What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA/Juvenile mythological quest novel about Pacific Northwest Native American kid

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jason (last edited Aug 23, 2018 05:06PM) (new)

Jason Das (floodfish) | 1 comments I am looking for a juvenile/YA novel that I used to take out of the library in the early 1980s. I suspect it was published in the 1960s or 1970s. It didn't seem super-new in the 1980s, but also didn't seem old-fashioned. The book was in English and presumably published in the USA or Canada.

If I remember correctly, it is about a Pacific Northwest Native American boy who has adventures with mythological villains, including basket woman/ogress/witch and a giant who has a castle-like home full of traps and hazards, including a bed made of spikes. Towards the beginning he is lost in the woods and collecting beautiful stones; I think one of the stones turns out to be a charm or useful later in the story.

I'm not sure if it is a retelling of a traditional folktale, or an invented story using traditional mythology

It has very nice illustrations—delicately-colored and fairly detailed.

I can't find anything like this in the small town library where I used to take the book out every summer. No luck searching what I could think of on WorldCat, Google, or lists of Pacific Northwest books.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37536 comments Mod
Bump.