Play Book Tag discussion

The Black Ice (Harry Bosch, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #2)
This topic is about The Black Ice
Archive: Other Books > [Listopia] The Black Ice by Michael Connelly (3 Stars)

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jeremiah Cunningham | 717 comments The Black Ice by Michael Connelly
3 out of 5 Stars
Listopia Challenge

Narcotics office Cal Moore's orders were to look into the city's latest drug killing. Instead, he ends up in a motel room with a fatal bullet wound to the head and a suicide note stuffed in his back pocket.
Working the case, LAPD detective Harry Bosch is reminded of the primal police rule he learned long ago: don't look for the facts, but the glue that holds them together.

The Positives of The Black Ice
This is a mystery novel that is written for the mass public. There is no doubt about that and there is no looking for great writing or a mastery of the language. With that being said, I do generally enjoy Michael Connelly's writing and so far I have enjoyed the Harry Bosch series. A real positive for me so far is that Connelly does not feel the need to repeat the back history of his characters in every novel. While this makes the books a bit less standalone, it also keeps the story from getting bogged down. Oddly enough, the other thing I like about this books is the warped sense of time. A great deal happens in a short period of time almost to the point that time is no relevant to the story but in a really positive way.

The Negatives of The Black Ice
The negatives of this book are captured in the fact that it is written to be popular market fiction. The characters, other than Bosch, are not very well developed and the story line is extremely linear. Connelly does not bother the readers mind with subplots and side stories. From page one to the back cover the story is completely focused on the primary plot line. While this makes the book read very quickly, it takes away from the general pleasure of the novel.

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Love your review once again!! Out of curiosity have you read other books by him?

Jeremiah Cunningham | 717 comments Thanks Rachel. No, I have only read these two. I took on the listopia challenge and chose the list I did because I wanted to read Connelly's works in this sub-genre.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

He seems to be quite popular but I've not read any of his books.

message 5: by Susie (new) - added it

Susie | 4488 comments I loved these books in my early twenties. Based on your review I suspect that I probably wouldn’t now!

Jeremiah Cunningham | 717 comments Susie wrote: "I loved these books in my early twenties. Based on your review I suspect that I probably wouldn’t now!"

What about them would you not enjoy? No, they are not literary masterpieces but they are not bad when considering the purpose for which they are written.

message 7: by Susie (new) - added it

Susie | 4488 comments I think it’s because I read SO MANY crime novels in my 20’s that I have crime fiction fatigue, although there are still some that I enjoy. Now that we have access to reviews and ratings en masse, I steer away from anything that I think is going to be less than four star. Seeing a three star review would give me pause when deciding to read a book. It makes me wonder how that access has changed my reading choices. There was a time where word of mouth and a guess were the way we chose, and I don’t feel as though I read more unappealing books then than I do now. Musings from a tired woman who was woken up at 515 by her energetic son!

Jeremiah Cunningham | 717 comments Susie wrote: "I think it’s because I read SO MANY crime novels in my 20’s that I have crime fiction fatigue, although there are still some that I enjoy. Now that we have access to reviews and ratings en masse, I..."

You make so many interesting points in this response. I was actually thinking about the very fact of how we choose books last week. My wife and I took a trip to San Francisco and Napa Valley. While in Napa we popped into a great little Indie Book store called the Napa Book Mine where I picked up a copy of Warlight. I was thinking after visiting though about how different my visit was. Even though I wanted to check out the book store, I really went in looking for a particular book, which I already knew they had from checking online. Used to I would have browsed around and found a recommendation from the staff. Very different experience with everything we have access to now.