All About Books discussion

Book Chat > Graphic Novels/Comic Books

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tom (new)

Tom | 824 comments After reading the whole of Marvel's Civil War story arc last year, I decided to give DC a try and started reading their Rebirth line of comics this year. In between I've made a good start into Saga and a foothold on the God is Dead and the Sandman series.

What are your favorite Graphic Novels/Comics and/or what ones are you reading now? I kind of got sidetracked from Rebirth by the Death of Superman sale comixology is running this weekend. Good stuff.

message 2: by Petra (new)

Petra | 3259 comments I enjoy a graphic novel. I haven't read any of the Superheroes ones but I do have the first 2 volumes of the Sandman series (unread, as yet).

Graphic novels I've enjoyed are:
The Complete Maus
Habibi (marvelous artwork)
The Outside Circle: A Graphic Novel
The Underwater Welder
In Search of Lost Time: Swann's Way: A Graphic Novel
Essex County
Logicomix: An Epic Search for Truth
Blankets
Cages

I am not reading any at the moment. I pick them up time to time.
I enjoy the artwork as much as the storylines. So much can be told through art.

message 3: by Greg (new)

Greg | 7684 comments Mod
Me too!

Just a few I liked:

The Complete Persepolis
A.D.: New Orleans After the Deluge
One Hundred Demons

I like the superhero stuff too, but it's harder to pick out just a few. I like the artists Darwyn Cooke & Pia Guerra a lot.

P.S.: By the way, I was extremely irritated by the end of the Civil Wars story arc though Tom. I have never in my life been more annoyed by a conclusion!

message 4: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) This is a nice discussion which we were lacking so far, thanks Tom for bringing it up!

I don't read many graphic novels or comics, although I do from time to time. Among my favorites are The Complete Maus, The Complete Persepolis and Pyongyang: A Journey in North Korea. I love everything by Guy Delisle, I think he's great.

Like Petra, I enjoy the artwork as much as the storylines.

message 5: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 06, 2018 03:00AM) (new)

I loved The Complete Persepolis and thought it was a fantastic insight.

I am slowly learning how to read graphic novels. I think it's quite different to reading a novel, you do actually have to 'read' the artwork in order to gain the understanding of the book.

I have Stardust Nation on my shelves and I would like to read The Complete Maus

Does anybody have any more recommendations for non-fiction?

I'd also like an idea of a good place to start with the superhero stuff? I've watched most of the DC and Marvel films but understand the graphic novels will be completely different. It's a bit overwhelming as there is so much

message 6: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) Heather wrote: "Does anybody have any more recommendations for non-fiction?"

You might want to try Guy Delisle. His wife works for MSF and he follows her around the world, writing the story of what he sees there. My favorite is Pyongyang: A Journey in North Korea, and I also loved Jerusalem: Chronicles from the Holy City. Burma Chronicles is good, but you might want to skip Shenzhen: A Travelogue from China, or at least don't make it the first you read by this author - I think it's his weakest.

message 7: by Tom (new)

Tom | 824 comments @Greg - care to post a spoiler tagged comment as to that ending? I could think of a few things that you might be talking about.

All these great mentions in this thread - I'll know where to go when I want a break from the superhero genres.

message 8: by Petra (new)

Petra | 3259 comments Tom, I have a Graphic Novel shelf that you're welcome to check out anytime you wish:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

You might find some titles there that peek an interest. I add them as I find interesting titles.

message 9: by Greg (new)

Greg | 7684 comments Mod
Tom wrote: "@Greg - care to post a spoiler tagged comment as to that ending? I could think of a few things that you might be talking about.

All these great mentions in this thread - I'll know where to go when..."

Hi Tom, I will definitely do that, but it takes a little explanation; so I won't get a chance until a couple days. I have some crushing work & school deadlines on Wednesday. After tbat, I'll be more free. :)

message 10: by Tom (new)

Tom | 824 comments No problem Greg. Circle back when you can.

If you're into digital comics, comixology is having a Vertigo sale on until 8/13/2018. Titles like Sandman, Lucifer, Preacher, iZombie etc.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Marina (Sonnenbarke) wrote: "Heather wrote: "Does anybody have any more recommendations for non-fiction?"

You might want to try Guy Delisle. His wife works for MSF and he follows her around the world, writing t..."

I've read some reviews which made comments on him being a bit xenophobic and misogynist and others which said he was hilarious and satirical. I think I will try Pyongyang: A Journey in North Korea

message 12: by Greg (new)

Greg | 7684 comments Mod
Tom wrote: "No problem Greg. Circle back when you can.

If you're into digital comics, comixology is having a Vertigo sale on until 8/13/2018. Titles like Sandman, Lucifer, Preacher, iZombie etc."

Thanks Tom! I'll check it out!

message 13: by Tom (last edited Aug 17, 2018 08:46AM) (new)

Tom | 824 comments Just thought I'd update that I'm finally into DC's Rebirth to the point where they are referencing past stories (within Rebirth) and I get the reference without having to look it up. So yay for that. I'm enjoying it so far, but the meta story is still very unclear (by design I'm sure).

Here's the reading order I'm using. My column is has stingo49 for a header. If anyone would like to join in on the fun, the more the merrier.

message 14: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Graphic novels are new to me -- and I made an unfortunate choice of my first: Locke & Key by Joe Hill. I hated it! Too violent and dark for me.

But I did like the only other one I tried: Dark Wraith of Shannara.

I recently got Star Wars, Vol. 1: Skywalker Strikes (I needed a Star Wars book for my sci fi bingo) and am looking forward to that!

message 15: by Tom (new)

Tom | 824 comments Leslie wrote: "Graphic novels are new to me -- and I made an unfortunate choice of my first: Locke & Key by Joe Hill. I hated it! Too violent and dark for me.

But I did like the only other one I t..."

Nice. I've not read any of the Star Wars comic books. I might if/when I take a break from DC Rebirth.

As a side note, it seems to me comic book readers are far more demanding in their expectations etc by reading their reviews.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

The Tragical Comedy or Comical Tragedy of Mr. Punch by Neil Gaiman. Gaiman knows how to end a story, which is an art not many possess.