I am not because I already own the paperback, but I always have mixed feelings about these on audio. Everyone raves about Po..."

I wasn't a fan of the audio. I only listened to the first one, but since then, have gone with an ebook.

ETA: Let me clarify, it wasn't that I disliked the audio, it was just nothing special for me. Add that with the fact that I'm not always good with really long audios, and I prefer the ebook.

Although thinking about it now, it might be fun to listen to just one more of them, if nothing else, but for a reminder of pronunciation!

message 8: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I think I’m done with this series. I have read the first two, but I don’t feel compelled to go back. I think it’s because of what Nicole mentioned; the sheer length eats in to my other reading.