Horror Aficionados discussion

Book Recommendations > Audio suggestions

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 151 comments I have not read Robert McCammon yet but have been wanting to. I would like a suggestion as to which book to start with. I was thinking a Boy's Life might be a good one based on all the reviews, but would like some other opinions thrown out there too. Plan on listening to one on Audio so a book that has a good narrator would be nice.
Thanks

message 2: by Charles (new)

Charles | 51 comments Swan Song (dated somewhat) but is also an awesome read. Can't go wrong with Boy's Life either.

message 3: by Latasha (last edited Aug 05, 2018 01:08PM) (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 11084 comments Mod
oh honey! start with Swan Song or Usher's Passing if they have it. I still have not read or listened to A Boy's Life. I hear it's so great but I'm slacking. :(

message 4: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 151 comments Swan Song and The Wolf's Hour are two others that I thought might be a good beginning to his work. Lord the decisions...….
Thanks Charles and Latasha for the recommendations. Still pondering. LOL

message 5: by Greg (new)

Greg (popzeus) Boy’s Life is terrific, and highly recommended. I’m relatively new to McCammon myself but Boy’s Life is the best of those I’ve read so far, with the others being They Thirst and Swan Song.

message 6: by Lena (new)

Lena | 2473 comments I tried the Swan Song audiobook book a few months ago but the narrator was too baritone.
https://www.audible.com/pd/Fiction/Sw...

message 7: by Robert (new)

Robert Kratky (bolorkay) | 332 comments McCammon's "Night Boat" is a great example of pure "pulp horror". No great philosophy with this title, just pure horrific "fun".

message 8: by Latasha (new)

Latasha (latasha513) | 11084 comments Mod
Oh yeah, they thirst was good too. Your welcome.

Sarah-Grace (Azrael865) (sarah-grace) | 184 comments Check out Scribd - the membership for readers! Use my link to sign up and you'll get 60 days free: https://www.scribd.com/ga/6s4ogi

Sarah-Grace (Azrael865) (sarah-grace) | 184 comments Scribd. I found this subscription site a couple months ago. It is 8.99 per month for almost unlimited access to their library...ebook and audio. I use it to find books that I want and if they don't have it then I will use my Audible credits or purchase on Kindle. It is great.

message 11: by Lena (new)

Lena | 2473 comments I use Scribd too!

message 12: by Jessie (new)

Jessie | 151 comments Thanks. I will check out Sribd. I had never heard of it before.

I finally decided to listed to Boy's Life narrated by George Newbern. I am maybe an hour or so into it and like it so far. Heard bad things about the narrator but I rather like him.

message 13: by Char (last edited Aug 10, 2018 11:45AM) (new)

Char  | 14586 comments Mod
Boy's Life is my favorite book of all time. I hope you enjoy it.

My favorite audiobook of all time is of Michael McDowell's Blackwater: The Complete Caskey Family Saga, narrated by native Alabaman Matt Godfrey. It's excellent. :)

P.s. I believe I've only listened to one audio by George Newbern, but I enjoyed it! :)