The Great American Read discussion

Nominations and Suggestions 2018 > September Nominations - Diversity - the winner is Americanah

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jacinta (new)

Jacinta | 70 comments I would be interested in reading Bless Me, Ultima; that's been on my to-read list for a while.

I have read and can recommend Americanah, Beloved, Oscar Wao, The Color Purple, Invisible Man, and Dorian Gray. My favorites of those are Beloved, The Color Purple, and Dorian Gray. (I'm not likely to reread for the group, but I might still jump in on discussions for one of these.)

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 915 comments I've read a lot of them....
I'd go for "Americanah"
"White Teeth"
and would re-read "Doña Bárbara¨

message 3: by J., Your Obedient Servant (new)

J. (jammons42) | 510 comments Mod
Tales of the City!

But i'll read anything I haven't already read.

message 4: by Heather (last edited Aug 06, 2018 10:13AM) (new)

Heather (bruyere) I would really like to read Beloved!

message 5: by Mandy (new)

Mandy | 41 comments I’ll read any of these - Americanah and Bless Me, Ultima are highest on my list

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Jessica I'm very interested in reading Beloved. I read Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison and I loved it. Looking forward to reading more of her stuff.
I've heard good things about Americanah and White Teeth as well.

message 7: by Jacinta (new)

Jacinta | 70 comments I'd also read White Teeth.

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) Tales of the City and White Teeth are very fun.

Bless Me, Ultima is interesting, but I was a little bored by it.

Oscar, Beloved, and Color Purple, Invisible Man are unforgettable and disturbing.

Never read Americanah or Another Country, or the others - they sound good.

I am wondering why Less is attracting attention, every professional critic seems to suggest it this month.

: )

message 9: by Skye (new)

Skye | 72 comments Invisible Man

message 10: by Inkspill (new)

Inkspill (runinkspill) Cool list, my 3 choices are

Another Country
Color Purple
Invisible Man

I've been meaning to read the first 2 for sometime and wouldn't mind reading the third one again

message 11: by Codie (new)

Codie | 61 comments Tales
White Teeth
Americanah

message 12: by Celia (new)

Celia (cinbread19) Bless Me Ultima
Dona Barbera
White Teeth

message 13: by Mary (new)

Mary | 6 comments Beloved
Invisible Man
The Color Purple

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 915 comments aPriL does feral sometimes wrote: "Tales of the City and White Teeth are very fun.

Oscar, Beloved, and Color Purple, Invisible Man are unforgettable and disturbing.
..."

April! So glad to see you here! Yay!

A colleague just asked if I wanted her copy of Less. She and her husband have insituted a "read it and pass it on" policy, and she had finished it. She liked it. I saw some of the reviews, and when some said it was self-involved, sort of a "Eat, Pray, Love" for gay men, I kind of wrote it off. If you read it and like it, let me know!

message 15: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "aPriL does feral sometimes wrote: "Tales of the City and White Teeth are very fun.

Oscar, Beloved, and Color Purple, Invisible Man..."

I listened to Less on audible and really liked it. Well read. Kind of self-involved, but that was actually addressed about the character/author.

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 915 comments Bonnie wrote: "Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "aPriL does feral sometimes wrote: "Tales of the City and White Teeth are very fun.

Oscar, B..."

I dunno, I was supposed to be the target audience for "Eat, Pray, Love", but all I could think when I was reading it was, "You had to go to three different countries around the world to achieve what you could have done on a retreat in upstate NY!? Man, I need such a tax write-off, lol!"

message 17: by Sue (new)

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 68 comments I'm reading Beloved right now. I vote for

Tales of the City
The Color Purple
Oscar Wao

message 18: by Charley Girl (new)

Charley Girl (charleygirl9) | 24 comments I did not like White Teeth but love Bless me Ultima, Beloved, Picture of Dorian Gray and The Color Purple.

Happy to read any of the below:
Americanah
Another Country
Brief Wondrous life of Oscar Wao
Coldest Winter Ever
Invisible Man
Tales of the City
Intuitionist

message 19: by Allegra (new)

Allegra | 11 comments Is that Dona Barbara by Romulo Galegos? The cover looks interesting but I'm not finding a plot description in English. Can anyone give me an idea of what it's about, or point me to something? Thanks

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "aPriL does feral sometimes wrote: "Tales of the City and White Teeth are very fun.

Oscar, Beloved, and Color Purple, Invisible Man..."

Will do, Linda! I put a hold on it at the library.

message 21: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 16 comments The Color Purple. Once you get past the first few disturbing chapters, it becomes a beautiful book with a wonderful, positive message.

Beloved is not Toni Morrison's best book. I preferred The Bluest Eye- again disturbing but really good.

Invisible Man bored me too much to finish it. I read the Cliffs Notes instead-something I tried not to do because professors always know.

Bless Me Ultima is a bit confusing and I found it kind of boring. I read that one on my own. The others I read at university.

message 22: by Elizabeth A.G. (last edited Aug 08, 2018 11:31AM) (new)

Elizabeth A.G. Hi, Allegra -- You can search Goodreads for this title (Doña Bárbara) and click on the "Translate" option that pops up. They give a short summary. Also, amazon.com provides a bit more of a summary but the book is a bit pricey with even the Kindle edition being about $10.00. My local library offers only the Spanish edition but I can request they purchase the title in English for Kindle. I haven't looked at book stores. Another option is to do a search for the title and you can find reviews that describe the book.

The amazon.com summary:
https://www.amazon.com/Do%C3%B1a-Barb...

Hope this helps! Another thought, you can look up the title on Wikipedia and find info. See the link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Do%C3%B...

message 23: by Elizabeth A.G. (new)

Elizabeth A.G. I would like to read Beloved; Tales of the City; or The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao. Nice selection of books.

message 24: by Elizabeth A.G. (new)

Elizabeth A.G. Allegra wrote: "Is that Dona Barbara by Romulo Galegos? The cover looks interesting but I'm not finding a plot description in English. Can anyone give me an idea of what it's about, or point me to something? Thanks"

Allegra, See if Message #23 helps

message 25: by Linda Abhors the New GR Design (last edited Aug 08, 2018 02:37PM) (new)

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 915 comments Elizabeth A.G. wrote: "Hi, Allegra -- You can search Goodreads for this title (Doña Bárbara) and click on the "Translate" option that pops up. They give a short summary. Also, amazon.com provides a bit more..."

Allegra wrote: "Is that Dona Barbara by Romulo Galegos? The cover looks interesting but I'm not finding a plot description in English. Can anyone give me an idea of what it's about, or point me to something? Thanks"

You beat me to it, E.A.G.!
That description is a bit dry. Can't honestly say that I've ever heard of it being the most widely read novel in L.A. before (I teach Spanish and Spanish American Cultures/Literatures), but okay......
It is more interesting than the Wiki synopsis says. There is a land dispute; the son of a rancher wants to put up fences; Doña Bárbara´s cattle keep invading his land. She's quite the figure, since in those days, in many countries, Napoleonic law was still in effect: women couldn't have a passport, bank accounts, own land, travel, without their husband's permission. So for her to have her own ranch, albeit small, is a big deal. In the middle of this dispute, he finds himself drawn to her. Some say that she's a witch, since her right-hand man is a member of a local indigenous group........That's all I'll say, but it's one of 3 novels where the countryside is a character unto itself, at a time when Spanish America had overthrown Spanish rule, and were trying to figure out for themselves who they were, what they wanted their laws to be, etc.

Linda Abhors the New GR Design | 915 comments Sigh...........and I see that some clod on Amazon is saying Doña Bárbara is magical realism.........sigh........no, it's a precursor, meaning all of the authors who wrote in the mr style (García Márquez, Allende), probably read it, as many do. But it was published before mr was a thing.

message 27: by Colleen (new)

Colleen  | 47 comments I highly recommend Americanah!

message 28: by Allegra (new)

Allegra | 11 comments Elizabeth A.G. wrote: "Hi, Allegra -- You can search Goodreads for this title (Doña Bárbara) and click on the "Translate" option that pops up. They give a short summary. Also, amazon.com provides a bit more..."

Thanks very much. I guess I'd better check the libraries before I get too involved.

message 29: by Allegra (last edited Aug 09, 2018 11:05AM) (new)

Allegra | 11 comments I guess I'll go with:

Bless Me Ultima
Tales of the City
Dona Barbara

message 30: by Allegra (new)

Allegra | 11 comments Linda Abhors the New GR Design wrote: "Elizabeth A.G. wrote: "Hi, Allegra -- You can search Goodreads for this title (Doña Bárbara) and click on the "Translate" option that pops up. They give a short summary. Also, amazon...."

Thanks. That certainly sounds way more interesting. TBR it is

message 31: by NancyJ, Moderator (last edited Aug 11, 2018 06:34AM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 1835 comments Mod
OOPs. I accidentally deleted the top post!

Please Nominate 1-3 books that you most want to read in SEPTEMBER. To break any ties, please mention which other books you'd be willing to read (or discuss if you've recently read it). The top 3-7 will go into the poll.

Here are the choices so far (in order) as of message 38:

Tales of the City *
Americanah*
White Teeth*
Color Purple*

Beloved
Bless me Ultima
Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

Dona Barbera
Invisible Man

Another Country
Picture of Dorian Gray (Oscar Wilde)
Coldest Winter Ever
Intuitionist

-------
So far I voted for Americanah. Added - Color Purple (since it made the cut). I might add one more later to break a tie.

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 23 comments Ughhhhh I hated 'WHITE TEETH'- Reading it was like, well, like pulling teeth! I actually DNF'd it, despite paying good $$ for a nice copy at the store, after all the (misleading) hype. Bummer.

I would vote for:
Americanah
The Color Purple

and..... has Roots: The Saga of an American Family
by Alex Haley been mentioned? Is it ok to suggest that one? Amazing book everyone should read at least once in their lives. I remember I read it in 7th grade while my friends were reading 'Babysitters Club' books and looking at me strangely. (NOT knocking the BSC books, tho! They are great, lol). Thanks, Jen from Quebec :0)

message 33: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Jennifer Lynn wrote: "Ughhhhh I hated 'WHITE TEETH'- Reading it was like, well, like pulling teeth! I actually DNF'd it, despite paying good $$ for a nice copy at the store, after all the (misleading) hype. Bummer.."

Hi Jen, Roots didn't make the GAR list. The TV mini-series was a huge hit when I was in school. It was very influential.

message 34: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Colleen wrote
QNPoohBear wrote:
aPriL does feral sometimes wrote:
..."

It sounded like you were making recommendations for others (which we appreciate), but it wasn't clear to me if you were voting on a book to read in September. Please let me know soon if you'd like to vote.

I'll keep this open until Friday.

message 35: by aPriL does feral sometimes (last edited Aug 09, 2018 09:41PM) (new)

aPriL does feral sometimes  (cheshirescratch) I vote for Tales of the City! And Americanah, or Brief Wonderous Life.

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 23 comments NancyJ wrote: "Jennifer Lynn wrote: "Ughhhhh I hated 'WHITE TEETH'- Reading it was like, well, like pulling teeth! I actually DNF'd it, despite paying good $$ for a nice copy at the store, after all the (misleadi..."

Ahhhhh OK

In that case, I would like to read/nominate the following:
Americanah
The Color Purple
The Picture of Dorian Gray

Thanks!! ---Jen from Quebec :0)

message 37: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

Charley Girl:

Do you have a top 1-3 from the list that you'd like to read?

message 38: by Charley Girl (new)

Charley Girl (charleygirl9) | 24 comments NancyJ wrote: "Charley Girl:

Do you have a top 1-3 from the list that you'd like to read?"

Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao
Tales of the City
Americanah

Thanks!

message 39: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

The Poll is open. These four books received the most nominations:

Tales of the City *
Americanah*
White Teeth*
Color Purple*

VOTE HERE:
https://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/6...

message 40: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie wonderful book. I loved it and look forward to chiming in with the discussions.

message 41: by NancyJ, Moderator (new)

I just read her short story that includes the two main characters. I liked that it drew me in right away.

message 42: by J., Your Obedient Servant (new)

J. (jammons42) | 510 comments Mod
I've not read any of her short stories. My introduction to her was actually through Beyonce, and then I read We Should All Be Feminists.